• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Wiicked Cool Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
  • Somehow I feel like this is an obsession that we share. Don't know how I missed this. :P

It's a shame Darkest Dungeon still hasn't really seen a sale.. It looks really good, but $20 is steep for a game that exists only to kick your ass.

Highly recommend Crypt of the Necrodancer, though. It even just left early access, it's a full game now, lol.
    Yeah I wanna pick up Necrodancer, I just wish I had a dance pad! I know I can play without one but come on, that sounds fun as hell! I also want Rogue Legacy and Spelunky.

You should pick up Rebirth, it's enough of an improvement on the original to be worth it.

Sector

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    What does everyone think about Monster Hunter Ultimate 4 on the 3DS? I'm honestly thinking about getting it soon.

pkmin3033

It's a pretty big improvement over the third game in terms of movement; lock-on means that it's somewhat playable without dual analogue (at least, I don't use the second one on the new 3DS that often for it) and it has a wider variety of monsters, but it's more of the same and, honestly, I'd recommend Soul Sacrifice Delta over it any day if you've got a PS Vita. I don't see why they had to take out underwater battles as well...although I can't say that I miss Tri's monsters that were fought mostly underwater. xD

I really need to play it more, but every time I pick up my new 3DS I immediately play Xenoblade...maybe once I find some people to play it with and/or finish that (whichever comes first) it'll hold my interest more =P

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • MH4U is pretty good. Movement has gotten a lot more smoother with everything being much more responsive. Some of the Gen 4 monsters are an absolute blast to fight against. It's nice to see Gen 2 monsters back in the fray, I'm not really satisfied that some of their hitboxes are still wonky at times, but they're still fun to fight.

In terms of difficulty, it probably has the most consistent curve out of all the games. But, has the hardest endgame with G-Rank monsters doing more damage than they ever did before. It's a very common thing to die in the instance of two seconds if you screw up.

I missed underwater fights as well, since Lagiacrus is fantastic monster and he plays a lot differently in water in comparison to land. What I don't appreciate, is how some weapon movesets get gimped underwater. For example, SnS is not even similar to it's land moveset when underwater. If they bring back underwater, they need to do an overhaul with all of the movesets to have them at least function the same as their land counterparts.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • The genre of my obsession is on sale right now~ If you don't have Isaac, Don't Starve, or Eldritch, I highly recommend them, especially since you can get them cheaper right now.
    http://store.steampowered.com/sale/roguelike?snr=1_41_4__42
    A Roguelike sale? Ech...I just spent a lot of money. Lately I've been pretty good at avoiding sales and whatnot, but Roguelike is one of my favorite genres so...ugh.

Oh, and by the way, did you guys see that you can charge for Steam Workshop content now? Not sure how I feel about this, yet.

On one hand, quite often do modders put several hours into their work, and I'm a big fan of mods, but...this does make me a bit fearful. I was always a fan of how Nexus did it, where they always had an option to donate to the modder but asking for money wasn't allowed (or it just wasn't done), but with this I fear that we will see modders gravitating towards the Workshop (which for various games, especially Elder Scrolls, is not the most convenient platform) and exclusively supplying their games there to make money. This would cause a number of problems, and in the worst case scenarios mod sites will shut down, use pay formats, or only host smaller mods and shrink in size. It might change modding communities, and I can't see it being for the better.

TY

Paying for mods, not everyone can do that, but I don't mind modders asking for money. What I do mind is Valve taking 75% of the profit they make from the mods for doing literally nothing but advertising the mods, which is not worth 75% imho. Valve will get some serious flag for it.

A second issue Valve may end up dealing with is content theft and copyrights. Now people just rip mods away to make a dollar or two. Valve is throwing themselves in deep trouble and I am fairly sure they can't handle it. Greed makes people blind ladies and gentleman

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • The genre of my obsession is on sale right now~ If you don't have Isaac, Don't Starve, or Eldritch, I highly recommend them, especially since you can get them cheaper right now.
    http://store.steampowered.com/sale/roguelike?snr=1_41_4__42

So I just bought The Binding of Isaac, Don't Starve and Spelunky. Cause I can. Gonna wait until tomorrow to see if Isaac Rebirth gets reduced further.

I find it laughable that Valve feels they can take 75% of the profit for having done absolutely nothing. There are other problems with it to, as machomuu and Shadow have said, which I'm not gonna repeat.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Hi guys!
    Does anyone know any good, free, PC download Final Fantasy-esque RPGs?
    I've been looking for some everywhere but cant find any!
    Any help is appreciated, thanks!
    If you're looking for free, there's Epic Battle Fantasy 1 and 2.

Apart from that, I'd recommend looking up free RPG Maker Games, which there should be a good number of.

Hi!

or some say Kosm...
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 3, 2017
    Did you get the New 3DS? If so, you could try out Xenoblade Chronicles. There's Fire Emblem Awakening, there's Mario and Luigi: Dream Team Bros, Bravely Default, Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Ocarina Of Time, Majora's Mask. Depends on what exactly you're looking for I suppose.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Heya, VG-ers! Looking for more recommendations, again! This time for the 3DS.

It's honestly a shame that I've hardly put my New 3DS to good use. I've played a very tiny bit of Smash and I've replayed a bit of Alpha Sapphire, but I've truly only used it when playing Okamiden, and I feel I could do it much better justice. Are there any good RPG games that might be worthwhile on the 3DS? Really, even just regular DS games would do at this point! ^_^
    RPGs? Alright, lemme see....

Well, first up, one of my favorite 3DS RPGs, Rune Factory 4. If you've played Harvest Moon or, more appropriately, if you've played Rune Factory, you should know what this is. If you haven't, however, RF4 is a cross between an Action-RPG and a Farming game with a Life Sim topping. This game is easily the best RF, much lengthier than 3 and much more fluid and streamlined than 2 and 1. Though the game is rather obscure for some odd reason, it is easily one of the tightest RPG games on the 3DS. Highly Recommended.

Next, there's Persona Q and the Etrian Odyssey Series. If you're a fan of old-school Dungeon crawlers, these games are definitely for you. In the case of EO, the locales and music are absolutely gorgeous, though the games are difficult, these entries have new difficulties that are accommodating to casual players and masochists alike. The games are sure to sate wanderlust, as there are few games on the 3DS that feel as adventurous as the Etrian Odyssey games. In the case of Persona Q, however, this one is more akin to the Persona 3 and 4 games, but is very much the latter in a EO coat. Still, it teems and oozes with Persona style and if you're a fan of that series, you'll probably be attracted to this title.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Monster Hunter 4 (Ultimate) are great, too, though I don't think I need to delve into those two, info on them is pretty common knowledge.

Fire Emblem Awakening is a great (if a bit divisive) Strategy-RPG that many consider to be the best game on the console even still. I don't think anything I say could do it justice, and there are reviews of the game abound, but I'd definitely give it a shining recommendation.

A personal favorite of mine (especially if you live...literally anywhere other than America), there's the Inazuma Eleven Series. Inazuma Eleven 1 is available on the eshop in America and Inazuma Eleven 3, GO, and GO 2 are available practically everywhere else. What's Inazuma Eleven? Eheheh, oh. Oh, oh. Oh. Well, it's a Soccer-RPG that tak-eh. Actually, I did a review on it years back. It's a bit dated and I feel I underrated it a bit, but if you're interested you should check it out (though, if I may, the Inazuma Eleven GO Strikers 2013 is a much more modern, better written, and better structured review that I think sorts out my feelings about the series much more accurately). Regardless, I highly recommend checking the series out.

Bravely Default is oft recommended, and though I've played a little, I know several other members who could do a much better job than I can there. And, then there's Xenoblade Chronicles, but I don't think there's anything I could say about the game that hasn't been said many times before. It's a great, unique game with great music, characters, direction...get it, it's great. If you're a Kingdom Hearts fan, there's Dream Drop Distance- but I, for the life of me, cannot find that game at a decent price.

And, finally, for one of the many DS titles I could recommend, The World Ends With You. I cannot, absolutely CANNOT recommend that game enough. It's one of my favorite RPGs, one of my favorite games- but, this post's gone on long enough. I guess the same case here could be said for Xenoblade, in that I can't say what hasn't been said before. This game is a beautiful collage of unique gameplay, themes, music, and style, all cohesively fused together to make a game like no other. It's a fantastic game that can't really be replaced by anything else- there are no TWEWY-lites or TWEWY alternatives, and if there's any DS RPG you're considering, I would recommend this one.

Bay

Years
  • Yeah, Bravely Default is often recommended for those that like the classic Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest feel and I thought it did it well in that aspect. The plot in which the characters have to awaken the crystals is very common in the Final Fantasy games (or so I heard), but there are some pretty fun scenes and I like many of the characters well enough. The game is often praised for its job system as it's pretty flexible , so making a variety of teams for your party is fun. A lot of people love the game's soundtrack and art (at least the art backgrounds), too.

One thing you'll hear often is the second half being quite repetitive. I'll say while that is true for the most part, you can unlock new cutscenes and you might be satisfied with those if there are some characters you like.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Random News of The Day:
    http://www.artjaehoon.com/#/maverick-hunter/
    More concept art from the cancelled "Maverick Hunter", from Armature Games. You know, the devs who splintered from Retro Games. The character is obvious, due to the subtle design.*

*User note: Subtlelty in this case is the equivalent of a hooker holding up a red lantern on a street corner in the nude

stunt296

~The Official Stunt Master~
    Years
  • Other cool monster capturing games?

Hey guys I'm looking for other cool monster capturing games like Pokemon, but before you start recommending games, take a look at what I've already played:

Pokemon:

Alright, so this is a given. I've played pretty much all the Pokemon games except the 3DS ones (don't own a 3DS) and love them. Gold and Silver will remain my all time favorites.

Dragon Quest Monsters:

Probably my 2nd favorite series of this category. I love breeding monsters to make stronger/better ones, and I also love the 3v3 battle system. Joker and Joker 2 are my favorites.

Ni no Kuni:

Similar to DQM, but what I love about this game is the active battle system and the fact that your human party members can also fight and heal (as well as your monsters).

Demikids:

This was not bad, seemed like a DQM ripoff at first, but its actually decent.

Telefang:

Believe it or not, I actually enjoyed this, but gave up half way through because it got repetitive...and stupid.

Those are the monster capturing games that I've played and enjoyed. Now we are the year 2015, and lets be honest, simply looking at a group of monsters without seeing yours, and nothing but plain white for a background isn't very enjoyable nowadays (I'm looking at you DQM for GBC!) so I would LOVE if someone could recommend a game like DQM Joker, Ni no Kuni, or the 3DS Pokemon games (decent graphics where you can see both groups of monsters, yours and the ennemies'). I heard DQ VIII has some monster capturing, but apparently it's not great. After playing NNK, I would love to be able use both the humans and monsters (although it's not necessary). Also,I don't care if the battle system is turn based or not. Thanks!

Last edited:

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Go play Spectrobes, just the DS ones. Jupiter did great work on making an average-to-good RPG, that has interesting monster design, cool graphics, and a standard story. Oh and the battles are real-time, with a normal and strong attack button, no turn based combat, and you control the humans along with monster. Basically what you're looking for.

stunt296

~The Official Stunt Master~
    Years
  • @Evil Stud Muffin Hey that looks good! I'll check it out.

@Monster Monpiece I don't own a Vita, sadly. I heard there are many good RPGs on it though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back