• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Karate Kid (2010) vs. The Karate Kid (1984)

Izanagi

Jesus Saves.
Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    Which film did you think was better? It's been awhile since I've seen the old version, but save for some small things, I think I might prefer the new version. What about you?

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years
  • The first one is a class, but compared to the new version, it is sub par.
    The the newer 2010 version the cast, acting, writing, locations, and most important of all FIGHTING is much better.
    Now both of them have a high cheese factor, but the new version just is overall more of a complete package.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • The original Karate Kid is "classic", but this new one is just...better. It's practically an upgrade of the original one; exactly the same story and ideas, just with shinier filming, newer cast and stuff, and, well, it is just better.

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
    Years
  • Why is it Karate Kid? I mean the originals were actual Okinawan-style karate (close to) whereas the 2010 version is Jackie Chan teaching Jaden Smith Kung Fu. Kung Fu is not Karate

Years
  • More like The Kung-fu Kid vs. The Karate Kid.

I haven't seen the 2010 version but from what I have read, the kid gets taught kung-fu and not karate, so I'm not sure if it is worth to watch considering how good the original movie was.

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
  • Well sweeties, The Karate Kid (2010) is called The Kung Fu Kid everywhere else except in America. I guess they're tagging on the name's popularity.

Anyway the first one was a classic. The remake was as expected flashier and modernized. I did enjoy the fights a lot more in Kung Fu Kid, also Jackie Chan's character, Mr. Han reminded me so much of my father, down to the awesome mustache. XD

I say it's close call, but I want to say the original was better for, the kids in the 2010 one were way too young for their roles, and maybe it's just me sounding old, but I didn't care for the music in the 2010 one. I did enjoy it though...mostly because Jackie Chan was in it. XD Also the move Dre used instead of the Crane Kick was awesome.

Years
  • OLD OLD OLD OLD!

The new version is a joke. Just everything about it is stupid.
    The change of setting, the change of person. I don't care if it is a remake, it is still suppose to show some previous signs.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • I don't care if it is a remake, it is still suppose to show some previous signs.

I dunno, but everything is exactly the same.

The kid and his lone mother move to a new region and gets bullied over a girl by a guy who is taught a martial art in a bad way. The kid tries to use what little he knows of said martial art, but fails, and is defended by maintenance man, a secret martial arts master in disguise. Maintenance man refuses to be teacher of kid and instead goes to martial art dojo where bad way is taught and tries to resolve the conflict. Maintenance man fails and instead has to train kid to be a master in the martial arts for a competition later, but the bad dojo kids can't bully Karate Kid until then.

Maintenance man becomes like a dad to the kid as he trains the kid by repetitive but stupid looking maneouvres, but the kid instead finds that he can now block properly thanks to said repetitive maneouvres. Through the teaching, kid learns about balance and stuff.

At the competition, kid is underdog and surprises everyone where he jumps to the semis. The kid is then sent out of action by a bad dojo kid who smashes his knee. Physician says he won't recover, but the kid is still scared and doesn't want the bullies to have gotten the better of him and makes the maintenance man do a magical painkilling technique and he returns to fight. He survives all the bad stuff thrown at him by the main bully and eventually does some awesome martial arts action to win the day. The main bully, respectful of the kid's awesomeness, presents the trophy himself.

Everything's changed, yes, but, in another sense, everything's still the same.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2010
    Despite having the same title, I really don't think these two movies could be compared. They felt like two different stories to me, not like a continuation or a remake of the old one.

Years
  • I like the old karate kid teacher better than the new jackie chan. Jackie chan is suppose to be a comedy actor not an action pack guy. So Mr. Migi was better than Jackie.

Izanagi

Jesus Saves.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    Um, Jackie Chan's first film was a cameo in Bruce Lee's Enter the Dragon, and you're calling him a strict comedy actor? Have you ever seen the man fight?!

Pokemon Ranger Lisa

Without a voice...
    Years
  • This movie looks better than the original to me, but i haven't seen it yet. after I do though, I will probably like it more than the original but that's just me. ^-^;

Years
    • WA
    • Seen Jul 19, 2012
    Old version. Yep, I'm wearing my nostalgia goggles and I don't plan on taking 'em off.

Seriously though, as Captain Fabio stated above the new version is a joke.

Years
  • First day in the UK and I've just came back from seeing it.

I haven't seen the original in ages but I have the feeling it doesnt compare to the new one at all.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Well sweeties, The Karate Kid (2010) is called The Kung Fu Kid everywhere else except in America. I guess they're tagging on the name's popularity.

Anyway the first one was a classic. The remake was as expected flashier and modernized. I did enjoy the fights a lot more in Kung Fu Kid, also Jackie Chan's character, Mr. Han reminded me so much of my father, down to the awesome mustache. XD

I say it's close call, but I want to say the original was better for, the kids in the 2010 one were way too young for their roles, and maybe it's just me sounding old, but I didn't care for the music in the 2010 one. I did enjoy it though...mostly because Jackie Chan was in it. XD Also the move Dre used instead of the Crane Kick was awesome.

It's called the Karate Kid in the United Kingdom and in Holland too.

Graceful

あぁ、たいさ!♥
    Years
  • I feel the original had me interested (and the sequels! - Part I, Part II, Part III, The Next Karate Kid) but this one doesn't. AND IT'S NOT EVEN DAMN KARATE!!!!!!
    Atashi wa okotte.....>.<

WonderGirl

Bye bye :(
    Years
  • I know right, it's not even Karate! Lol.

I saw the 2010 one and damn it's awesome! I didn't see the old one though. But Jaden Smith really did a good job along with Jackie Chan. I think it's one of the best movies of the year.

Chad -

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2012
    I liked the new one. The main character in this movie is more fit, IMO. Adding Jackie Chan to the movie, it surely dominates the original one. Pat Morita was amazing in the original one, but I like Jackie more.

Back