• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Poison Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

cesa

Teh Game Developah
Years
Hello PokeCommunity! I would like to announce Pokemon Poison Online! My game is development being writed in Visual Basic! I would like to announce it here because we just starting making progress in 26th June 2010! So we just started and we have around 2% of pre-beta made! The Map Editor is almost done! The team is here:

Chuchoide: Founder/Administrator/Developer/Forum Management/Lead Mapper/Databaser
Spectres: Lead Developer
MistAssassin: Administrator/Wiki Management/Databaser
Craig: Developer/Website Management/Forum Management/Designer
Cruceo: Developer
Kevin: Developer/Forum Management
Skullslasher: Lead Global Moderator/Databaser
Luke13: Global Moderator
Orlandop1595: Moderator
thafuture: Moderator
TheElite: Databaser
Sophiebear: Lead Designer
Pikachu Bap: Lead Recolorer
Tybee100: Recolorer

We are currently in big search of:

Spriters (A LOT)
Mappers
Visual Basic Coders (A FEW)
NPC Scripers (A LOT)
Quest Writers
Website Coders

The Future features:

493 Pokemon
Shadow Pokemon with stat boost
Shiny pokemon with stat boost
Pokemon Follows you
Stats counted as EVs
Chat Saving (If someone PMs you and you're offline, the thing he PMed you will be recorded)
Multiple Servers
And a some more I'll add as we get more progress

So, you can visit the official forums in here

The website is coming soon
icon_e_smile.gif

Game Progress: 2%

Hope you like the forums and join as at helping us with Visual Basic if you know it
icon_e_smile.gif

Thanks,
Cesa/Chuchoide

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
Years
Like the idea... Get the Screen Shots up quick :)

One question, Why visual basic? It's a lame language, you could have used something better like C# with XNA?

Anyway, good luck with your project :)

Last edited:
Years
Cool, i am making a battle simulate in visual basic too. But this is wrong place, this thread should go to drawing board.
@ck: visual basic can use xna too.

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
Years
Cool, i am making a battle simulate in visual basic too. But this is wrong place, this thread should go to drawing board.
@ck: visual basic can use xna too.
I never said it can't? VB is a lame excuse for a programming language -_-
There are so many options:
C++ .NET
C# .NET
even F# .NET

Why the lamest language?

Years
I don't think it is lame. Lame or not depent on programmer. If the game is good, language is not the problem.

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
Years
I don't think it is lame. Lame or not depent on programmer. If the game is good, language is not the problem.
It's easy to switch from VB .NET to C# .NET, if you do, you'll understand what I meant. :P

I would have linked to UrbanDictionary's definition of Visual Basic, but they are mostly stupid people flaming each other and stuff...

davidthefat

I Love C++
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 3, 2012
LOL Why not ditch .net languages? First of all, the users have to install the .net framework and that causes lots of people not to even try at all, and its only on windows, having C++ using a GCC compiler is alot better, and I will tell you why C# is not a good idea; its only on the Microsoft family... SDL has socket functionality, SFML also has it, you can use OpenGL for rendering the images, or just do it straight with SDL or SFML or even Allegro...

Visual basic is limited, trust me, its why its called Basic, its a basic language, its a noob's language, or for some one that just wants fast GUI for simple tasks, not really good for full on game. Stay away from Visual anything and .Net, they are a pain in the ass to distribute correctly...

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
Years
LOL Why not ditch .net languages? First of all, the users have to install the .net framework and that causes lots of people not to even try at all, and its only on windows, having C++ using a GCC compiler is alot better, and I will tell you why C# is not a good idea; its only on the Microsoft family... SDL has socket functionality, SFML also has it, you can use OpenGL for rendering the images, or just do it straight with SDL or SFML or even Allegro...

Visual basic is limited, trust me, its why its called Basic, its a basic language, its a noob's language, or for some one that just wants fast GUI for simple tasks, not really good for full on game. Stay away from Visual anything and .Net, they are a pain in the ass to distribute correctly...
Don't get me wrong, I love C++ just as much as you do... But in some cases you don't need to do C++.

If a game isn't intended for users other than Windows users, there's no need for cross compatibility.
.NET solves many problems for you. And the runtime solves another problem, it compiles the program in an Intermediate Language which you distribute. When someone runs it, a Just in Time compiler produces binaries, this ensure that your code runs on any platform that supports .NET. (Different versions of Windows and 32 and 64 bit) This doesn't lower the performance, since there are options that enable the JIT to compile them once into binaries and have them work for ever.
(much like how linux developers distribute source code with make scripts, just that this works with closed source software as well.)
It even allows you to link all the .NET languages together.
XNA genuinely makes things easy... I won't debate between OpenGL and DirectX, since that's going to be stupid... But you never know when Microsoft stops supporting OpenGL (remember, back when Vista was going to be released)
One thing though, you can expect your DirectX programs to run slower on old hardware or maybe not work with old software, but there is one thing, it looks the same on all computers. OpenGL does depend on Hardware to some extent (depending on the nature of OpenGL calls)

Performance-wise though, both C++ (without .NET) and OpenGL are faster any day.

And have a look at mono... It's a project I've heard of but I am not sure to how much extent that works.

davidthefat

I Love C++
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 3, 2012
Don't get me wrong, I love C++ just as much as you do... But in some cases you don't need to do C++.

If a game isn't intended for users other than Windows users, there's no need for cross compatibility.
.NET solves many problems for you. And the runtime solves another problem, it compiles the program in an Intermediate Language which you distribute. When someone runs it a Just in Time compiler produces binaries, this ensure that your code runs on any platform that supports .NET. (Different versions of Windows and 32 and 64 bit)
It even allows you to link all the .NET languages together.
XNA genuinely makes things easy... I won't debate between OpenGL and DirectX, since that's going to be stupid... But you never know when Microsoft stops supporting OpenGL (remember, back when Vista was going to be released)
One thing though, you can expect your DirectX programs to run slower on old hardware or maybe not work with old software, but there is one thing, it looks the same on all computers. OpenGL does depend on Hardware to some extent (depending on the nature of OpenGL calls)

Performance-wise though, both C++ (without .NET) and OpenGL are faster any day.

And have a look at mono... It's a project I've heard of but I am not sure to how much extent that works.
Now think, .Net is like 200-300 mb and that would mean that at least 50% of his fans will have to download that then download his game, just my thought, if I have to download a 300mb file to play it, it just seems like a turnoff and unless its like high quality game, I will never do that.

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
Years

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
Years
The video was hilarious..., but I don't see what you're trying to prove there.
Since you are all for C++... And against .NET O.o

But really all Java users say that the reason they use it is that it runs on most OSes, but they rarely ever release software on more than one platform.

And I have never said the .NET is better than C++ or Java for that matter, but I am saying that .NET is good enough. No reason to bash it up!
You are acting like a typical fanboy or are too ignorant.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
This project doesn't seem to meet the requirements outlined in this thread, so you might want to read the rules and make sure your thread meets all the criteria next time.
*Locked*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back