• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How can I remember what does what?

xVaporeonx

Catwoman
Years
    • Seen May 14, 2016
    I struggle with what is weak to what and what is strong to what. I hate having to check all the time. I know the basic ones, which are common sense no less but I can't remember all the other ones like steel, ghost, ect.

Do you have a way of remembering which types damage which types?

Lunalie

Years
  • Years of playing Pokemon casually and competitively yet I still have a few problems here and there. Not too much with weaknesses but with resistances. Especially with types like ground which are very rarely a type by themselves.

Years
  • I don't have any secrets to help remember. The only reason they're stuck in my head is having committed them to memory over 16 years of playing the games.

Maybe study a chart that shows all the weaknesses and resistances for 15 minutes or so a day?

Crystal Berry

[span="text-shadow: 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.12); font
    Years
  • I've pretty much got used to the type chart so I know almost everything by heart, although gosh the bug type still does confuse me a little bit. It's weak against Fairy, Fighting, Fire, Flying, Ghost, Poison and Steel and only hits three types super effectively, making it by far one of the worst offensive types in the game. =(

Solar Snivy

#TeamRowlet
    Years
  • While some of the match-ups are just confusing, usually logic can help figure it out. Psychic, for example, is weak to common fears: bugs, darkness, and ghosts.

xVaporeonx

Catwoman
    Years
    • Seen May 14, 2016
    While some of the match-ups are just confusing, usually logic can help figure it out. Psychic, for example, is weak to common fears: bugs, darkness, and ghosts.

I didn't even think of it like that! that alone will be helpful lol I was struggling with this one a lot actually

Years
  • I tend to read the type chart often so it's easy to learn the usual weaknesses and stuff, however inverse is a totally different story thanks to muscle memory hitting you. What we know from normal matchups is that Grass and Bug are the worst offensive types in that there's 7 types resisting them while Ground and Fighting are the best due to hitting 5 types super-effectively.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • Usually I would remember which types works best against which type just by figuring out by watching the chart on occasion, but then, at some point I was having no idea that Steel types can't hit hard on Water types, but usually I'm just rolling with it with minimal difficulty.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    A lot of it comes from years of use, though if there are a lot of type match-ups that you're trying to master, you could try an electronic flashcard program. I haven't tried using one for Pokemon types, but you could easily go over them that way while procrastinating, and it'll be easier to focus on each pair than it is when studying the giant 18x18 grid.

For a more hands-on approach, try playing a challenge run with a Pokemon whose type match-ups you're struggling with (e.g., do a solo run). By the end, after seeing all of those "super effective" and "not very effective" messages, you'll probably have its type match-ups down.

As for me, if I'm struggling with a type match-up, I try to rationalize it to myself somehow, even if it doesn't seem immediately obvious. Or, for a couple of them (mainly dark and fairy), I think about why they were added to remember some of the types (e.g., psychic was overpowered in gen 1, so Game Freak introduced dark to balance it out). I'll admit, though, I'm still struggling with fairy's match-ups (aside from dragon and poison), and I'm having more trouble committing those to memory than I ever did with the rest of the types.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    honestly i learned from playing so much. it really is just something you learn over time. even so, if i go to use a type i haven't used in a while i might forget one weakness. i like to build my own teams and that consists of me looking at all their weaknesses so i can make a team with few weaknesses possible. try building teams (even if you dont actually use them, just as a fun exercise) start with one pokemon and build off from it. lets say you start with vaporeon, (tehe) you know it's weak to grass and electric, so now choose a fire type to combat grass, now look at your fire types weaknesses, etc.

Back