• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First Pokemon Game

Zehn

[color=red][font=Foto Serif]Sacred[/font][/color][
Years
  • The title says it all, which game got you into it all

Discuss ^_^

Warspirit

be nice to nice ❤️
    Years
  • My first game was Diamond but I loved Pokemon way before then. My first game would have been FR but my mom thought it was of Satan or something of the like :/ Diamond isn't my favorite game at all, in fact it's at the bottom of my list, but HG really got me.
    But now that I think about it Pokemon Snap was my first game, but I don't really count it since it's not in the main series. I remember playing it when I was like 9 or something and I'd like to throw apples at the little charmander and play the flute for them.

Years
  • Mine was Red version, way back... At that time I hardly knew anything about how to really play the game, haha. Oh how the times have changed!

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    The Pokémon game that got me into this series would have to be Blue version.

I used to be huge fan of Pokémon back when I was a little kid, and would watch the anime almost every single day. Then, I had eventually figured out that they also had their games, which was available for Game Boy and whatnot. I really wanted to get my hands on a copy afterward (didn't have to worry about the console, as I already had Game Boy Color). Few days before Christmas, dad had told me to make a wishlist of what kind of things I would want. Then, when it was time to open presents, I finally got a hold of the game.

I was definitely excited when I'd first opened its box; I couldn't wait to play. When I did begin playing, I wasn't able to put it down at all, regardless of how tough I tried; I was super-addicted. From there, I began to grow much bigger love for the franchise, and haven't stopped following their video game series ever since.

Years
  • Sapphire.

Followed by Leafgreen, Yellow, Crystal (those generations, not sure which game exactly).

Also, I played Pokemon Diamond, the hacked one, where your "pokemon" are calling you, or soething like that? I still have the save file lol, and I still have no idea what Im supposed to do so yeah, not playing that since 2006 lol.

ZoneX

Spriter
    Years
  • Pokemon Silver version!! I used to have a Game Boy Color and one of my old pals had Gold version plus a game link cable!! So much fun!! Then we were real.excited when Crystal came out with a few of its extra features like animated sprites and the Battle Tower! But the years went by and my GBC is history. But I feel a sense of relief cause in this modern age of technology I can download an emulator on my phone and play Gold, Silver, and Crystal on the go!! I get to relieve some of the glory days of my childhood again! Awesome!! Matter of fact, Im about to get my phone and play right after I post this!!

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    My brother and I got Blue and Red, respectively, the year they were released in the US. To this day, Pokemon is one of the few things that connects us after I moved out seven years ago and we grew into different people.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
  • I can't remember how, but I started off with Red, Yellow, Silver, and Sapphire all at the same time.
    (Talk about a jump start, being exposed to 3 generations at once)

Oh, wait. I lied. Pokémon Pinball was my first Pokémon game, then the ones I mentioned above came right after.

Years
  • Ruby for me, and I hadn't really known how Pokemon games worked at the time so as a result my playthrough wasn't as good as I hoped it would be and my team was so weak and redundant.

It still holds its memories, because I had a precious Roselia that won me a Master Rank Beauty Contest (which shocked me given I didn't really tailor her moves well) and it also had me catch my very first shiny, a Duskull in Mt. Pyre.

Tirion

Lint Magnet
    Years
  • It was either Red or Yellow. I can't remember as I was just a wee lad, and I think it was a Christmas gift my brother had received.

ChikoritaCheezits

The Green Leaf triumphs over all
    Years
  • My first Pokemon game was Leaf Green. I got it when I was 6 well my sister got Fire Red. I was pretty stupid when playing it back then, only leveling up my starter. My mindset was that if my starter fainted, I'm screwed.

Years
  • My first was Silver, and it was more of a hand-me-down from my brother's friend. I played it until the battery died.Still have it too.

I also used to have Crystal, but I ended up giving it away for Ruby for some reason.

Years
  • My first game was Yellow, and my brother had Red and Blue, too, though I fell in love with Pokèmon with Silver, which I borrowed from a friend at the time. I still have my old GameBoy with Red, though it doesn't work anymore :/

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    My first game was gold! I couldn't read very well when I first go it so I pronounced just about every name in that game wrong. I used to read potion as "pot-tee-on" yeah it was a bad time.

It's weird because I thought I would favor that game and the starters a lot since it was my first, but it's all kinda meh to me. Especially the starters of that region.

Years
  • I played Blue and Gold versions before Ruby, but I wasn't terribly enthralled with the franchise until Gen 3 came around. Omega Ruby is my favorite now. :3

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • What really pulled me into Pokemon as a whole was actually the Trading Card Game. However, my first Pokemon video game was Yellow. I never got past Brock and ended up losing it along with my GameBoy Color and the other two games I had for it. I didn't pick up another main series title until Sapphire, which even though I started with Yellow, I consider myself more a "Hoenn is my hometown" kind of gal.

The Trainer Academy in Pokemon Stadium 2 is what I used to teach myself to battle effectively and figure out why I never got past Brock. :P I just liked pressing buttons. I guess that was just what I was used to back then because I was only accustomed to Mario and RPGs were a new thing. Paying attention to dialogue????? Plot????? Strategy?!?!?!?!?!???? WHAT lol

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
  • I loved the anime and cards when I was younger and eventually got red, after that I haven't missed a single mainstream game. I love how they work. I remember how terrible I was back when I was young not knowing where to go and having way over leveled pokemon from trying to work out where I was meant to go next.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • The year Red/Blue came out here in the USA, my dad bought Red Version for my younger brother's ninth birthday to compliment the brand new Game Boy Pocket he was promised from our uncle. I was in the game store with my dad and offered suggestions. At the time, my only exposure to the franchise was an ad I had seen in a gaming magazine that offered no description of gameplay or anything, just a picture of an assortment of pokémon with a giant bug-catching net over them, with a caption reading, "Got ya!". My intrigue in this ad, combined with the knowledge that my brother was fascinated by dragons and the color red at the time made me suggest the game with Charizard on its box to my dad.

My brother loved the game, but since he was still young and I was a relatively seasoned gamer, I often helped him through much of the game and eventually came to love it too. To the point that my folks were forced to get me the Blue version and my own Game Boy two months later for Christmas. XD

Back