• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokemon Red and Blue Deluxe

Should monsters have Generation 2-styled front sprites?

• Yes

Votes: 372 82.1%
  • No

Votes: 81 17.9%

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 21, 2021
Does anyone else find Challenge Mode H3 unnecessarily harsh in terms of the level curve? I'm interested in Inverse Mode and roster changes, but I've played numerous difficulty hacks before and this is the only one that has made lose to regular trainers on a frequent basis.

And what does "the order of progression the game expects you to take changes after you reach half way through Kanto" entail exactly?

Give me an example of your levels and where you're at now so I can make a reference.

As for the progression of the game,

Spoiler:

Unown Seer

Earnest
Years
  • Seen Dec 6, 2020
Give me an example of your levels and where you're at now so I can make a reference.
I've reached Pewter City (being unable to take on Brock) with the following party:

Lv7 Bulbasaur
Lv6 Rattata
Lv8 Pancham
Lv11 Pidgey

Maybe the problem is raising more than two Pokémon so early on, but I've barely trained Rattata or even Bulbasaur. I've faced some trainers on Route 3, but even a Lv13 Rattata (with Bite) wipes out my team.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 21, 2021
I've reached Pewter City (being unable to take on Brock) with the following party:

Lv7 Bulbasaur
Lv6 Rattata
Lv8 Pancham
Lv11 Pidgey

Maybe the problem is raising more than two Pokémon so early on, but I've barely trained Rattata or even Bulbasaur. I've faced some trainers on Route 3, but even a Lv13 Rattata (with Bite) wipes out my team.

Yeah, that's spread pretty thin - unless you're prepared to grind a lot I'd try only raising 2 or 3 monsters, the levels are barely higher than Normal Mode at that point (iirc Brock's Onix is only 2 levels up from the original levels). The AI is a lot more aggressive too, really.

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I get not wanting to use the Phys/Spec split but since Rattata and certain other pokemon use Bite that ends up making it a useless move. Is it possible to make all ghost moves special and all dark moves physical instead?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 21, 2021
I get not wanting to use the Phys/Spec split but since Rattata and certain other pokemon use Bite that ends up making it a useless move. Is it possible to make all ghost moves special and all dark moves physical instead?

I considered it heavily but opted out as it wouldn't be as "official". I may revisit the idea at some point especially if there's enough demand for it.

Del

Iт'ѕ rαιɴιɴɢ oυтѕιde [...]
Years
A GBC BASED ROM HACK A GBC BASED ROM HACK A GBC BASED ROM HACK !!!!!!
WOWHOWOWOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AWESSOME!!! yayayayya thaank youu!!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 21, 2021
1.05 is now out.

1.05:
  • Oak now gives out 5 Poke Balls at the start of the game (Thanks, Mateo!)
  • Minor text inconsistency fixed in Celadon Department Store
  • Adjustments to the prices of Game Corner Prizes
This particularly makes it a bit easier on people getting Eevee for their Pokedexes.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 21, 2021
Since you said you are using my code for using HMs in the field, you might want to take a look at field_moves.asm again in the RedPlusPlus repo. I fixed a bug some people noticed in Red++ where talking to the water would let you surf at times when using it "normally" would say you weren't allowed to, and I've since fixed the code to work as intended.

Duly noted, I'll remind myself to fix it up for the next release.

Nice hack. But explain me one thing. I've got Roggenrola. And it have P on the left corner of status screen. What that mean?

Perfect DVs/IVs across the board.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 21, 2021
WOW! So. Luxry Balls give Perfect IVs/DVs in this hack? Anyways Shiny Ball is very great item... I have by this my Shiny Shuppet. (I preffer use * sign than ! for Shinies). Anyways. Very good hack. I can said that you are better hacker in GEN 1 than Mateo.

Thanks! I'm pretty sure I'm nowhere near as good as any of the guys on the credits list though, including Mateo - especially in the coding department seeing as most of that stuff comes from them. Concepts and ideas are my main selling point. ^^;

Great hack! BUT where can l find JIRACHI and SPIRITOMB?

Jirachi -
Spoiler:

Spiritomb - It's handed out in a trade within Cerulean City. You'll need Shuppet (Red) or Golett (Blue).

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 21, 2020
Are all Pokemon available in each version? I mean the "version exclusives" are just really rare in the other game right?

Also, 3 things I think just reading some of the things you've said and as I've (just) started playing:

1. Maybe gender choice? Not sure how possible that is but I would rather play as a boy in Blue (while keeping the blue color palette for him, or play a girl in Red).

2. Maybe make it so your rival is the respective color choice opposite of the main player (i.e. in Red the character is Red, so make the rival Blue, but in Blue, make the rival Green)? Just a thought.

3. Finally, I saw you talking about sprites and I don't really know anything about ROM hacks or anything, but maybe an option to use Gen2 front/back sprites (for consistency, since you noted this).

Otherwise, I can't wait to play through this completely! Awesome work, keep it up!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 21, 2021
Are all Pokemon available in each version? I mean the "version exclusives" are just really rare in the other game right?

Also, 3 things I think just reading some of the things you've said and as I've (just) started playing:

1. Maybe gender choice? Not sure how possible that is but I would rather play as a boy in Blue (while keeping the blue color palette for him, or play a girl in Red).

2. Maybe make it so your rival is the respective color choice opposite of the main player (i.e. in Red the character is Red, so make the rival Blue, but in Blue, make the rival Green)? Just a thought.

3. Finally, I saw you talking about sprites and I don't really know anything about ROM hacks or anything, but maybe an option to use Gen2 front/back sprites (for consistency, since you noted this).

Otherwise, I can't wait to play through this completely! Awesome work, keep it up!

1. It's 100% possible - I could've included it from the start but opted not to as to give Red and Blue more of a difference. It was a bit of a experimental choice; so if there's enough demand I'll throw a poll up for that..

2. With the rival, I decided to stick to his default name in the Japanese canon - Green Oak. I made his color green for both versions to match up with this; and it fits in well enough (I think?)

3. I'll throw a poll up on this tomorrow.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 21, 2021
I have question for you how many exterior legendaries are you hide... And extra question is where I can met <I know that you include it> Registeel?

Only legendary in the game outside of the legendary birds, Mewtwo and Mew is Jirachi; see my response to sy94123 for that one.

Years
  • Seen May 7, 2023
Thank you! I have already got JIRACHI and almost finish the dex(253 seen /197 own), but some monsters can't be found by the dex(poliwag family). Where can l get them?

Years
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I just beat the hardest version of Blue DX and enjoyed it quite a bit even though I've played the original games and Fire Red/Leaf Green a million times. Thank you for making this TheScarletSword.

Questions/Concerns:
1. What is there to do in the post-game other than catch Pokemon? I don't see this in the OP.
2. I second the notion that the front sprites should be from gen 2. I think the gen 1 sprites look ugly against the gen 2 graphics.
3. I was frustrated that Excadrill couldn't learn Iron Head. What's that about?
4. I started playing Red DX to try playing through with the other new Pokemon and can't find Deino. Maybe it's in Victory Road?

Back