• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Disappointment In Starter Evolution?

Years
  • I picked Torchic out of habit of picking fire starters but wasn't satisfied so I ended up restarting and picking Treecko - best decision I ever made (okay, well, one of the best lol) cause he's awesome :cool:

BZW Golem

Conspirator~
    Years
  • The ones that did disappoint me in terms of design:

Venusaur - Bulbasaur looked really good.. but THIS?

Croconaw/Feraligatr - Good 1st form.. the rest was not that good. I did start liking Feraligatr after some time, but at first I hated It >.>

Sceptile - It looks horrible, but the first 2 forms are really good..

Swampert - It's strange but I do not like his design. Mudkip and Marshtomp were well.. looked really sweet and happy. Swampert tried to be scary and lost what I liked about the first forms.

Empoleon - he has a trident on his face? I seriously hate him for that >.>

Pignite/Emboar - just simply ugly >_<

Samurott - I will never understand what this thing is supposed to resemble.. never.

User19sq

The biggest disappointment for me was Oshawott's looks. To me, Samurott is awesome, but they should've tried better with Oshawott and Dewott. Aside from that, it's been good.

The only other disappointment was Emboar's bad defenses. A Pokemon with that much bulk gives the impression of being able to widthstand much more. But oh well. XD

Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2012
    Gen V starters aren't great. I chose Oshawott because Samurott looks cool, Snivy didn't appeal to me, neither did Tepig, but additionally Tepig for the reason below:

I said something on serebii, but the GEN V starters dissapointed me. Namely Emboar. I wish it were something else other than fire/fighting >:c

Yeah that type match up annoyed so many ppl. 3 Gen's in a row of the same type match up is very poor. whether it would have been weaker or not they should have made it like... Ground or something.

# on Sceptile,
    Move wise, It was pretty average in Gen 3, but nowadays it's somewhat usable. they've given it some decent moves now and its speedy so you could turn it into sweeper.

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2012
    Generally, I thought all first gen starters were great. Squirtle's was the best and as awesome as Blastoise is I LOVED Wartortle in terms of its ears and tail.

Totodile's line I never used to like but they've really grown on me. I hated Bayleef in the Chikorita line but loved both Meganium and Chikorita; Chikorita is adorable. Cyndaquil's is a nice evolution line, but personally I'm no fan of Quilava.

Third gen's all had amazing first forms, but I never wanted to evolve Torchic as it got progressively uglier, and the same goes for Mudkip. Love Sceptile.

Fourth gen I loved the starters for the most part. I didn't like Piplup's evolutions but Empoleon's steel typing won me over. The Chimchar line and Turtwig line were both awesome.

But, ugh, fifth gen. I picked Tepig which I found adorable but Pignite could have been better and Emboar is just awful. The shiny is nice, though, but it won't make me forgive GameFreak and their overuse of fire/fighting. Oshawott grew on me over time, and Dewott is simply awesome for a second form, but Samurott ruined that line for me completely. I quite liked Snivy's line but I think it deserved the dragon typing other people have mentioned. If Altaria can get a dragon typing, then I don't see why Serperior doesn't deserve one. That, and it had a stall level up move pool which didn't suit me for an in-game run.

arbok

cobra pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    I quite liked Snivy's line but I think it deserved the dragon typing other people have mentioned. If Altaria can get a dragon typing, then I don't see why Serperior doesn't deserve one.
    I think it's the same reason Charizard isn't a dragon type, starters cannot be dragon's (at least not just one of them) as it would hold an advantage in resistances against the other two. Gen 4 attempted to balance the starters by making it grass-ground/fire-fighting/water-steel so every stater had a weakness against the other but giving just Serperior dragon typing would make it resistant to fire and thus undermining Emboar.

Years
  • The fact that Snivy eventually loses his arms was a big disappointment. And like bobandbill said, Dewott's structure suggested a different evolution, and the way its body colour turns turquoise was irrelevant in most cases.

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    Bulbasaur / Ivysaur / Venusaur : Although they reminded me of frogs and toads (I am irrationally, deathly afraid of amphibians), I liked this starter line. I'm attributing my like of it towards the blooming flower carried on each stage's back. and While the looks creeped me out a bit as a child, I have to say that I did think that they looked pretty cool overall.

Charmander / Charmeleon / Charizard : Charmander was my first ever Pokémon. I simply love this line. The slow progression from Charmander to Charizard was a beauty. From huggable, thick Charmander to the single-horned, thinned down Charmeleon, to the double-horned and winged Charizard, this line was ingeniously planned. Charmeleon is also on of the two middle evolutions that I'd actually be content with not evolving, the other being Quilava.

Squirtle / Wartortle / Blastoise : Squirtle is adorable. Wartortle looked weird to me as a kid, and although not so much anymore, it's still weird. Blastoise just looks like a bada-..butt. The cannons on its back, no matter how much it defies logic, simply shouts power.

Chikorita / Bayleef / Meganium : Although much better than the Saur-line, I still wouldn't pick this grass family. That said, I do love their designs. From the cute Chikorita to the beautiful Meganium, every stage of this evolutionary line holds a very elegant look.

Cyndaquil / Quilava / Typhlosion : Cyndaquil is just plain adorable. Quilava is an amazing evolution as while it retains some of Cyndaquil's cute traits, it also shows off aspects of growing up, evident in its tougher and "cooler" looks. Same thing I said about Blastoise, I'll say about Typlohsion. It looks BA. Along with the Char-line, I really liked this line of fire starters as each evolution made sense, compared to the previous.

Totodile / Croconaw / Feraligatr : Totodile looked so cool to me as a child haha. and It still does. But wtf is Croconaw? It's so ****ing ugly. and Feraligtr? Meh. I guess it's better than Croconaw, but it still looks awkward.

Treeko / Grovyle / Sceptile : This whole family just creeped me out. Wasn't a fan of them when I first saw'em, not a fan of them now. Probably will never be a fan of them.

Torchic / Combusken / Blaziken : Torchic looks like a failed attempt at trying to make a Pokémon cute, but I like its design nevertheless. Combusken looks awkward. It's passable but I'm not fond of it. Blaziken shares the same description as Typlosion and Blastoise (I guess I'll include Charizard, too, just in case anyone decides to argue with me that Charizard looks BA too). With Dream World granting it Speed Boost, my fire starter is finally shining.

Mudkip / Marshtomp / Swampert : Ew. Like, wtf was Gamefreak thinking when they created this line? Ugly. For the Mudkip fans, I don't find it cute in the slightest bit.

Turtwig / Grotle / Torterra : I love, love, love this line. 4th Gen marked the first time I didn't pick a fire-starter and it was all because of this family. How, if anyone, thinks Turtwig is not an adorable starter is beyond me. BRB, I'm gonna go buy a real pet turtle.. Anyways, Grotle continues in the tradition of middle-evolutions looking awkward, but it's a nice transition between Turtwig and Torterra. Speaking of Torterra, guess what I'm going to say about it? Yep, BA. While it looks slow and bulky, it looks mean as hell. If I saw a Torterra in real life, my first thoughts would be, "I do not want to piss that thing off." In addition, getting STAB for Earthquake, one of the best offensive moves in the game? Yes, please.

Chimchar / Monferno / Infernape : Chimchar is so cute. Monferno.. Not so much. Again, awkward second evolutionary stage, but this one isn't as bad as the others. Infernape.. Interesting. I'm pretty neutral about this one. While it does look cool, it screamed Blaziken wannabe to me. Other than that, I have no qualms about this line.

Piplup / Prinplup / Empoleon : I'm just going to say this up front; Prinplup is hiddeous. It looks so stupid.. Otherwise, Piplup is pretty cute and Empoleon looks pretty amazing, if I do say so myself. That and a unique Water/Steel typing? This stage completed what was a pretty solid starter pool in 4th gen, for me.

Snivy / Servine / Serperior : I love their arrogant appearance. While not as amazing as last gen's grass starter, Serperior holds its own. Snivy and Servine both have that "You can't beat me," look, and can I just say it does look good on them. While I found it odd that Snivy's legs and arms developed when it evolved into Servine, but then disappeared when it evolved again into Serperior, its not big enough a problem to bother me.

Tepig / Pignite / Emboar : Ugh. Seriously? Another Fire/Fighting starter family? That in itself was enough to have me dislike this line. Tepig is cute, I guess, but Pignite and Emboar look dumb. I'll hand it to Emboar, though, its shiny-form looks pretty cool. Other than that, the only reason I'd like this line is because they're self-cooking bacon.

Oshawott / Dewott / Samurott : Oshawott. Ew. Ugly. It, like Torchic, looks like a failed attempt at looking cute. Dewott is like Combusken, too, that really awkward middle stage. I gotta say Dewott does have a better design that Combusken, though. Samurott, again, is like Blaziken, in an awesome looking final evolution. Except that the fire-chicken line makes a bit of sense, while the Dewott to Samurott evolution makes no sense, whatsover. So while Torchic's questionable attempt to look cute is saved by Blaziken, Oshawott cannot make the same argument as Samurott doesn't even resemble it in any way, shape, or form.

There, you have it, my 2¢ :P

Last edited:

EB

Re: World
    Years
  • Charlie Parker - Confirmation

Emboar and Empoleon were pretty big downers, imo.

=

Never even bothered with Treeko or Mudkip's evolutionary lines.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
  • I never really thought much of Piplup, Chimchar and Turtwig's final evos...even though I quite like Piplup. I'd have to say the black/white starters have pretty nice evos. No disappointments thare, I normaly like the final evo, but I never even wanted to evolve my Piplup :c

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Although I used it, I really dislike Feraligatr in pretty much every way. I hate its name; I hate its design; I hate its movepool; I hate its stats. And to add insult to injury, Totodile is kinda cute! Same kinda goes for Samurott, although in that case I like its design a bit more (and have no affection for Oshawott).

Years
  • I personally think Sceptile is odd. I mean, when I was younger I loved Grovile so so so so so much. But then I got Emerald, and chose Treecko. Out came Sceptile, which was rather disappointing. And I LOVE the Cyndaquil line, Typhlosion's my favorite starter evo. Kinda am okay with Samurot, and I hate Emboar. Marshstomp was cool, and I loved the entire Torchic lineup. I liked all of the Emerald starters really. Gen 1 was good, and gen 4 wasn't bad. Gen 5, ugh. Really expected more out of those games. :/

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
  • Fat pig wearing a corset?
    Nica's probably going to bite you if she sees that

Oh and Piplup and Mijumaru's final evos are so ugly but I still picked them >__>;;
    Tbh all of the final evos of starter pokes (except for Jalorda) are ugly >A<;;

Back