• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Came for roms, stayed for nostalgia

Prismarine

Procrastimancer
Years
  • Hey y'all! Old fossil here.

If you're as old as I am, you'll remember:

-- Saturday morning cartoons: Gargoyles, Street Sharks, X-Men, Transformers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and POKEMON

-- The struggle of playing your Gameboy in the dark

-- Mewtwo Strikes Back setting a personal record for Longest Time Spent Not Blinking
    (And having your adult self cry when rewatching it years later)

-- "Electrode, Diglett, Nidoran, Mankey, Venusaur, Rattata, Fearow, Pidgey!"

:pink_laugh:^^

As you can tell, I've lived with this obsession for almost as long as Brock has with his.

A Classics fan, I grew up with Red, Blue and Gold, and watched the anime near-religiously. Never really got into cards so instead I battled on N64's Stadium which, back then, was the greatest thing since Gameboy Colour (NZ-born, hence UK Engrish is best Engrish).

After Johto, I fell off the wagon, didn't pay much mind to Sinnoh, Hoenn or Unova. Kind of outgrew the fanfare and wasn't following the direction the new series' took. A couple years back, I dabbled in Emerald when we first installed an emulator just for kicks. It relit the spark. We bought a mint condish' second-hand DS a short while after, and damn, when it was released, I fell heart-first for SoulSilver. Best birthday gift ever; to feel like the happiest kid alive all over again.

Thanks to a laggy yet trusty mobile emu' app, I've recently started on Pokemon Diamond.

(end lifestory)

I happened upon this site through a link in someone's playthrough of a "hacked rom" on YouTube. Part of a search for something "Pokemon" to pass the time. It was quite unexpected to find a thriving community of enthusiasts, collectors, commentators, battlers, breeders, developers and curious onlookers still going strong. It's pretty awesome. Hello to you all, from me! We'll likely bump into each other around here.

Tl;dr: I like Pokemon, hi!

Kaiyu

Has officially quit PC
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    Greetings lol. I hope you enjoy your time here at PC. I remember those days still haha. Although the cartoons you listed (excluding Pokémon) don't exist here in Tokyo. I never once saw any of them on the television. And the PokéRap never existed here either lol. I never played Pokémon Red or Blue before but I did play Gold.

Check the "ROM Hacking" board and you should find what you're looking for. Anyway if you're ever looking for someone to talk to I'll be around and about. Have a good day and see you around.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Hello hello Prismarine! It's really great to have you here ^_^

I remember everything you mentioned! Especially the horrors of playing the Gameboy in the dark *shudders* Remember the little flashlight attachment you could buy for it? Those were good times~ It really is amazing how much Pokemon has evolved since then, as well as the media we play it on.

But it's so glad to hear you're liking the forum so far! We have a lot of great romhacks here, and it really is amazing how much time and dedication people put into them. I really hope you have a great time here, and message me if you ever want someone to chat with ^^

Years
  • Hey there, welcome! :D

Ahhh yess the good time, I miss my childhood ): but at least we can cherish it through memories! And I definitely remember the struggle with using a Game Boy at night in the dark XD did you ever have one of those worm light attachments to see the screen better? :o

Anyways, it's a pleasure to meet you! Feel free to drop me a visitor message if you want to chat or hang out sometime :)

Killua

Hi welcome hope you will be active here in the PC well i started with the B/W but since then i played every game except for Pearl, Y and Green it is just marvelous how many dedicated pokemon fans are here and well have fun!!!

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Heey, welcome! I must be somewhere close to your age, because that was my Saturday morning while growing up too. Good ol' Kanto Pokeraps that all the kids in my class could eventually sing flawlessly. Even now, I'm really looking forward to the re-release of the original games on the 3DS, so I can play them without trying to sit under a light source and squint. So done with that.

Your reason for joining also sounds like a lot of us! A number of people find this place through ROMs, and stay for the nostalgia and community. Pretty sure ROM hacking also brought me here some years ago, too. Then I found out the forum was pretty neat on it's own.

Welcome to PC, Prismarine!

Did you draw your avatar? o:

Prismarine

Procrastimancer
    Years
  • Greetings lol. I hope you enjoy your time here at PC. I remember those days still haha. Although the cartoons you listed (excluding Pokémon) don't exist here in Tokyo. I never once saw any of them on the television. And the PokéRap never existed here either lol. I never played Pokémon Red or Blue before but I did play Gold.

Check the "ROM Hacking" board and you should find what you're looking for. Anyway if you're ever looking for someone to talk to I'll be around and about. Have a good day and see you around.
    Hi Kyo!

Wow no Pokerap! {D:} Well Tokyo does boast a wealth of anime the rest of the world can only dream of. Not to mention it's basically the birthplace of anime lol I'm certain there were heaps of wicked shows and content there to foster some awesome childhood memories. Samurai Pizza Cats! Did they show that in Tokyo? You guys were pretty lucky with the big Nintendo events, and stores, and theme parks and... suddenly I'm reminded of why I want to travel to Tokyo lol. Gold is a great place to start. Still a favourite of mine. You might enjoy FireRed and LeafGreen if you ever wanted to try out the original Red/Blue. All the old goodness with new school upgrades. Thanks for the welcome! You have a good one, as well!

Hello hello Prismarine! It's really great to have you here ^_^

I remember everything you mentioned! Especially the horrors of playing the Gameboy in the dark *shudders* Remember the little flashlight attachment you could buy for it? Those were good times~ It really is amazing how much Pokemon has evolved since then, as well as the media we play it on.

But it's so glad to hear you're liking the forum so far! We have a lot of great romhacks here, and it really is amazing how much time and dedication people put into them. I really hope you have a great time here, and message me if you ever want someone to chat with ^^
    Heeeey Sopheria! Aww thank you!

That's awesome! Oh my gosh yessss that magnifying screen with the light attachment!! That gadget made my life, lol. It also upped the value of AA batteries at home. Receiving it gained the same reaction as that little kid who unwrapped a cutting board, then found out his present was actually an iPad. Much bliss, so gratitude, very weep lol. Yeah it's amazing the level these games are at. We're spoilt with this franchise.

There are sooo many talented developers here! I'm kind of ashamed I hadn't clicked onto this earlier lol. Their innovation, and the community's involvement combined turn out such awesome titles and story ideas. It really is amazing. It's also great to see skilled programmers receive this type of backing. I've already found a bunch I'd love to try, the issue now is finding the time lol.

Thanks so much for the warm welcome! I'll certainly do that sometime :)

Hey there, welcome! :D

Ahhh yess the good time, I miss my childhood ): but at least we can cherish it through memories! And I definitely remember the struggle with using a Game Boy at night in the dark XD did you ever have one of those worm light attachments to see the screen better? :o

Anyways, it's a pleasure to meet you! Feel free to drop me a visitor message if you want to chat or hang out sometime :)
    Hey Zach!

Same here, good memories! The biggest problem back then was finding batteries for your Gameboy lol. I did! Worked like a charm. It was my shadow until I traded the ol' Gameboy for a Gameboy Colour and the screen's clips couldn't fit the smaller body... sad day lol.

You as well! Thanks for the welcome, and yup will see you around!

Hi welcome hope you will be active here in the PC well i started with the B/W but since then i played every game except for Pearl, Y and Green it is just marvelous how many dedicated pokemon fans are here and well have fun!!!
    Hey absol!

At first I only expected to see a list of romhacks but then I set eyes on all the cool topics and discussions everywhere else. Nothing better than chillin' and talking games and cartoons. You'll probably catch me somewhere, raving about how awesome Articuno is, or admiring Jesse's one-liners and costumes lol. Black and White looks epic in terms of gameplay, hope to find a reliable emulator one day lol. Marvellous indeed! Thanks for the welcome!

Heey, welcome! I must be somewhere close to your age, because that was my Saturday morning while growing up too. Good ol' Kanto Pokeraps that all the kids in my class could eventually sing flawlessly. Even now, I'm really looking forward to the re-release of the original games on the 3DS, so I can play them without trying to sit under a light source and squint. So done with that.

Your reason for joining also sounds like a lot of us! A number of people find this place through ROMs, and stay for the nostalgia and community. Pretty sure ROM hacking also brought me here some years ago, too. Then I found out the forum was pretty neat on it's own.

Welcome to PC, Prismarine!

Did you draw your avatar? o:
    Heeey Jude! *strums guitar* (lol Beetles ref', I just aged ten years)

We were spoilt for choice back then. There are several things I prefer in the classic anime and games, though, like you, I am hoping to see the original RBY series revamped. Yellow in particular. They could do so much with its unique features. Backlights are those upgrades you have to had lived without to reeeally appreciate. I feel like those in our age bracket are becoming the new "back in my day, before telephones" generation, lol.

It says a lot about how great the community is. I'm looking forward to jumping into some great discussions. And the creative section, too. Wow! Digging into that area is going to be fun.

This avatar is thanks to a yet nameless artist. Wish I could direct credit to where it's due but this was found through a random trawl on google. AA Shelly's redesign is radical but I'm liking the change in character. At a quick skim through some playthroughs the newest series looks promising. Hook up RSE to the sun with jumper cables and you get ORAS.

Thank you for the welcome!

Kaiyu

Has officially quit PC
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    Hi Kyo!

Wow no Pokerap! {D:} Well Tokyo does boast a wealth of anime the rest of the world can only dream of. Not to mention it's basically the birthplace of anime lol I'm certain there were heaps of wicked shows and content there to foster some awesome childhood memories. Samurai Pizza Cats! Did they show that in Tokyo? You guys were pretty lucky with the big Nintendo events, and stores, and theme parks and... suddenly I'm reminded of why I want to travel to Tokyo lol. Gold is a great place to start. Still a favourite of mine. You might enjoy FireRed and LeafGreen if you ever wanted to try out the original Red/Blue. All the old goodness with new school upgrades. Thanks for the welcome! You have a good one, as well!

Yes no PokéRap here. If I ever want to watch it I'd have to go to YouTube for that lol. I've never heard of Samurai Pizza Cats before. I'll have to look it up later. Enjoying your time here so far?

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Yes no PokéRap here. If I ever want to watch it I'd have to go to YouTube for that lol. I've never heard of Samurai Pizza Cats before. I'll have to look it up later. Enjoying your time here so far?

They basiclly just name 32 (what a random number) pkemon at the end of every show.
    It's too quick for anyone to actually make out every picture and fully enjoy it :p

Kaiyu

Has officially quit PC
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    They basiclly just name 32 (what a random number) pkemon at the end of every show.
    It's too quick for anyone to actually make out every picture and fully enjoy it :p

Oh I see. It sounds kind of catchy to me lol. I kind of wished Japan had this but in Japanese. Instead they have the season ending theme song and credits rolling then a preview for the next episode. I know the words by memory after hearing it for years.

Years
  • Oh lordy. The unbelieveable struggle of playing your Gameboy in the dark was.. quite fun. I suppose. I remember those days and am not sure how I survived having to sit near a lamp to play. ;( Hooray for the 3DS. ♥ Welcome welcome, Prismarine!

Shelly has a pretty great redesign imo and I love her skin tone + the clothes that go along with it. Looks so nice together. One of the many reasons I prefer Alpha Sapphire over OR, ha. Have an awesome time posting!

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Welcome! I used to watch 90s X-Men a lot myself, until it became off-the air from where I live, baw. But I still love watching pokemon from time to time too, as a nice past time! I think the anime was the main point for me to start playing pokemon, y'know? <33

But yeah, I'm Dragon, and it's nice to meet you. I'm glad to hear that our players have been an interesting point for you to join in! This is indeed a cool community to trade, battle, or just leisurely chat with, so, I hope you'll stick around with us! Anywho, thanks for introducing yourself, and hope to see you soon. <33

Have an awesome weekend. ^^

Back