• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help with first team please!

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2011
    So I have absolutely no clue how to competitively battle and I've been searching for a few days and getting suggestions to finally complete my first team and this is what I've got, any suggestions would be appreciated! just don't go to hard on me please(: (I know you shouldn't use purely sandstorm resistant pokemon on a sandstorm team but I set out trying to make one that breaks that rule so I'd like to stick to any that resist the sand.)

Tyranitar @ Shell Bell
    Jolly: 252 Att /252 Spe / 4 HP
    Dragon Dance
    Crunch
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge

Standard Sweep and Sandstream

Steelix @ nothing yet
    Sassy: 232 HP / 98 Att / 180 SpD
    Stealth Rock
    Roar
    Earthquake
    Fire Fang (might put in Rest and Chesto Berry/OR Curse)

Shuffle the team around after a SR, scout, weaken with EQ and Fire Fang (for opposing Scizor, Forretress, Beldum, Metagross, Magnezone or other bulky steel/ice/or grass types like Torterra)

Scizor: @ Metal Coat
    Adamant 196 HP / 252 Att / 60 SpD
    Swords Dance
    Bullet Punch
    U-Turn
    Aerial Ace (Will replace with Pursuit once I get heart scale)

Sweep after SD, scout and weaken, switch in and revenge kill, get rid of pesky ice users and sweepers like Weavile.

Garchomp @ Dragon Fang (Persim Berry or Life Orb)
    Jolly: 4 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spe
    Swords Dance
    Earthquake
    Dragon Fang (Outrage)
    Brick Break (Fire Fang)

SD and sweep, STAB moves and Brick Break for coverage. Might throw in Fire Fang but I like the usefulness BB has provided so far. If I switch for Outrage I'll put in the berry (I like switching attacks freely so no Choice Band for him) or I might just Life Orb him for sweep effectiveness.

Gliscor @ Leftovers
    Adamant & Sand Veil: 180 HP / 88 Att / 120 SpD / 120 Spe
    U-Turn
    Double Team (just realized it's banned, don't know what to replace it with)
    Earthquake
    Toxic

Tried to make a balance between offense and defense with this EV Spread, I looked at a bunch of analysis sets and I thought this would make him a little more defensive, plus hopes of Sand Veil having some affect. Want to use Him to toxic and switch out and further weaken the team until he is needed and use him as a late sweeper, so might replace Double Team with Rock Polish...or give him Roost to keep him in the fight.

Empoleon @ Shuca Berry
    Modest: 252 HP / 160 Def / 4 SpA / 92 SpD
    Ice Beam
    Grass Knot
    Knock Off
    Yawn

One of the earlier switch ins to counter super-effective hitters, pesky dragons, bulky waters, and other physical walls. Stop Blissey with Yawn and other sweepers with yawn/knock off.

Any recommendations on move, item, or pokemon swaps appreciated as well as a rating on Gliscor's strange EV's (works well for me so far but let me know what you think, only battled friends nothing really competitive). Would like to keep pokemon limited to sandstorm resistance though (just to try to make it work).

Erufuun

apple bunny lover <3
    Years
  • Tyranitar:
    Take away Shell bell, usually completely useless. :c He'd rather want a Lum berry, which will help when he is Thunder Waved or Will-o-Wisped, both of which would severely cripple him.

Steelix:
    Looks fine to me~ Instead of Fire Fang, however, use Gyro ball, and give him the lowest speed possible for most damage output.

Scizor: Well, depend what you are after here... Metal Coat definitely needs to go. You have really two main moveset options with Scizor;

Choice Banded-
    -U-Turn
    -Bullet Punch
    -Brick Break/Superpower
    -Pursuit

Or

Life Orbed
    -Swords Dance
    -Bug Bite
    -Bullet Punch
    -Brick Break/Superpower

Edit: Oh, and EVs should be 252 Att, 252 Spd and 4 HP

Garchomp: I'd prefer Stone edge or even Fire Fang over Brick Break

Gliscor: Need Roost ;D Replace Double team, since correct, it's banned~

Empoleon: Looks all good here~

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2011
    Thanks for the advice, how does this look:

Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
    Dragon Dance
    Crunch
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge

Steelix @ Sitrus Berry
    Stealth Rock
    Roar
    Earthquake
    Gyro Ball (Curse)

Shuffle the team around after a SR, scout, weaken with EQ. Now thinking of putting Curse in and leaving out Gyro Ball to make a better wall, suggestions?

Scizor: @ Life Orb
    Adamant: 4 HP / 252 Att / 252 SpD
    Swords Dance
    Bullet Punch
    U-Turn
    Brick Break

Sweep after SD, scout and weaken, switch in and revenge kill, get rid of pesky ice users and sweepers like Weavile. Really like having the option to U-Turn out of any possible counters so I think I'll keep U-Turn and try it out this way.

Garchomp @ Dragon Fang
    Swords Dance
    Earthquake
    Dragon Claw
    Fire Fang

SD and sweep, STAB moves and Fire Fang for coverage and to stop counters

Gliscor @ Leftovers
    U-Turn
    Roost
    Earthquake
    Toxic

Tried to make a balance between offense and defense with this EV Spread, I looked at a bunch of analysis sets and I thought this would make him a little more defensive, plus hopes of Sand Veil having some affect. Switch in to toxic and U-turn out when necessary, EQ everything possible and Roost when needed. There to deal damage and partially to weaken walls.

Empoleon @ Shuca Berry
    Ice Beam
    Grass Knot
    Knock Off
    Yawn

One of the earlier switch ins to counter super-effective hitters, pesky dragons, bulky waters, and other physical walls. Stop Blissey with Yawn and other sweepers with yawn/knock off.

Still would like to stay within the realm of Sandstorm resistant, thanx(:

@ M4YH4M: I'll try that today thanx! I'll get back to you later then!

Last edited:

Valarauca

I > U for all real values of U
    Years
  • garchomp would love a yache berry and dragon dance if better then sword dance, because of the speed boost. That set up basically makes him broken.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    garchomp would love a yache berry and dragon dance if better then sword dance, because of the speed boost. That set up basically makes him broken.

Garchomp doesnt get DD.

That and Garchomp is banned in gen 4 due to its brokeness and so is Salamence. So that leaves Flygon, Kingdra and Dragonite which you can use in that slot.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Thanks for the advice, how does this look:

Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
    Dragon Dance
    Crunch
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge

Steelix @ Leftovers
    Stealth Rock
    Roar
    Earthquake
    Gyro Ball (Curse)

Shuffle the team around after a SR, scout, weaken with EQ. Now thinking of putting Curse in and leaving out Gyro Ball to make a better wall, suggestions?

Not a lot of people use Curse on Steelix because it's hard to use. Keep its current set (with SR/Roar/EQ/Gyro Ball).

Adamant: 4 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spe
    Swords Dance
    Bullet Punch
    U-Turn
    Brick Break

Sweep after SD, scout and weaken, switch in and revenge kill, get rid of pesky ice users and sweepers like Weavile. Really like having the option to U-Turn out of any possible counters so I think I'll keep U-Turn and try it out this way.

Garchomp @ Dragon Fang
    Swords Dance
    Earthquake
    Dragon Claw/Outrage
    Fire Fang

SD and sweep, STAB moves and Fire Fang for coverage and to stop counters

I think Leftovers/Life Orb is better over Dragon Fang. The only move that benefits is Dragon Claw. Outrage is an option if you want more power, but you can keep Dragon Claw if you don't want to risk confusion.

Gliscor @ Leftovers
    Jolly & Sand Veil: 180 HP / 88 Att / 120 SpD / 120 Spe
    U-Turn
    Roost
    Earthquake
    Toxic

Tried to make a balance between offense and defense with this EV Spread, I looked at a bunch of analysis sets and I thought this would make him a little more defensive, plus hopes of Sand Veil having some affect. Switch in to toxic and U-turn out when necessary, EQ everything possible and Roost when needed. There to deal damage and partially to weaken walls.

Empoleon @ Shuca Berry
    Ice Beam
    Grass Knot
    Knock Off
    Yawn

The lack of STAB hurts here. Empoleon needs Surf over Ice Beam or Grass Knot (it depends on whether you want to deal with Dragons or other bulky Waters).

Comments/suggestions in bold.

Edit:
    I'd consider replacing Steelix with Swampert:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Earthquake
    -Ice Beam
    -Roar
    Nature: Relaxed
    EVs: 248 HP/212 Def/48 SDef
    Item: Leftovers

Swampert has a better defensive typing than Steelix, IMO.

Last edited:

TheMysteryEgg

Pokemon Breeder and Fuzer
    Years
  • What is recurring in your team is a "one man army" moveset. I have that too but there are some trainers I have met who hate that. Your "one man army" moveset lets you get more type advantages but limits the times you can have that advantage. If I battled with your Empoleon against a Infernape with all fire type moves, you wouldn't have a water type move to destroy it and my opponents' Infernape would destroy your Empoleon with the normal-effectiveness fire type moves. So I think that your team should have at least one move that is the same as its' type. But most of your team members have that so you shouldn't worry in this subject except for your Empoleon.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • What is recurring in your team is a "one man army" moveset. I have that too but there are some trainers I have met who hate that. Your "one man army" moveset lets you get more type advantages but limits the times you can have that advantage. If I battled with your Empoleon against a Infernape with all fire type moves, you wouldn't have a water type move to destroy it and my opponents' Infernape would destroy your Empoleon with the normal-effectiveness fire type moves. So I think that your team should have at least one move that is the same as its' type. But most of your team members have that so you shouldn't worry in this subject except for your Empoleon.

Basically what your trying to say is that Empoleon lacks a STAB move.

Thanks for the advice, how does this look:

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
    Sassy: 252 Hp / 180 Sp.Atk / 76 SpD
    Stealth Rock
    Ice Beam
    Fire Blast
    Crunch

Better than your original set up tbh, SR to set up, Fire Blast can surprise any Scizor's who think they can switch in on you, Crunch for STAB and to deal with Gengar' and Froslass.

Swampert @ Leftovers
    Relaxed & Torrent:
    248 HP/212 Def/48 SDef
    Waterfall/Stealth Rock
    Earthquake
    Ice Beam
    Roar

Obv go for Waterfall over SR if your using it on Tyranitar, although if your cautious that your opponent will whip out Starmie or someone to Rapid Spin, keep SR on, Ice beam is for Grass and Dragons, Earthquake for Stab, Roar's for dealing damage with SR.

Adamant: 4 HP / 252 Att / 252 SpD
    Swords Dance
    Bullet Punch
    U-Turn
    Superpower

Sweep after SD, scout and weaken, switch in and revenge kill, get rid of pesky ice users and sweepers like Weavile. Really like having the option to U-Turn out of any possible counters so I think I'll keep U-Turn and try it out this way. Superpower does a lot more than Brick Break, sure it may lower your attack and defense one stage, but then just U-Turn or simply call it back to get your stats back.

Flygon @Life Orb
    Jolly & Levitate: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Earthquake
    Roost
    Dragon Claw
    Fire Blast/Stone Edge

Garchomp is banned in standard OU 4th Gen, so Flygon is better, it can take advantage of Sandstorm (Well not take any damage) standard physical attack set ~

Gliscor @ Leftovers
    U-Turn
    Roost
    Earthquake
    Toxic

Empoleon @ Petya Berry
    Modest: 12 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 240 SpD
    Agility
    Surf/Hydro Pump
    Grass Knot
    Ice Beam

Where did Knock off come into this, and Yawn? u_u Knock off is terrible and Yawn just isn't for Empoleon. Standard Agility set, Surf for reliability or Hydro Pump for power, Ice beam for Dragons and Flyers, Grass Knot for Swampert.

Taking tiny amounts of Sand Storm damage is really nothing, if your not careful though Water and Ice types could dominate your team.

My suggestions and changes are in BOLD

Back