• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime everyone should watch

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    What are some of the greatest anime you've ever seen, and believe that everyone should watch or at least try? For me I'd say everyone should watch Death Note or at least tr 1 episode. That and One Piece.

pkmin3033

One I think everyone should at least try is Princess Tutu. Behind its deceptively cute premise lurks an emotionally charged and surprisingly dark storyline that is both immediately familiar due to its fairytale-inspired motif, and wonderfully fresh for the way it twists them into something all its own. Character development is spectacular across the board - especially in the second season, where it deviates from the standard "monster of the week" formula - and the music is instantly recognisable and really complements the themes of the show. Plus, Neko Sensei.

...plus I am so sick to death of everyone calling Madoka a deconstruction of the magical girl genre. NO. IT IS NOT. People really should watch this so that they know what a bloody deconstruction actually looks like, especially if Madoka and Sailor Moon are the only two magical girl shows they've seen...which is usually the case of people who wrongly claim Madoka is a deconstruction.

Precure isn't for everyone either, and with a lot of these new so-called "dark" magical girl shows being labelled as Madoka ripoffs and summarily dismissed (despite the likes of Daybreak Illusion and Wixoss being vastly superior) Tutu is a good show to watch, as something released earlier...and with a proper storyline, actual character development, and being a proper deconstruction.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Obviously Mahouka. People keep saying characters are OP and they haven't seen Onii-sama :P

Well, obvious ones are Code Geass, Death Note, Cowboy Beebop, Yu Yu Hakusho, Full Metal Panic, Full Metal Alchemist, A-mu-ka no Joe, Hajime no Ippo. These classics.

Then from the other pole, Bleach and Naruto to see how fillers kill anime, Eotenas to see modern setting how to make "cool" anime that is actually piece of crap. Aku no Hana to see how the ugly anime can look.

These, I guess.

I don't need to mention all anime with Hanazawa Kana because that should be obvious enough.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Suggested Anime 'Essentials': In a chronological-like order you should watch them in, by genre. Feel free to ignore a suggestion if the listed genre is "not your thing".

Digimon {Particularly Adventure 1, 2 and Tamers} (Adventure/Cyberpunk)
    Pokemon {Season /Generation 1} (Adventure) [But seriously, who here hasn't seen the pokemon anime?]
    One Piece (Adventure)

Sailor Moon (Shoujo)
    CardCaptor Sakura (Shoujo)
    Shugo Chara (Shoujo)

Serial Experiments Lain (Grimdark/Cyberpunk) (Can be hard to follow)
    Death Note (Grimdark/Mystery)
    Angel Beats! (Grimdark/Gritty)
    Puella Madoka Magica (Grimdark/Shoujo/Horror) (Gorey, more than blood)
    Danganrompa! (Grimdark/Mystery)

Howl's Moving Castle (Fantasy)
    Spirited Away (Fantasy)
    Tenchi Muyo (All Tenchi Muyo Universe animes involving Tenchi) (Fantasy/Sci-Fi)
    Shaman King (Mystical/Fantasy)
    Inuyasha (Fantasy)

Ranma 1/2 (Romance/Drama)
    Ah! My Goddess! (Romance/Drama)

Last edited:
    Years
  • Katekyoushi Hitman Reborn.... It's too cool to not watch

Biased but yesss. It's a great series with lovely characters if you can get past the awful animation in the first 20something episodes. Becomes so worth it.

Also want to add The Devil Is a Part-Timer to this list. The art/animation is top-notch, characters are intriguing, comedy is great, and the pacing is pretty good. It's only 13 episodes so I'd definitely recommend it as it has a little bit of everything to cater towards any fan. Romance, action, comedy, and all that good stuff. I saw it recently and am so glad I did. It deserves to be known more.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • Ghost stories obviously

So I probably haven't watched most of your typical "anime you should watch" since they're still on my to-watch list, but I do have a few that I can squeeze out.

Hunter x Hunter 2011

Death Parade
    Steins;Gate

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
    Gin no Saji
    Ouran Koukou Host Club
    Bakuman

Angel Beats
    Shaman King
    Cardcaptor Sakura

Anything by Studio Ghibli
    Mamoru Hosoda films:
    Summer Wars
    Girl who leapt through time
    Wolf Children Ame and Yuki

Knowing me I'll be all "watch at least one sports anime", but there's too many great ones to choose xD

Will edit post later ~

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Reasoning behind this? To fully enjoy Dangan, you need to play the game, anime is not enough, neither it's something I would recommend.
    But I would like to know the reason why you have chosen it =)

I disagree. No reliance on other content is needed to enjoy an anime; and I find that people who insist otherwise are just cheapening the anime content. The anime version(s) may not always turn out exactly how you like, but I find that they always stand alone enough. The fact that this does however tie into something else a bit makes it a decent choice. I actually enjoyed this one for it's artistic choices.

People say similar things about other things like Hyperdimension Neptunia; and I cannot disagree with them more. The anime content always stands alone and apart from the game content. I find that people get more attached to the video game based stuff a lot more for emotional reasons...which I find to be a terrible biasing factor when those same people then choose to watch an accompanying anime...because they never rate the anime the same or as fairly because it's something they can't control the outcome of.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • I disagree. No reliance on other content is needed to enjoy an anime; and I find that people who insist otherwise are just cheapening the anime content. The anime version(s) may not always turn out exactly how you like, but I find that they always stand alone enough. The fact that this does however tie into something else a bit makes it a decent choice. I actually enjoyed this one for it's artistic choices.

People say similar things about other things like Hyperdimension Neptunia; and I cannot disagree with them more. The anime content always stands alone and apart from the game content. I find that people get more attached to the video game based stuff a lot more for emotional reasons...which I find to be a terrible biasing factor when those same people then choose to watch an accompanying anime...because they never rate the anime the same or as fairly because it's something they can't control the outcome of.
    There is a big difference between Dangan and Neps.
    Dangan actually tried to adapt the main storyline of the game, on the other hand, Nep anime was just recollection of famous scenes. That works as anime since it's separate from the game, but Dangan tries to cover what game covers.
    If anime tries that, it will obviously be inferior to its game counterpart.

As for bias. It's not really bias. People just want almost-like original experience. And since games are original here, anime gets bashed.

Years
  • I don't really think there's anime that everyone 'should' watch, anime that I love might not be liked by others and anime I hate may be loved by others.

but everyone should watch Shirobako.

Years
  • Anime everyone should watch

pkmin3033

As someone who actually got into Danganronpa through the anime, I wouldn't say it was technically inferior to its game counterpart. It skipped pretty much all of the character development, but 12 episode shows never really have particularly great character development anyway, and it was a good adaptation of the main story cases. Good enough to intrigue me to buy the game, anyway. So it's good enough as a standalone adaptation, and if you've already played the game you're familiar enough with the characters to know their personalities, so it's not a huge loss that the character development is skipped.

I wouldn't call it an essential watch if you've already played the game, but if you haven't it's a great jumping on point for the series if you don't want to sink time and money into the visual novel.

Years
  • Digimon (Seasons 1, 3 and 6, every season is a new story with new main characters and in a new universe so you can skip others if you want to watch the best :P )
    Death Note
    Code Geass
    Jojo's Bizzare Adventure (1st season is meh, but after that it's great)
    RWBY (not Anime in a traditional sense, but still)

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Death Note (well, the first 25 episodes). And Code Geass. Oh, and Attack on Titan. All of those. All beginner friendly and very enjoyable - they're great hooks and definitely work for most people. These series are bound to attract most people into the medium - and even if that fails, they still end up accepting the fact that they enjoyed the experience very much. At least, that's the response of EVERY person I've shown Death Note, Code Geass or FMAB to. Code Geass may still turn away potential viewers due to its relatively excessive fanservice compared to the other shows mentioned here, but ehh. It still works pretty well, I'd say.

Replace Sword Art Online with One Piece and Naruto Shippudden with Naruto (first season sans fillers) and that's perfect - at least, in my opinion. :p

Fairy Tail has terrible writing in fights and whatnot but it is a fun series that I like quite a bit. And FT bitches be hawt, man.

Soul Eater is an all around solid action series that will probably appeal to all newcomers (ending might piss them off but the fights still make it a good watch...).

Naruto's first season was actually good so I definitely feel that it is an experience people should have - if nothing else, just to see what all the fuss was about lol.

One Piece is a different series compared to the rest for me - the manga is still pretty fucking brilliant even if the anime series has more or less became shite over the past 5-6 years (bad pacing + animation). But, overall, I'd say that this is also one of those series that I believe every anime fan should experience - the characters and THAT world - there's simply nothing else like that. At least, I haven't found anything else that even remotely comes close to the INSANE world that One Piece has managed to construct and inhabit with interesting people over the course of its 17+ year old run.

Back