• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help with a Team (RED)

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2011
    Hey guys.

So I dug out my old GBC and I'm playing the 1st generation pokemon red again and loving it. I've reached Vermillion city and I'm starting to really think about the team I'm going to develop but need a little help.

Just so you know, its just for playing the game and having fun. I've got no one to play or compete against. I just want a fun but able team with most things covered.

I'll list the pokemon I have and the move's I'm planning on having for them:

1) Venusaur
    - Sleep Powder
    - Poison Powder
    - Leach Seed
    - Mega Drain / Solar Flare

2) Pikachu
    - Flash
    - Quick Attack
    - Thunder Wave
    - Thunder

3) Farfetch'd
    - Fly
    - Cut
    - ??
    - ??

4) Pokemon for Surf ??

5) Open Slot (for catching)

6) Open Slot (for MetTwo)

So, for Venusaur which move do you think will be better? Mega Drain fits his tactic of long drawn out combats better but Solar Flare is a good finisher.

For Farfetch'd what do you think his last 2 moves should be? I'm fond of him but I know he's not the best so I'm just using him as a mini HM slave, but how can I make him useful in battles too. Also, he always earns 'boosted' Exp in battles, why?

Any other comments on the team? What pokemon has surf but can also fill in any holes in the team?

All C&C welcome.

- Ga.

Nothing guys? I could really do with some help here??

Last edited by a moderator:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • 1) Venusaur
    - Body Slam
    - Toxic
    - Leach Seed
    - Razor Leaf

2) Raichu
    - Flash
    - Slam
    - Thunder Wave
    - Thunderbolt

Suggestions in bold, idk what to say about Farfetch'd and I don't feel like searching for its learnset. A Surfer, you could consider Snorlax with Amnesia, Surf, Earthquake, and Body Slam. And maybe have an Arcanine just cause its cool. And idk if you want anything in your last slot since you want Mewtwo, but maybe another Psychic type as a placeholder? Perhaps Jynx.

btw, it's harder to get people to help with gen I and II teams, so don't be surprised if my post is the only one you get.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • So, for Venusaur which move do you think will be better? Mega Drain fits his tactic of long drawn out combats better but Solar Flare is a good finisher.

For Farfetch'd what do you think his last 2 moves should be? I'm fond of him but I know he's not the best so I'm just using him as a mini HM slave, but how can I make him useful in battles too. Also, he always earns 'boosted' Exp in battles, why?

Any other comments on the team? What pokemon has surf but can also fill in any holes in the team?

• Solar Flare isn't even an attack lol. But yeah, Venusaur will crit 255 times out of 256 with Razor Leaf because Red is a buggy game.
    • Farfetch'd can't really do much. You might as well slap Sleep Powder on Venusaur and put Toxic on Farfy if you want Farfetch'd to do anything. Farfetch'd really can't do anything.
    • Of course, I'd suggest Dragonite, but I forgot that Gen I was retarded and didn't give him Fly or Cut.
    • Farfetch'd gets boosted EXP because you got him in a trade, i.e. the only place to get him.
    • Rhydon can learn Surf lol but he has bad SPC. Amnesialax and Slowbro are good surfers too... But why don't you just get a surfing Pikachu?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Farfetch'd can't really do much. You might as well slap Sleep Powder on Venusaur and put Toxic on Farfy if you want Farfetch'd to do anything. Farfetch'd really can't do anything.

I would put Toxic on Saur instead because of the Leech Seed/Toxic combo glitch. If the opponent is Toxiced and seeded, the Leech Seed will take more HP each turn and Saur will regain what Toxic was supposed to take away. idk how to explain, but just trust me, the glitch is worth exploiting.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years

• I would put Toxic on Saur instead because of the Leech Seed/Toxic combo glitch. If the opponent is Toxiced and seeded, the Leech Seed will take more HP each turn and Saur will regain what Toxic was supposed to take away. idk how to explain, but just trust me, the glitch is worth exploiting.

Oh yeah. I forgot about that one haha

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2011
    Hhmmm ok, I didn't know about the Toxic / LL combo. I'll change that then. I'm a fan of Quick Attack though, its good for getting that last little bit of damage in before they have a chance to do anything. Also, I've been thinking about Snorlax for surf and to use as a special sweeper. How about this:

1) Venusaur
    - Sleep Powder
    - Toxic
    - Leach Seed
    - Solar Beam / Razorleaf

2) Pikachu
    - Flash
    - Quick Attack
    - Thunder Wave
    - Thunder

3) Farfetch'd
    - Fly
    - Cut
    - ??
    - ??

4) Snorlax
    - Surf
    - Amnesia
    - Psychic
    - Fire Blast

Is there anything I'm really missing and won't be able to deal with?

Thanks for all the input so far guys.

- Ga.

Back