• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Top 10 Favorite Pokemon Generation 1?

Years
  • Most of my favorites are from Gen 2, so this is actually sort of a hard list to make

1. Arcanine
    2. Mew
    3. Gengar
    4. Primeape
    5. Nidoking
    6. Blastoise
    7. Venusaur
    8. Alakazam
    9. Poliwrath
    10. Gyarados

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2022
    My top 10 favorite Pokmeon from Gen 1 would have to be this.

1. Gengar
    2. Weezing
    3. Snorlax
    4. Kingler
    5. Pidgeot
    6. Charizard
    7. Jigglypuff
    8. Slowbro
    9. Arcanine
    10. Starmie

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Not in any order

1) Blastoise = Blue was the first ever pokemon game I ever played, and it was the version mascot. Of course I picked Squirtle at the start of my journey and raise it to become the water shooting Tortoise that I still love and respect.

2) Charizard = I never played Red but I did play Yellow and got to use Mr. Crithax. Before getting Blastoise, I found Charizard to often carry my team in Yellow. Also, picking Charmander in RB felt really good since it was a self imposed challenge for most of the early game.

3) Scyther = I thought to myself that he was the coolest looking thing I ever saw back in the Gen 1 days.

4) Machamp

5) Alakazam = Oh one of the Gen1 OU Gods.

6) Magneton = Perhaps the mon, aside from the starters, that I most remember. Magnemite and its family was probably the coolest looking things back in the day when most pokemon looked like animals compared to today where almost anything can be a pokemon these days (Keys, trashcans, Appliances, PEOPLE?), the Magnemite family's robotic like appearance always reminded me that cool looking pokemon will always exist.

7) Gyarados = From Kanto to Kalos, it seems that Magikarps will always be in any region.

8) Hitmonlee

9) Pidgeot = The common bird. In every playthrough that I went through with a Gen 1 game and a Kanto based game, I found myself to always get a Pidgey and raising it to a Pidgeot to help carry a workload. It kinda helps that Pidgeot has some memetic value on it thanks to TPP (Birdjesus)

10) Butterfree = Perhaps one of the best early game pokemon out there, especially in the gen 1 games. If I remember, it learns a pretty decent Psychic type move (Confusion) that dealt good amounts of Neutral damage for most of the early game and also learns the powder moves to help catch more pokemon. Butterfree was one of my most helpful pokemon back in those days and I even remember hating the anime's "Bye Bye Butterfree" episode because i couldn't stand seeing people release Butterfrees.

Years
  • 1.Charizard- because he is like a dragon and I have always liked dragons.
    2.Gengar- because he was pretty powerful back in the day and I have always loved the lore behind him being Clefable's shadow.
    3.Dragonite- see Charizard's explanation.
    4.Rhydon- I remember watching Blaine's fight Ash in the anime, and from then on I loved him.
    5.Electabuzz- I just think he looks cool to be honest.
    6.Sandslash- probably the cutest imho from Gen 1 and it is my favorite type (Ground) and it is decently powerful in the games especially once it knows Earthquake.
    7.Poliwrath- same as Electabuzz, looks cool.
    8.Primeape- I am the biggest fan when it comes to monkeys... don't know why, so obviously the Ape Pokemon from Gen 1 was going to be on this list.
    9.Gyarados- who doesn't like Gyarados? Also reminds me of a sea dragon.
    10.Arcanine- I always imagined having my own pet Arcanine who could run at extreme speeds and burn everyone I was mad at. Awesome.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    My first two are clear-cut, but after that, I don't really have a ranked preference list:

1. Blastoise: My favorite Pokemon, period. It's the first Pokemon I ever saw, my original starter, and a member of many of my teams.
    2. Pikachu: Pikachu seems to get a lot of hate for being "too cute" or being associated with Ash, but I've always loved it. Yes, it's cute, it seems reasonably smart in the anime at least, and it was a key member of several of my teams. And when my Yellow one learned Surf through Stadium, it became even better.

Kanto probably has my favorite Pokemon overall, so there are a lot of Pokemon I like a lot. I'll just name a few that rank fairly highly (in Pokedex-ish order):

-Bulbasaur line: My least favorite Kanto starters, but still high among my starter preferences overall.

-Charmander line: Like Bulbasaur, didn't use Charmander and its evolutions much in my first Red run (since I was using Blastoise), but I traded one in later on, and have used them on other games. Charizard might come in at #3 on my overall list.

-The rest of the Squirtle line: Can't leave them out.

-Nidoking: Versatile, and I love his shiny. A slightly more recent favorite.

-Arcanine: Not sure why. I guess I like the way it looks.

-Alakazam: Just a great Pokemon.

-Gengar: I had a very hard time with the whole link trade thing at first (no one I knew bothered), but I used the rental Gengar in Stadium, and it became a Pokemon I liked a lot. It's held up very well competitively over the years, too, which is a plus.

-Jolteon: I happened to evolve my Eevee into this my first run, and though I didn't use it much then, it's one of my favorite Eeveelutions.

-Aerodactyl: My favorite fossil.

-Snorlax: Useful in battle, and it even gets its own field object and special encounter in a lot of games.

-Zapdos: My favorite of the legendary birds.

-Mewtwo: Amazingly powerful in gen I, and the culmination of my Red Version experience. I remember tossing my first Master Ball at it while thinking up not-very-creative nicknames (I think I went with "Two" for the first one). I'm still a little sad that Mewtwo has fallen since its glory days, but it's still a great Pokemon.

It's interesting that there aren't more water types, as water is my favorite type, but I guess I didn't use other water types too much because I was always using Blastoise. Lapras and Starmie could use honorable mentions, though.

Back