• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Back in my day, we didn't have mouse aim!

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • "YEs Grampa, we know. Call of Duty is Bad because aiming down sights to kill enemies is so easy compared Doom and the LIMITED TECHNOLOGY YOU HAD BACK THEN". Said the Doomguy's children Soap Mactvaish and Kaihime, son and daughter of the Doomguy respectively.

"You can drag and select an infinite amount of units in the field, THIS GAME DOES NOT PROMOTE SKILL! BACKIN MUH DAY, YOU HAD TO CAREFULLY SELECT YOUR 12 UNIT LIMIT GROUPS AND STILL HAD TO MICRO EACH UNIT CAREFULLY TO MAKE DEM PLAYZZZ"" said your typical Starcraft 2 haing Starcraft Brood War Veteran Elite Rank 1 Bronze 5 Pseudo Korean p wannabeelayer.

BACK IN MY DAY WE HAD AN INVENTORY THAT WAS HARD TO ARRANGE AND THEREFORE BETTER - said every Diablo 1 and 2 player ever in existence concerning Diablo 3's inventory system.

I dont have to say much that we here at VG have played a lot of video games from past generations up to today. We've grown up from a lot of video games with series that we faithfully love up to this very era and day. At many times, we like to sit back, relax, and play some of our older games just to remember the simpler times of gaming.

Of course like life itself or herself, there are groups or homo sapien subspecies that also loved the games we also played and grew up with, however, in their case it extends up to a point where they pretty much denounce changes or modernized features, or even denounce newer or current generation games in general with such burning fervor that it is really difficult to not cringe.

These subspecies of bipedal homosapeiens are what i liked to call "Purists". If you do not know what Pursists are, these are the kinds of people who insist in absolute obedience to traditional rules and structures, and in video games, they are pretty darn common. They can also be called "Traditionalists" as well.

Purists/Traditionalists are almost akin to Pokemon's own version in "Genwunners" or my own enhancement of the term in "GameboyEngienirs" who insist that the gen 1 and gen 2 Pokemon games (RBY and GS, because SO MANY PEOPLE also love Gen 2 so much) are the absolute best pokemon games and denounce the games after them, as well as the many features and changes that the pokemon series has acquired. Purists are the kinds of people that insist that something like Doom should only be played traditionally with just keys and no use of a mouse and mouse look+aim, and playing Doom with such is "NOT PLAYING DOOM". Purists/Traditionalists are the kinds of people who insist that drastically new features in their favorite games are "ruining" instead of enhancing the games. These are the kinds of people that roasted Fire Emblem Awakening for including a Casual mode as well as the marriage support system in general. In many cases, these are the kinds of players who even go as far as saying that modern games are usually easy nowadays and most gamers right now just like the easy way out because they are spoonfed with really convenient features that they criticize as making it way too easy for them. Simply put, Purists/Traditionalists are the leftist parties in gaming that make it hard for anyone to enjoy.

The badly written and exaggerated expressions seen above are some examples of Purist/ Tradionalists criticism of modernized games or modernized means of playing classic video games (I read countless of these and this is how i interpreted most of them). As mentioned earlier, if you play something like Doom via a sourceport (programs that are able to make games like Doom work in modern computer systems) with Mouselook and mouse aim enabled like playing any other FPS, Doom Tradionalists/Purists would roast on you.

So how do you feel about traditionalists or purists? Do you think that they have made some valid points other than MUH BALLS or MUH 12 UNIT LIMIT? Or do you think they are just a bunch of nostalgica critics stuck using a TI-82 or using MSDOS or Windows 95? Are you a purist yourself to a certain game series? if so why and as a bonus, defend yourself and your purity as well?

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    man only being able to select 12 units at a time kinda sucked in Starcraft/Brood War

but then again the plan most of the time back then when I played it was "everyone mass shit and then send it in the general direction of the other guys" and watch the chaos unfold

anyway I don't allow myself to be swayed by nostalgia

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 25, 2023
    Simply put, Purists/Traditionalists are the leftist parties in gaming that make it hard for anyone to enjoy.

Since you're describing them as conservative/stuck in their old way of thinking and that only their way is correct rather than allowing people to have different opinions, wouldn't it then be more accurate to describe them as rightist?

pkmin3033

I don't really care. I mean, what other people like and dislike has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on what I like and dislike.

But I'm like this a lot with certain video game series myself. Examples? I think Pokemon has gotten a lot worse since the fourth generation, especially with the move to 3D polygonal models with the 3DS titles; I wonder if it'll ever capture the magic that drew me to it again. I think Final Fantasy XII was the last proper FF title, and that the action-based combat and "story-driven" titles that are out and are coming out are shit; they're not proper Final Fantasy. I think The Legend of Zelda should never have made the transition to 3D, because none of the 3D titles measure up to the 2D ones; they're too short and too easy. I could go on and on about what I perceive to be a decline of quality in modern titles when compared to older games. Some people would agree. Some wouldn't.

But who really cares? If a game annoys me THAT much, I can skip it entirely; I don't HAVE to play it. I'm not one of those people who feels obligated to play a title just because I enjoyed past titles of the series; that has no bearing on how good or bad the next game will be. There is plenty out there that still appeals to me, and whilst some of the changes made to my favourite series of old have been bad, there is a lot to them that is much better than their predecessors - things run smoother, usually offer more content (I don't play AAA titles, which are 10 hours at most these days) and there are dozens of little throwback moments designed solely to cater to fans like me who have stuck with it for so long. As much as there is to disparage, there is still plenty to appreciate, and enough to keep me coming back for more. You can't expect everything to be perfect or exactly the same; NOTHING is perfect, and only be replaying a game can you get exactly the same experience...and even then it won't be the same, since you'll know what to expect.

It's all a matter of how much you can put up with really, and I think sometimes people get worked up far too much over very small things. But that's their call. We all have likes and dislikes. I don't think of people who like the older way of doing things as "traditionalists" or anything of the sort, really. There is plenty about the supposed new way of doing things to dislike, and criticism is always justified in the eyes of someone. Just because I might not agree with it personally doesn't make it any less valid.

tl;dr Just let them get on with it.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • I'm not entirely sure "conservative" is the right way to describe people like that. It really sort of sounds like a mild form of fundamentalism where if it doesn't fit your expectations of what the game should be it's automatically poor. I say mild because pure fundamentalists probably like only one specific game and hate EVERYTHING else. It's akin to lunacy in a sense.

As for their tastes in things... eh. I sorta dislike it when people hate something because it changed at all or doesn't fit their lofty, inflexible standards. Even if a game isn't exactly like the series norm it can still be good on its own merits. If games stuck to the exact same formula and never changed at all they would all get boring after a while. Granted not all changes are good (Gen VI's cel-shaded models, for instance, as Meloetta mentioned,) but no change at all can be just as bad.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Responses? Well..

man only being able to select 12 units at a time kinda sucked in Starcraft/Brood War

but then again the plan most of the time back then when I played it was "everyone mass **** and then send it in the general direction of the other guys" and watch the chaos unfold

Microing 50 Units worth of Marines, Maruaders and Medivacs... yeah that took a lot of effort, but Brood War stuck ups would tell you stuff like that barely takes skillz0rz.

Since you're describing them as conservative/stuck in their old way of thinking and that only their way is correct rather than allowing people to have different opinions, wouldn't it then be more accurate to describe them as rightist?

Its more fun to call them leftists. You do have a point with them being rather self-righteous in some sense. I would love for you to meet dem Doom purists who denounce everything about modern FPS though, as well roasting people who play Doom with mouse aim and mouse look.

As for their tastes in things... eh. I sorta dislike it when people hate something because it changed at all or doesn't fit their lofty, inflexible standards. Even if a game isn't exactly like the series norm it can still be good on its own merits. If games stuck to the exact same formula and never changed at all they would all get boring after a while. Granted not all changes are good (Gen VI's cel-shaded models, for instance, as Meloetta mentioned,) but no change at all can be just as bad.

Command and Conquer 4 was the only time i sided with the purists, but entirely. Holy crap that game was something. I only wanted to say that C&C4's attempt at changing the C&C dynamic was poorly executed, with that lovely and distasteful touch of executive meddling flavor.

Its good to have an open mind about things. I actually am a believer of good changes to prevent a series from becoming stale. Command and Conquer Generals and Command and Conquer 4 were two C&C games that broke the usual mold of the C&C formula, but unlike the latter, Command and Conquer Generals, a MUCH OLDER GAME, was a rather well received game, and in my personal opinion, it is my favorite of all time.

XZ STORY TIME!

So some of you might be wondering why i made a topic such as this while it has been talked about in many many many gaming communities out there. Well for one, PC (our forum) itself has a rather large modding community with the Romhacks and a small part with those making their indie-engine fanmade games. I actually want to hear from some of the more active rom-modders or whoever about this matter.

I've already mentioned about Doom and dem Purist Doomguys who roast on any Doom mod that changes the general gameplay of Doom, with Brutal Doom as my example. Brutal Doom is a gameplay mod for Doom 1 and 2 that not only adds extra amounts of gore to the well aged classic, but it also changes the gameplay by forcing the play to play with obligatory mouse look and aim, weapons with magazines or clips (aka reloading), certain weapons having iron sights aiming as an alt-fire, the weapons made much stronger, and the enemies made much more dangerous as well. While its generally well received as a really good gameplay mod, there's always that party of lot who denounce brutal doom for making Doom play like a modern FPS, and for.. you guessed it, CHANGING THE GAMEPLAY DYNAMIC WAY TOO MUCH. Of course. Typical Purists. The main reason why Brutal Doom is so good because it revitalizes the well aged classic with a modern twist that enchances the gameplay that could have been done more than 20 years ago. Then again, if the Doom game that was released back in 93 was Brutal Doom, then we wouldn't have video games because of the excessively high amounts of violence. Speaking of violence, I'll probably talk about Gore mods and video game gore in a future topic.

Now to try diverse my post from Doom, i wanna ask anyone who probably played anything from Fallout. Remember how any of those HARDKORRRRRRE FO1 and FO2 people were being salty for Fallout 3 being in First Person instead of the classic Fallout format? Speaking of Fallout, CRPG (Computer RPG) purists are some of the most purist pieces of imp flesh out there.

If you all ask me, I always find purist commentary really entertaining, especially if I'm in the mood for looking at cringe. I love laughing at people's close mindedness towards change, game features, and whatnot, especially when they go to that extend in which they say most modern games are "EASY" because the in-game features make them "EASY", thus making most modern gamers unskilled compared to their perceived l33tness, and the way they denounce that the more recent and current iteration of games in a series are just bad compared to MUH KLASSIKX.

Back