• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Gary even 10

UltimateFrosty08

THE DAB MAN
Years
  • As we all know Garry Oak is Ash's main Rival through Gen 1 and 2 at first he was thought to Be a Ten Year Old until I discovered the Truth, the Truth u never knew:

Gary is supposed to be Ten but I feel hes older because of stuff that goes back to the First Episode the first reason is What 10 Year Old Has Stinkin Cheerleaders Think about it what 10 year old has Cheerleaders? 10 year olds are in Elementary school does Elementary Schools even have cheerleaders? Plus what Ten year olds have Cars even though he's not the one driving how does a Ten year old get a Car with a Hired Driver anyways? Also hes already Prof. Oaks Employee what did he give Gary a PhD at the age of ten?

Ya+i+know+right+_b8c278f6f22a80bea806078bf5a500d5.jpg

What the Hell is this. XD

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    According to Pocket Monsters the Animation, Gary's father is the mayor of Pallet Town, and those cheerleaders were actually his dad's campaign team. Also, the same novelization implied that 10 year olds are considered legal adults, and the reason there are more female workers than male workers is because the males often go for Pokémon Training and end up deadbeats due to utterly failing.

That being said, I still think their giving 10 year olds such as May and Serena bazookas for a chest was going WAY too far.

UltimateFrosty08

THE DAB MAN
    Years
  • Its weird because people say Ash is to young to do stuff like date. It dosnt make any sense because someone named Famon said Serena to young to even confes to like Ash which I dont get because they wouldnt even have Serena say she likes Ash in her mind if she wasnt going to confes people. If 10 year olds are Adults they can at least confes I know this is a bit off topic but people say hes to young now im hearing that their basicaly Adults. Someone please confirm this im confused.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • That being said, I still think their giving 10 year olds such as May and Serena bazookas for a chest was going WAY too far.
    I...don't know if that's what I'd call them, they aren't that large.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say that it'd make sense if they were only a few years older. More when you consider that their ages in the games, which their designs were likely made for, were vague, with Serena looking closer to a teenager. If May were in her tweens the I wouldn't say her design is too far off, if at all.

Plus, the idea that people mature faster in the Pokemon world makes sense as well, considering 10 or 11 is the supposed age where you can venture out into the world of dangerous creatures and suspicious people.

Its weird because people say Ash is to young to do stuff like date. It dosnt make any sense because someone named Famon said Serena to young to even confes to like Ash which I dont get because they wouldnt even have Serena say she likes Ash in her mind if she wasnt going to confes people. If 10 year olds are Adults they can at least confes I know this is a bit off topic but people say hes to young now im hearing that their basicaly Adults. Someone please confirm this im confused.
    This is- well first, people can date and confess their love at any age. It happens all the time.

But also, in anime (and cartoons, even), young characters having really mature emotions and feelings isn't all that uncommon, and since Pokemon seems to treat 10 year olds quite differently than the real world does (both socially and developmentally), it seems even more commonplace here.

And as far as having her say she likes Ash in her mind but not actually confessing goes...that could go either way. It happens, and you have to realize- Famon, this is to you, too- Pokemon is not a romance anime. Similarly, Pokemon is not about the romance, and the girls' relationship with Ash is a side thing, if it even exists at times. Mostly it's to give them some type of dynamic with Ash so as to make their characters (or possibly Ash's character) seem more three-dimensional, but all-in-all it's not really the show's priority or focus and it's entirely likely that Ash doesn't get with any of them. Very likely, I'd say.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I...don't know if that's what I'd call them, they aren't that large.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say that it'd make sense if they were only a few years older. More when you consider that their ages in the games, which their designs were likely made for, were vague, with Serena looking closer to a teenager. If May were in her tweens the I wouldn't say her design is too far off, if at all.

Plus, the idea that people mature faster in the Pokemon world makes sense as well, considering 10 or 11 is the supposed age where you can venture out into the world of dangerous creatures and suspicious people.

I don't know about physical development, but I still stand by my view that May and Serena were way too young to have breasts. If they were 16, heck, 14 even, I could buy them having that chest, but not when they are 10. They might socially and legally be considered adults, but they definitely can't have been physically adults. In fact, even in the Anime, they generally refer to them in terms that make clear they are still children and not adults even if they are legally that.

This is- well first, people can date and confess their love at any age. It happens all the time.

But also, in anime (and cartoons, even), young characters having really mature emotions and feelings isn't all that uncommon, and since Pokemon seems to treat 10 year olds quite differently than the real world does (both socially and developmentally), it seems even more commonplace here.

Socially, I can agree. Can't say they were treated differently development-wise, though.

And as far as having her say she likes Ash in her mind but not actually confessing goes...that could go either way. It happens, and you have to realize- Famon, this is to you, too- Pokemon is not a romance anime. Similarly, Pokemon is not about the romance, and the girls' relationship with Ash is a side thing, if it even exists at times. Mostly it's to give them some type of dynamic with Ash so as to make their characters (or possibly Ash's character) seem more three-dimensional, but all-in-all it's not really the show's priority or focus and it's entirely likely that Ash doesn't get with any of them. Very likely, I'd say.

It may not be a romance anime, but you have to admit, her having unresolved feelings for Ash comes across as being a bit too integral to her character, and even her performer goal comes across as being little more than an excuse. Misty at least actually HAD a goal relating to Water Pokémon since Kanto, for example, and did work to go through that goal.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I don't know about physical development, but I still stand by my view that May and Serena were way too young to have breasts. If they were 16, heck, 14 even, I could buy them having that chest, but not when they are 10. They might socially and legally be considered adults, but they definitely can't have been physically adults. In fact, even in the Anime, they generally refer to them in terms that make clear they are still children and not adults even if they are legally that.

Socially, I can agree. Can't say they were treated differently development-wise, though.
    By "developmentally" I was referring to how they physically look. In that no one actually looks like they're ten when they're younger, but at the same time you can generally recognize an adult when you see one. My point being that the Pokemon world seems to start certain developments at different ages. Puberty, for instance, which likely starts at a younger age or happens more quickly/lasts longer.

It may not be a romance anime, but you have to admit, her having unresolved feelings for Ash comes across as being a bit too integral to her character, and even her performer goal comes across as being little more than an excuse. Misty at least actually HAD a goal relating to Water Pokémon since Kanto, for example, and did work to go through that goal.
    No, I agree with you there. I'm not saying that they don't have anything else to their characters except their relationship with Ash- quite the opposite, actually. In most cases save for Serena and Misty, save for what shippers make of certain situations, there was no real romantic subtext anywhere. They'd play around with it from time to time, but that was about it. Hell, it could get pretty damn platonic (I mean, just look at High Touch).

Rather, it makes the relationship between Ash and the girl in question more interesting. Looking at, say, May or Dawn, the friendship between them has little personality. It's friendship at its most basic and that works, sure, but to make up for that they had to use the characters' personalities rather than the nature of the relationship itself to make it work. In Misty and Serena's case, though, they definitely had the relationship in mind. Actually, part of the reason I decided to give this season a look was because I heard that Pokemon had finally decided to use the "childhood friend/promise" trope and that there was a girl who was actually interested in Ash and I just had to see. And lo and behold.

So yeah, it's definitely present. I mentioned this in the other thread, but I really wouldn't be surprised if something did happen between Ash and Serena solely because the last time we saw anything close to this was with the girl who was originally supposed to stick around for the entirety of the series. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there was a confession.

I would, however, be surprised if it went anywhere. That wouldn't work for the show unless they gave Ash up (which I'd be all over).

Lunaturret

[B]The Forgotten[/B]
    Years
  • It's a tv show and 10 years old in the anime is practically like being an adult lol.

Its kinda right i cant remember at 10 being or having the same privileges as most of these anime characters it seems parents not sure what goes through their heads and with gary he has to be older then ten becuse hes older then ash well looks it and ash didn't start his adventure at 8.

Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2016
    "10 year olds are in Elementary school does Elementary Schools even have cheerleaders? "
    When i was in elementary school, they had a program for us to do cheer-leading. They had first graders doing chants and cheerleader stuff. FIRST GRADERS! So to answer your question, yes.

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2015
    I've seen odder things in Anime other than 10 year old cheerleaders, I think you're overthinking it bud.

Back