• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What has happened to Metal in the last 10 years?

Years
  • Now, despite being only in my late teens, I'm pretty old-fashioned. I grew up with bands like Queen, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd and Aerosmith, just to name a few, and Iron Maiden, Disturbed and Metallica have shaped my current music taste. As you can see, I prefer just Classic Rock and good old Heavy Metal and pre-2000's Thrash.
    That's not to say I hate the stuff that's popped up in the last decade - well, some of it. I really like Godsmack, Rage Against The Machine, and Bullet For My Valentine, and a few other newer bands.
    BUT.
    Since when did screaming your lungs out and roaring, "fuck you, fuck the world, I'll fuck-ing kill all of you" count as Metal? As far as I'm concerned, bands like Suicide Silence and Five Finger Death Punch have ruined everything. Even worse, they've made the world view this kind of cacophony as what ALL Metal is like. You got people comparing Led Zep to Death Rot, for God's sake. I'm ashamed to see what my favourite genre has become in the last decade.

No offense to anyone who actually likes this screamy bullsh*t. To each their own and all that.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • Since when did screaming your lungs out and roaring, "fuck you, fuck the world, I'll fuck-ing kill all of you" count as Metal?
    this is not a new development. my metal knowledge is slightly lacking but as far as I'm concerned Slayer's Reign in Blood was one of the first huge albums in that vein, and huge it really is, considering it's one of the best-selling thrash metal records of all time (and, for that matter, one of the highest-selling metal albums full stop). and that album came out in 1986. so, it's been that way since 1986, I guess. I have no doubt that there were huge death metal albums before that point, too: I just don't know enough to really comment on that, you feel me.

you're right in that there are a shitton of subsets of metal, and that people get them confused often -- but that's no reason to discredit all the important metal albums that have come out in the past 10 years or so. Agalloch, Deafheaven, Wolves in the Throne Room, and Isis have all put out some of the best albums in the genre ever, and that's not even to mention all the stuff that isn't necessarily metal but skirts genre lines.

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    evanescence released fallen in 2003 and the entire world subsequently realised that to try and top such an album would be an act of mortal hubris

Years
  • this is not a new development. my metal knowledge is slightly lacking but as far as I'm concerned Slayer's Reign in Blood was one of the first huge albums in that vein, and huge it really is, considering it's one of the best-selling thrash metal records of all time (and, for that matter, one of the highest-selling metal albums full stop). and that album came out in 1986. so, it's been that way since 1986, I guess. I have no doubt that there were huge death metal albums before that point, too: I just don't know enough to really comment on that, you feel me.

you're right in that there are a ****ton of subsets of metal, and that people get them confused often -- but that's no reason to discredit all the important metal albums that have come out in the past 10 years or so. Agalloch, Deafheaven, Wolves in the Throne Room, and Isis have all put out some of the best albums in the genre ever, and that's not even to mention all the stuff that isn't necessarily metal but skirts genre lines.

I don't like Slayer, either. It all sounds the same to me.
    But you know most Alternative, Groove and Death Metal are post-1900's? THOSE are the ones I hate - since when did screaming and roaring and torturing instruments to death count as music? Of COURSE I'm gonna discredit them. I find them awful.
    Oh, and you're right - some of this stuff has been around a long time - Sepultura is even older than Iron Maiden.
    I just don't like how the Metal of yester-century has devolved into screaming emo swearfests.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • I don't like Slayer, either. It all sounds the same to me.
    But you know most Alternative, Groove and Death Metal are post-1900's? THOSE are the ones I hate - since when did screaming and roaring and torturing instruments to death count as music? Of COURSE I'm gonna discredit them. I find them awful.
    Oh, and you're right - some of this stuff has been around a long time - Sepultura is even older than Iron Maiden.
    I just don't like how the Metal of yester-century has devolved into screaming emo swearfests.

I love some really harsh music (like, in the noise / grindcore / screamo pantheon (and Slayer for that matter)), so I'm not sure we're gonna agree on much of anything because I love that shit, but it's still childish to discredit something's worth based on yer opinion of it. also, Sepultura formed in '84 and Maiden in '75. (;

also, I don't like Five Finger Death Punch as much as the next guy, but you just have to do a little digging in order to find newer metal that's suited to your taste (& I'm sure you'll be able to find something within the genre that you enjoy).

also also, emo is one of my favorite genres and it's something people have a huge misconception about anyway that's already irreversible because of the rise of Black Veil Brides & My Chemical Romance & the like, so again, that's kind of off-base: but that's not what you're arguing, and as such I'm not gonna really poke into it too much. different strokes, etc.

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
  • I'm pretty sure that's why everyone discredits things - because of their opinion. Is it childish to have an opinion?

I think you have a misunderstanding of 'discredit'. From what you're saying, I could discredit a scientist who has published a full proof paper simply because I don't like it - and it's completely okay for me to discredit what he has done because it's my opinion.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • I'm not very knowledgeable about metal but it's always been about powerful voices and screaming. Just listen to something like Pantera for example, which is from the early 90s. And the subject of the songs, well Slayer was already doing the nihilist hate for everything way back in the 80s.

Years
  • I'm not very knowledgeable about metal but it's always been about powerful voices and screaming. Just listen to something like Pantera for example, which is from the early 90s. And the subject of the songs, well Slayer was already doing the nihilist hate for everything way back in the 80s.

It hasn't always been about screaming - that's what modern metal has misled people to believe. Yeah, bands like Slayer and Pantera were doing it earlier, but that doesn't make it good.
    Give Iron Maiden a listen. Or Metallica. Or Disturbed. Or Motorhead, Judas Priest, or anything in the NWOBHM. You'll see what metal used to be, before all these damn emos ruined it.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • Give Iron Maiden a listen. Or Metallica. Or Disturbed. Or Motorhead, Judas Priest, or anything in the NWOBHM. You'll see what metal used to be, before all these damn emos ruined it.
    there is no 'before' because bands that screamed coexisted at the same time with all these bands that didn't scream. also Disturbed is super modern and has all of those traits that you rail against blown up, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • It hasn't always been about screaming - that's what modern metal has misled people to believe. Yeah, bands like Slayer and Pantera were doing it earlier, but that doesn't make it good.
    Give Iron Maiden a listen. Or Metallica. Or Disturbed. Or Motorhead, Judas Priest, or anything in the NWOBHM. You'll see what metal used to be, before all these damn emos ruined it.

Dude, the screaming predates metal. It started with bands like Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple. The only difference is that some metal bands made it more gutural.

Years
  • there is no 'before' because bands that screamed coexisted at the same time with all these bands that didn't scream. also Disturbed is super modern and has all of those traits that you rail against blown up, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Wait. You think DISTURBED has those traits? Lemme break this down for you:
    - For the most part, they don't scream
    - They have very few nihilistic lyrics
    - They've tried to remain true to older Metal
    - They have melody, which many screamers lack
    Don't even TRY to compare them with this other shit.

You're splitting hairs now. The point is, MOST brutal, screaming metal appeared recently, and it's awful compared to the classic Hard Rock of the 1900s. Slayer and Pantera, as far as I'm concerned, began the change into this bullcrap, so they're just as bad.

Years
  • Dude, the screaming predates metal. It started with bands like Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple. The only difference is that some metal bands made it more gutural.

Led Zep and Deep Purple did it sparingly, and in places where it benefitted the song most. Also, they hardly ever screamed the actual lyrics - just a wordless scream here or there. "Metal" bands nowadays scream the entire song and it lacks all melody and tune. In short, it's utter bollocks.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Led Zep and Deep Purple did it sparingly, and in places where it benefitted the song most. Also, they hardly ever screamed the actual lyrics - just a wordless scream here or there. "Metal" bands nowadays scream the entire song and it lacks all melody and tune. In short, it's utter bollocks.

Could you post an example? I'm not familiar with new stuff.

Years
    Years
  • Who the **** said that? I said Led Zep is a precursor to metal, not metal.

No one said that. We only mentioned those bands because they also do screaming, but it wasn't as extreme as Suicide Silence.

That was BS.

The OP clearly likes more melodic, straight heavy metal, and isn't so fond of other subgenres like Thrash and Death. Nothing wrong with that.
    Seriously, it took that long for someone to understand that.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • If everyone can stop antagonising everyone else in this thread then that'd be really awesome, thanks. You can all take this as your verbal warning.

Back