• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Childhood Favorites!

pkmin3033

Like a lot of people my age, I grew up reading the Harry Potter books; I practically worshipped the things. Those were probably my favourite books growing up, they were the literature equivalent of Pokemon: everyone was into them, my parents both enjoyed them, and there were movie adaptations which (at the time) I loved.

Prior to that, it was Goosebumps. I'd save every penny I could find just to buy the next one in the series, and I felt so accomplished when I finally got a full collection...then Series 2000 came out, and it started all over again. I used to watch the TV series of that, too. They weren't particularly scary, but they were the cool thing in my social circle.

I also used to love reading the Horrible Histories and Horrible Science books. Those were quite popular when I was a kid too; my friends and I had almost a full set between us, and we'd swap them around regularly. We dabbled in The Knowledge and Murderous Maths a little as well, although not quite so much.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Maniac Magee was one of my favorite books when I was younger. A teacher read it out loud to my class, and I absolutely fell in love with it. It was the first book I read by Jerry Spinelli, and while I have read other books by him, Maniac Magee is the one that I think about the most. Especially when I'm helping my mother untie yarn knots!

Other than that, the other book I really liked when I was younger was Frankenstein by Mary Shelly. Probably not an expected book for someone to grow up reading (I was eight when I first read it), but I still really loved it.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Harry Potter was my favourite series when I was younger and it still remains as something I hold really close to me. I started reading the first book when I was about 7 and the idea of magic, the wizarding world and a lot of the other things introduced in the series were just absolutely mindblowing to me. I aspired to be like some of the characters and one of my first role models when I was 8 or 9 was Remus Lupin, someone who I still strive to be like today. Order of the Phoenix was also the first really thick book I read and I remember how proud I was for being able to read so much in one go. It was a huge accomplishment to me as a 10 year old.

I liked Horrible Histories and Science a lot too, even though my sister was much more into it then I was. Still, it was really fascinating and also a lot of the reason I developed an interest in the two subjects. Another book I really liked when I was younger was Deltora Quest and I was ecstatic when I found out there was a TV series. Watching it again years later, it's pretty terrible but the books were still one of my favourites as a kid!

Back