• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Most overrated generation of Pokemon?

stp

ShootThePuck
Years
Generation V. I find it hard to even play through that game at all. And you're pretty much forced to use your starter in the beginning because Lillupup, Patrat, and Purrloin are probably the worst pokemon you could ever have. Pidgey, Hoothoot, Gastly, and Ralts are all easily obtainable and decent. So why do I have to use Purrloin, which learns its first Dark move at level 15, while I'm stuck using Fury Swipes and Scratch until then. And don't forget that every five minutes Cheren, Bianca, or N have to challenge you to a battle until you've already battled them all five times and you're barely at the second town. Or Alder forgets to give you, the most important berry of all, the Oran Berry. Yeah, I'm really gonna be using Oran Berries when at this point I can buy Potions and Super Potions.

To the above poster, you really have to critique HGSS. Obviously if you critique GSC under the present-day eye, they're going to look terrible, but they were incredible for their time. Things changed in Pokemon, obviously those games will look bad compared to something like DPPt.

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 27, 2016
To the above poster, you really have to critique HGSS. Obviously if you critique GSC under the present-day eye, they're going to look terrible, but they were incredible for their time. Things changed in Pokemon, obviously those games will look bad compared to something like DPPt.

That is a relevant statement if I say Gen IV is overrated, which is not the case at all. HGSS is my favorite remake considering that you can trade any Pokemon from DPPt, which means you can get Gen III and IV Pokemon before getting the National Pokedex, the mechanics are convenient (running shoes toggled, Pokemon following you, etc.) and Kanto is fully explorable in HGSS unlike in GSC which areas like Seafoam Island, Cerulean Cave, got taken away, and Viridian Forest is just part of route 2, which is my biggest gripe with GSC.

Other than that, people still praise GSC even though HGSS is superior.

Last edited:

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
The coldness of Sinnoh appealed to me a lot, all the evolutions aside from maybe Dusknoir were very much needed, and the few Sinnoh Pokémon are very cool IMO.

Sinnoh is definitely underrated, and it was when the game started to shine in terms of variety and viability of many Pokémon.

I won't disagree that the 4th gen is almost universally disliked, but that doesn't necessarily make it underrated. For example, Superman on Nintendo 64 is universally disliked, but it's not underrated, because it's possibly the worst video game of all time. To be underrated something must first be good, and Gen. IV is probably the worst of the gens. Now, personal preference does come into it as well.

The coldness of Sinnoh appealed to me a lot, all the evolutions aside from maybe Dusknoir were very much needed, and the few Sinnoh Pokémon are very cool IMO.
It's fine that you like the cold region of Sinnoh, but most people didn't. I for one found it a bit bland and depressing compared to the exotic, tropical Hoenn region. As I said earlier, opinions do factor into one's decision on what gen is overrated or underrated. Honestly, the reason I think Hoenn was great was because it seemed to pull off being different better than any other region. Whereas Unova was certainly different, the region and it's Pokemon really didn't seem right. Something seemed to be missing. However, I find Hoenn to be a nice breath of fresh air, while still feeling like a Pokemon region.

On the topic of Gen. II, though, I will say that I agree that it's overrated. I mean, it introduced some great new Pokemon (Scizor!), but everything was just so underleveled in Johto that the game was excruciatingly easy compared to the other games.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Probably I, even though I do have fond memories of it. V is definitely the worst, but that seems to be quite a common opinion so it's not particularly overrated. II is my favourite gen, so I'd never think of it being overrated at all. IV, I like more than a lot of people, but I can see why others would think it was overrated; for me, I just really like a lot of the new Pokemon introduced, even if I don't particularly care about Sinnoh. And everyone seems to pile on III even though I find it quite charming and quaint.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
Obviously GenWunners speak for themselves. But I don't think that one specific generation is overrated. All the games bring something new and innovative to the table that make the game different to create something fresh.

However, I am a bit biased to children who play the latest games and say they're the best when they make no effort to touch R/B/Y and don't understand the true difficulty of a Pokémon game. These children these days are pampered and their hands are held throughout the game.

For example, in the recent installations. When you're poisoned you no longer take walking damage.

I can tell you I was thoroughly disappointed in B2 when I was sent to sewers by Iris to hunt down some Plasma members and my rival accompanied. I've always enjoyed the challenge of diving into a mess by myself. Now, apparently GameFreak doesn't think we can handle it.

Sorry for the irrelevant response. My answer is everything past Gen IV.

Back