• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rank the types

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
  • Simple premise: Rank the 18 types from favorite to least favorite. If you want, include a blurb about why each type is where it is, or tell us your favorite Pokemon of each type, or both. If a favorite pokemon is a dual-type, throw it with whichever one you think is best or whichever type you have another pokemon you want to mention.

Heres my response:

Spoiler:

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • When I rank the types in order of how I like them, this is the order I have them. Course the smaller the number the more I like it.

1. Water
    2. Ice
    3. Steel
    4. Dragon
    5. Ground
    6. Dark
    7. Fighting
    8. Flying
    9. Rock
    10. Electric
    11. Fire
    12. Grass
    13. Ghost
    14. Poison
    15. Psychic
    16. Normal
    17. Bug
    18. Fairy

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I'll go from worst to best to make this even more dramatic than it needs to be :D

GhostIC_Big.png
      Who wants to train a literal ghost? "Oh hi Gengar would you like to hug and be friends?" "WOOOO IM DEAD RAAAAAWR". Not something I want to train! In general the really creepy underlying "dead" factor of these Pokémon puts me off to no end and coupled with all of the creepy Pokémon origins they have (Froslass, Trevenant, Spiritomb, etc) I just really can't stand using this type more than I have to. They have all-around pretty boring moves and are generally just not a type I enjoy using for more than just team coverage. That's not to say they're all awful - Drifloon has always been a big favourite of mine!
      FireIC_Big.png
      Surprised at myself that this isn't last! All-around an incredibly boring type with very few likeable Pokémon, a boring status condition and very few interesting moves. The Fire legendaries are all about as plain as you could get and in general I just never find myself using this type on a team unless I've gone for the Fire starter (which to be fair are often cool!).
      FairyIC_Big.png
      Whilst I don't hugely 'dislike' Fairies, I don't dislike many types other than the two above and Fairy has just never struck a chord with me so this feels like an appropriate placement. In general the type just feels a little under-developed and gimmicky and doesn't really throw out any reasons to like it other than being a counter to dragons. I can't really find a common theme between half of the Fairy-types so it's hard to even say 'what' a Fairy-type is, but from what I do know about them there's nothing at all to make them stand out above other types (other than Dedenne :D).
      PsychicIC_Big.png
      In general I'm not a big fan of training Psychic types as the whole "pet with an IQ higher than yours" thing is a bit off-putting and I find it hard to relate to them as something I'd want to train, but they do have some vaguely cool members and although their moves aren't very interesting there are a few stand-out examples of fun things to use like Psyshock or Future Sight.
      FightingIC_Big.png
      A type I find pretty similar to Psychic in terms of vaguely human-like Pokémon with exaggerated human qualities being a little uncomfortable to train. They're a little higher than the former as Fighting is a very useful type for coverage and in general has some fun/useful moves to play around with, but it's not a type I ever rush to use on a fun in-game team despite there being some pretty cool Fighting-types out there.
      WaterIC_Big.png
      From this point on there really aren't any types left that I dislike, so the new several are all pretty close together. Despite being an all-around pretty cool type with some interesting moves and Pokémon, it's hard to deny that the Water-type has been massively over-saturated with less-than-mediocre Pokémon that 99% of people would never bat an eyelid at which, coupled with the obligation to use one in every team for a Surf/Waterfall user, unfortunately ends up spoiling the type a tad and leaves it feeling a little boring to think about on the whole.
      DarkIC_Big.png
      Dark-type has some cool moves and some very cool Pokémon but unfortunately it just never feels like it lives up to its namesake. It's a little like Flying-type in the respect that it always ends up feeling like a secondary characteristic of a Pokémon rather than its defining feature but unfortunately unlike Flying-type it doesn't tend to add a lot to them as a creature. It's a cool type with a lot of great Pokémon but unfortunately it's far from ever standing out.
      BugIC_Big.png
      Ahh Bug-type, home of both the pesky little insects and their terrifying older brothers. "Hit and miss" is a good term to describe this type which in general houses just a load of tiny ignorable little disappointments, hiding a few little gems like Scizor and Volcarona which really let them keep holding their own. With as many impressive surprises as disappointing rejects, the Bug-type really shows just how powerful a tiny little morsel can be if given the chance to shine and it's just a shame that they aren't usually allowed to or this type would rate a lot higher for me.
      FlyingIC_Big.png
      As with Dark, Flying has always felt more like a secondary-typing than anything, especially before Gen 5 when that's all it ever was. I'm not the biggest fan of Flying-types as a class but I do end up finding myself using them very often, and not just for Fly. Mantine, Yanmega, Gliscor - a lot of Pokémon get some very interesting niches and bonuses from gaining the Flying type and in general I think it's a really cool dynamic that has a lot of unique strengths and weaknesses compared to most other types. Plus I'm obliged to worship the simple boring Pidgey.
      DragonIC_Big.png
      Who doesn't like this type? Dragon is an iconic type with a lot of very cool and interesting Pokémon, and a surprisingly high number of cute Pokémon too. Dragon has some interesting moves like Dragon Rage, Dragon Dance and Outrage, and in general I find its type matchups to be quite cool for using them. Main problem I have with them now is that the Fairy-type has randomly cut their usefulness by quite a measure, but they're still a cool type filled with a lot of interesting Pokémon and moves and are something I find myself using quite often.
      GrassIC_Big.png
      All-around a cool type with a lot of my favourites in it. They get some really cool moves like the powders and drains and these end up leading to some very interesting playstyles. There isn't much to say about this type other than it generally being fun to use but I do wish it was a bit stronger on its own!
      NormalIC_Big.png
      Normal is an interesting type and is one that I've always rather liked. They can be strong, cute, weird, plain, pitiful, powerful, interesting, boring - any word you can think of will probably describe at least a handful of Normal-types and that's one of the big reasons I like them. I almost always end up using a Normal-type on my team be it the weaker starting rodents (most of which I adore!) or a further on more powerful variant and I can honestly say they're usually very fun indeed. With a whole variety of playstyles and skill sets it's hard to find many Normal-types that wouldn't be worth using for at least one play-through so they're definitely high up this list.
      SteelIC_Big.png
      Usually higher up on the list bit more and more silly looking Steel-types are coming out and ruining their feel a tad - here's looking at you "ghost sword" and "randomly floating keychain"! In general it's a cool type with very interesting moves to use and a lot of cool Pokémon within it, boasting some of my favourites such as Bronzong and Bastiodon and all-around feeling like a very reliable type to use.
      IceIC_Big.png
      They're cool. Ahahahahahahahaha. As far as offensive types go Ice is a pretty awesome one - they have a lot of great moves and some very interesting Pokémon, a lot of my favourites included. Ice in general is a really nice thing and I adore the cold so just everything about Ice-type really works for me!
      RockIC_Big.png
      A type that works well both offensively and defensively and carries some very cool Pokémon with it - what's not to like? Rock-type may be boring to a lot of people but personally I find it a lot of fun to use and often I feel like it's one of the more balanced types of the game. It hits hard against a lot of things but gets hit back equally as hard and I struggle to think of many Rock-types that I don't really like. Be it the fossils or the generic lumps of rock, this type encompasses a lot of very iconic and fun to use Pokémon and this all makes it a big favourite of mine.
      ElectricIC_Big.png
      Need I say more? Electric is a cool type that has a lot of notably cute Pokémon, but let's not forget the branch of cooler Pokémon like Luxray, Jolteon and Rotom. With a lot of hard-hitting moves, reliable coverage and a nice status condition to play around with, Electric is easily my favourite offensive typing and something I try to include on every team I use.
      GroundIC_Big.png
      Similar to Rock-types but with more interesting interactions and a lot more cute Pokémon! Probably the most balanced type in the game which has a lot of countering potential and a lot of potential to be countered itself. Ground-types hit hard and can take a hit themselves and have some very unique and interesting moves compared to most other types. A load of my favourite Pokémon are Ground-type including one of my all-time favourites Sandshrew and in general it's a type I'll use in almost every team I make, be it intentionally or not. Ground/Water? Cool. Ground/Flying? Cooler. Ground/just about anything? Never ceases to make an interesting Pokémon exist.
      PoisonIC_Big.png
      Not always the strongest type out there but by far one of the coolest. Poison-type Pokémon have an incredibly fun movepool with some of the most iconic moves of the game and provide so many strategies to play around with all from just one typing. Their status(es) are very fun to use and almost every Poison-type gains some cool ability or tricky move to give it an interesting niche for using it. Poison-types in general make up a load of my favourites including Weezing, Foongus, Arbok, Grimer, Gulpin, Croagunk, Crobat, Vileplume, Scolipede - the list could be as long as their list on Bulbapedia and as such it's only fitting that this type tops the list. Now if only we could get them a legendary Pokémon and they'd finally be complete...
    Blimey that took a long time, probably shouldn't have been so detailed... :D

Years
  • Ahh this is going to be so challenging, but here we go :) (casually stealing cool images from Squirrel--btw, Squirrel if you're reading this, I really enjoyed reading your post haha)

PsychicIC_Big.png
    - I have always loved Psychic types. When constructing a team, I always try to make room for a Psychic Pokemon on my team. I think they're so badass and I just really enjoy training them. My personal favorite Psychic Pokemon is Alakazam, followed closely by Espeon.
    WaterIC_Big.png
    - I usually always pick Water as my starting Pokemon (favorites are Mudkip and Totodile) and I find them powerful, easy to train, and just very enjoyable to use. I think having a water pokemon is essential to having a great team.
    NormalIC_Big.png
    - Oddly enough, I really really like Normal Pokemon. Chansey is one of my favorites (despite not being great at attacks). I think Normal Pokemon are so awesome and I love how strong some of them can become.
    DarkIC_Big.png
    - Similar to Normal Pokemon in my book, Dark Pokemon are pretty badass. My favorite is Mightyena -- I love the way he looks and he's a must-have for Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald.
    ElectricIC_Big.png
    - Electric Pokemon are often really adorable (Pikachu, Raichu, Mareep, Flaafy, Plusle, Minun, need I continue?) and can also become pretty powerful. I usually have one on my team.
    DragonIC_Big.png
    - So strong, so badass, so must-have. Though they can be really difficult to train up to high levels, it is SO worth it.
    IceIC_Big.png
    - Ice Pokemon are great and look pretty cool as well. Though unfortunately most of the time, by the time I encounter an Ice Pokemon, my team is already full.
    FlyingIC_Big.png
    - Ehh. They're alright. Not bad Pokemon. Just really boring Pokemon. I usually have one on my team though (for Fly), so I can't really say anything bad about them.
    FireIC_Big.png
    - They're okay. They're not bad Pokemon either and can be helpful to have on your team. Some are really cute (Cyndaquil, Vulpix), but I generally don't care strongly for them.
    GhostIC_Big.png
    - Again, not bad Pokemon, just somewhat boring. Whenever I have one, I do like using it, but they're not too powerful and they can be a hassle to have on your team.
    GroundIC_Big.png
    - Boring. Very boring. Nothing else to say.
    FightingIC_Big.png
    - I've always hated Fighting Pokemon. I just find them so annoying (especially the Machop line). I'd never have one on my team.
    GrassIC_Big.png
    - Weak Pokemon. Bad Pokemon. While they may be cute, I hate having them on my team as I feel like my other Pokemon carry them hard.
    PoisonIC_Big.png
    - Ugh. Just ugh.
    SteelIC_Big.png
    - So annoying to train; they're not very strong and I don't find any of them cute or a must-have for my team.
    RockIC_Big.png
    - I HATE THESE ANNOYING POKEMON SO MUCH. I HATE GEODUDES AND ONIXES AND THE ENTIRE ROCK-TYPE POKEMON COLLECTION. Words cannot even express my hatred for them.
    BugIC_Big.png
    - No. Bugs. Ugh. They're awful Pokemon and they're not even adorable-looking. They look like bugs. Bugs you would smush.
    N/A.
    FairyIC_Big.png
    - Can't say anything about them really. I haven't played the newer games with Fairy-types in them yet.

Years
  • These rankings change for me all the time, based on my mood. Realistically, numbers 1-3 are interchangeable, along with 4-9, 10-12, and 13-17. Oh, and I'm definitely stealing Ozzy's icon idea, too :P

1. SteelIC_Big.png
      - Even though I didn't use them all that much at the time, the 2 additions in the second generation were one of my favorite parts of the game, with Steel being my go-to type whenever possible. My Empoleon in Platinum is easily in the top 5 of all of the Pokemon I've ever trained in the games.
    2. IceIC_Big.png
      - A few of my favorite Pokemon are Ice type (Froslass, Articuno, Aurorus), and Ice-type moves are some of my favorites in the games.
    3. DarkIC_Big.png
      - As a kid, Dark was easily my favorite type. Not only did I like using them in the games, but Dark-type Pokemon in the TCG always looked so cool.
    4. DragonIC_Big.png
      - I actually used to avoid the Dragon type when I was younger, because everyone else loved it. Then I realized what a mistake I was making, and the rest is history.
    5. PsychicIC_Big.png
      - Along with Ice, the Psychic type has some of my favorite moves in the game. Now if only there were a better Ice/Psychic Pokemon than Jynx, it'd be higher on my list.
    6. FairyIC_Big.png
      - I'm manly enough to admit that I like cute things, so I was quite pleased with the Fairy type (Azumarill getting that secondary typing helped my cause, too).
    7. WaterIC_Big.png
      - With the huge number of Water-type Pokemon available, it's easy for me find at least a handful of them I'd use on a regular basis.
    8. NormalIC_Big.png
      - Can't say I really like or dislike anything about the Normal type, which is why it's roughly in the middle of my list.
    9. GhostIC_Big.png
      - I find Ghost Pokemon really polarizing- either I really like them (Froslass, Chandelure, Gengar, Drifblim...), or I hate them (Cofagrigus, Trevenant, Gourgeist, Golurk...).
    10. FireIC_Big.png
      - While I do like a few of the Pokemon, nothing's really stood out to me about the Fire type.
    11. BugIC_Big.png
      - Butterfree's easily my favorite Pokemon, but if it weren't for that, Bug would probably be lower down my list.
    12. PoisonIC_Big.png
      - I like moves that poison other Pokemon, but that's pretty much all I can say about this type.
    13. GrassIC_Big.png
      - While I really enjoyed most of Hoenn's Grass-type Pokemon, I just never seem to use them past the first couple of Gyms.
    14. FlyingIC_Big.png
      - I think Flying is a great secondary type, but that's really all it is, making it hard to stand out from everything else.
    15. FightingIC_Big.png
      - When you think about it, Fighting isn't all that different from Normal, which makes it hard for me to get excited about Fighting types.
    16. ElectricIC_Big.png
      - I think I've only used one Electric type Pokemon for an extended period of time (Zebstrika in White), and even then, it was rotated in as the 6/7th member of my party.
    17. GroundIC_Big.png
      - Earthquake! Aaand that about sums up my love for Ground types, haha.
    18. RockIC_Big.png
      - It's funny that one of my favorite Pokemon (Aggron) is part-Rock type, yet it still remains my least favorite out of the 18. I hate facing it in battles, and aside from Aggron, I can't say I've used very many Rock Pokemon.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • 18. Fairy
    17. Electric
    16. Water
    15. Ice
    14. Psychic
    13. Normal
    12. Fire
    11. Bug
    10. Grass