• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What did you name your rival? (Barry)

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    There's one of these threads in the Gen 3 forum, and I didn't find one here. I figured I'd start one!

200px-Platinum_Barry.png

Simple question, what did you name your rival?

I named him Dominic! I thought it was a really nice name that flowed really well. I thought it matched his appearance as well.

NYRCVP23

IceBomb
    Years
  • In Diamond: 0123456

In Platinum: BUTTHEAD

I was in like what? 3rd grade or something when those games came out? But holy cow I was cracking up when I went on for the first time in around 3-4 years.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2015
    I kept his name as Barry. I always keep the rivals as their original names. Somehow I feel bad changing them...

Years
  • I went with the usual name of Barry because there was literally no other names I could have imagined for him.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I used COFFEE! back in Platinum, thanks to his 'wants to battle!' sprite animation and also his generally enthusiastic nature. Made for a couple funnier lines when characters referred to him.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    I used COFFEE! back in Platinum, thanks to his 'wants to battle!' sprite animation and also his generally enthusiastic nature. Made for a couple funnier lines when characters referred to him.

Haha! That's awesome. I really liked his enthusiastic attitude.

myystogan

[cimg=width:30px;"]https://i.imgur.com/gbudGz1.png
    Years
  • Whenever possible, I insist on giving my rivals embarrassing names, so once I was given the option to name Barry I immediately went with the first name that popped into my head - Barney.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
  • In Diamond and Platnium I just went with Barry. When the rivals have more canon names, I instantly go with that name 99% of the time. Or an official name at all that I perfer.
    Tempted to name him Pearl once I start well...Pearl version (Pokespe name for Barry) but will probably end up naming him Barry out of habit lol

Anime Sucks

I'd usually select a random name from that list that comes up rather than creating a name for him. Usually it was Barry.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I think I had a few different names for him in different playthroughs, but I'm pretty it was Patrick at least once or twice because he's basically a video game incarnation of my best friend.

Years
    • Seen today
    I named my rival "DAW". Just "DAW".
    I still have no clue what my 9 year old self was thinking.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • In D/Pt, I named him after my best friend because I thought we would be friends and stuff throughout the game. In SS, I named him Charlie, after my bully at the time. He stole a pokemon so the name seemed fitting.

Early

☆ My, how the Earth does move... ☆
    Years
  • My brother named him Tyson before he abandoned his copy of Diamond (and it became mine afterwards), so I kept that tradition up until my last playthrough where I stuck to naming him Barry. I actually like that name a lot! I don't think I'll change it again if I ever decide to restart the game.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I think when I had first played the game that I had either named him "Chance" because that was my best friend of the time's name (this was like 3rd. grade haha) and we both had the game. That, or I just left his name as Barry.

Then when I had played the game again in high school I named him "Rico" because that was my name in Spanish class. lol

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • Back in the day I always named my rivals Logan, since that was my best friend at the time.
    Nowadays I always just go with the default. I stopped caring, I guess.

Back