• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gary Vs Paul Vs Trip, who is better?

Who is better?

• Total voters

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
Years
  • Ash's three main rivals in the Anime have been Gary Oak, Paul & Trip.

Now the question is, if those three were to go head-to-head, which one of them do you think will have an edge over the other two, based on their strategies & Pokemon they own, & why?

Pika Pika :chu:

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • Well, I can't vote who's better.

I can only say that you can't forget Gary Oak. I mean, come on, it's Gary Oak.

I'm pretty sure Gary will beat Trip. Don't really like Trip,

But Paul on the other side have a lot of my favorites Pokemon. I can't believe how much his team can look like mines. But same for Gary.

Paul and Gary have some similar Pokemon.
    But I thing Paul would beat Gary and Trip. I love Paul's Pokemon (but not his character).

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • Trip wouldn't stand a chance against either of the other two. That leaves Paul and Gary. Now both use very similar Pokemon in regards to their style which is very balanced for both. In turn, their strategies do fall similarly close to each other but different enough. Where Gary Oak pulls through for me though is is confidence and calmness in the face of adversity. Gary Oak never gets rattled no matter how bleak tings may seem whereas Paul lets his emotions get the better of him sometimes. So if these two were to ever face off, Gary would pull out a 6-4 victory over Paul in my prediction due to his ability to adapt and change to what his opponent does and if he were to fall behind by a Pokemon or 2, he would have no trouble finding a way back in it.

Lizardo

Public Enemy
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    Just based on what we've watched in the anime, I couldn't see Shigeru beating Shinji 6-4 in any circumstance.

The only time Shinji's emotions truly got the better of him was in DP128 against Jindai. And that was a specific circumstance concerning a character that had an actual history with Shinji and Reiji. Against Shigeru, who Shinji doesn't even know, that wouldn't be a factor. DP128 was a pretty notable exception to how we usually see Shinji, who is otherwise known to be composed and brutally efficient.

Just comparing the two's "signature" Pokémon, I think Shinji also comes out ahead there. Ringuma, Dodaitose, and Shinji's Elekible are, IMHO, overall stronger than Shigeru's Kamex, Blacky, and Elekible. There's also Dorapion (the Pokémon that halved Satoshi's Sinnoh League team in one swoop) and Dongkarasu.

Shinji also takes better advantage of his Pokémon as a team than Shigeru has ever been seen doing. Satoshi makes a note of that in DP132: there are no flaws. Each Pokémon has a role and executes that role perfectly. In two full battles we've seen him fight, Shinji sets up long-range strategies designed not only to win the current battles, but also influence the outcome of others (ex. Eleboo with Light Screen, Dorapion with Toxic Spikes). Few characters in the anime are ever that strategically-minded.

UltimateFrosty08

THE DAB MAN
    Years
  • ITS GARY AND I HAVE MANY REASONS FOR THIS 1. He was Ash's original Rival and Ash did not beat him till Johto 2. He cares for his Pokemon, Paul absolutely hates his Pokemon he lets his Fire Pokemon get hit by a Water Attack WHO Does that + when his Chimchar went to Ash's side he said he'll just get another fire Pokemon and also Gary switches out all of his Pokemon so they all get a turn battling 3. Gary had over 100 Pokemon when Ash only had seven.

Years
  • Gary is the best.
    He is the original rival.
    He makes fun of Ash.
    He has a group of cheerleaders.
    He has great personality compare to Paul

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • I think that I'll also have to go with Gary, coz although he's a tough trainer, there's no doubt that he loves his Pokemon, he's a much better strategist that either of Paul or Trip & I think he has better Pokemon than either of the two!

Years
  • I voted Paul, because he was one of many reasons I enjoyed Diamond & Pearl. He also acts like those kinds of Pokemon players who release Pokemon that aren't up to standards, whether it'd be IVs that suck, terrible nature/ability and so on.

The three-part Ash vs Paul battle was also very epic.

I hate Gary because he's so brash and reminds me too much of how badly I get bullied, and I hated Trip for having beginner's luck (aka dat Snivy) and always being far superior to Ash most of the time.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • As I said, Gary is the best out of the three (in my opinion), but if I had to choose someone for second place, I'd definately say Paul, coz I've always maintained that Trip is extremely overrated.

Anime Sucks

I voted for Gary on accident. There's no way he'd stand a chance against Paul. He's definitely a more likable character than Paul, but he retired as a battling trainer long before Ash even met Paul, and we know Paul has the same amount of experience as Ash

coz I've always maintained that Trip is extremely overrated.

This is a joke right? Fans bash Trip all the time. If anything he's underrated.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2016
    Paul seemed like the strongest with Gary next to him. I don't think Trip was even that good. The thing is Ash was just very weak in BW for some reason and I don't even mean his Pokemon's power but his skills as a trainer were just very weak compared to DP and XY. I am sure Trip would not last that long if he fought Ash in DP and XY. Paul had strong pokemon and had skilled in battles. While he had some odd ways of training he got results.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    Paul seemed like the strongest with Gary next to him. I don't think Trip was even that good. The thing is Ash was just very weak in BW for some reason and I don't even mean his Pokemon's power but his skills as a trainer were just very weak compared to DP and XY. I am sure Trip would not last that long if he fought Ash in DP and XY. Paul had strong pokemon and had skilled in battles. While he had some odd ways of training he got results.[/QUOTE

I'm pretty sure Trip would last very long if he did happen to fight Ash in DP and XY. I mean is not like Ash in DP was the strongest giving the fact he did lost a lot more battles in DP then he did in BW. Paul is the worst character they ever came up with for the anime, to be honest Paul is more underrated then Trip put together.

Gary was the only true rival of Ash's for the whole entire anime, he was the original and the best.

for him.

I'm trash.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 6, 2023
    Trip is an annoying little brat that someone needs to shove down a hole. (And Ash, really? I was not happy when he lost to him of all people.Best Wishes needs to be rewritten entirely. The writer of the series should have been fired too.)

Honestly, I would pick Paul because he had more character development than Gary. Paul developed from his cold attitude towards Pokemon to at least seeing them as companions. Gary grew up, became less antagonistic, but his outlook on life didn't really change as drastically as Paul.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • 11 year old me would pick Gary.

I pick Paul. For obvious reason. He's a fresh look at a "rival" because he treats his Pokemon far differently than any trainer in the Pokemon anime, and he has a reason to be tough on his Pokemon. He's far more unique than any of the other rival in the Pokemon anime, the only reason I ever disliked him was because I liked Gary when I was younger. He'd win a battle because his Pokemon are far stronger than both Trip and Gary's. The rest aren't that tough, in my opinion. Trip would be beaten down in a battle by both of them, so it goes either way.

...Now that I think about it, I don't really like Gary. He's arrogant, and didn't really get much development on screen. He's also kinda...eh. He's the first rival, though, I still like him a bit. He still stands no chance against Paul in battle.

And Trip was terrible. I never liked him much. The writers weren't trying hard enough on him. Let's be real. He'd lose to both of them.

Last edited:

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I think Paul would beat out Gary and Trip.

Paul puts up a pretty tough fight, whereas Gary doesn't focus as harshly on his Pokemon training anymore, and Tripp just doesn't seem as strong as Paul. He'd need more character evolution for that.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • Trip is an annoying little brat that someone needs to shove down a hole. (And Ash, really? I was not happy when he lost to him of all people.Best Wishes needs to be rewritten entirely.

I am completely with you on that, there is NO WAY Ash could have lost to a rookie like Trip & that too, more than once. I think that Trip's Snivy, which should have been about Lv.5, beating Ash's Pikachu (even though he couldn't use his electric powers), who i'm supposing is about Lv.90, was one of the biggest mistakes, in the anime. >:(

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    Trip is an annoying little brat that someone needs to shove down a hole. (And Ash, really? I was not happy when he lost to him of all people.Best Wishes needs to be rewritten entirely. The writer of the series should have been fired too.)

Honestly, I would pick Paul because he had more character development than Gary. Paul developed from his cold attitude towards Pokemon to at least seeing them as companions. Gary grew up, became less antagonistic, but his outlook on life didn't really change as drastically as Paul.

BW don't need to be rewritten. Ash and Pikachu always reset when they go to a new region as this was the case with Hoenn. To be honest Paul was a one note rival character, he just wasn't as cool as the OS Gary but he did have very strong Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    I wonder if you watched the same Pokémon anime as me, Piks. Ash and Pikachu did not reset in AG and DP. Their Pokémon teams were taken, true, but their skills and character development from previous series stayed. The same is not true for BW. That is the only series which really did reset Ash and Pikachu to novices. And him being beaten by rookie trainer, albeit skilled, was one of many things that were wrong with BW IMO.

As for the initial question, I unfortunately have to say Paul would win. Gary is not trainer any more and Trip simply does not have skills to beat anyone of Paul's level. He may, however, stand some chance against current Gary, but definitely not against Johto Gary :P

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    I wonder if you watched the same Pokémon anime as me, Piks. Ash and Pikachu did not reset in AG and DP. Their Pokémon teams were taken, true, but their skills and character development from previous series stayed. The same is not true for BW. That is the only series which really did reset Ash and Pikachu to novices. And him being beaten by rookie trainer, albeit skilled, was one of many things that were wrong with BW IMO.

As for the initial question, I unfortunately have to say Paul would win. Gary is not trainer any more and Trip simply does not have skills to beat anyone of Paul's level. He may, however, stand some chance against current Gary, but definitely not against Johto Gary :P

Ash and Pikachu did reset when he went to AG because he had to start all over again, and in DP he didn't reset too much due to him having Aipom come with him to Sinnoh, in BW he did reset once again but a lot more. As for him losing to Trip, that was due to Pikachu having it's power drain by Zekrom and people always forget that he does in fact get's reset each time he goes to a new region.
    Original series Gary would be able to beat the crap out of both Paul and Trip, but now that Gary is no longer a Pokemon Trainer he would lose instantly to the likes of Paul and Trip.

Last edited:
    Back