• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Idea for a Supporter perk

Project.

Tarot reading;
Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Nov 5, 2010
    I can't say this is a bad idea.

People will give money to a cause they want to help. Incentives will only draw in the people that are skeptical. Yes, there are people that will donate just because they like the community.

But people like me, I would donate 30 dollars just for it to have it say that I'm a supporter.

And I agree. 100 dollars for a line of text is not too much to ask.

And no matter the difficulty, I would edit some HTML for 100 dollars even if it takes longer then an hour. (assuming I know HTML)

To make a compromise, perhaps there could be a drawing for a certain group of members that occurs a few times a month that will allow people to choose the name of their colour.

This is my opinion. Not my facts.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    I would donate over 95$ for my love to the Community, and, if I'm under 100, then the rest just for the perk. It's a good idea, though, but only for Tier 6 supporters. They helped out the PokeCommunity with a heavy donation of 100$, what if they had to have the Tier 6 banner for 2-3 months and then they'd get the perk. Most people wouldn't bother donating 100$ since they hate waiting, and people would be happy.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I mean, if this is regulated to a once-per-month thing, couldn't T5 supporters be included as well?

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    I mean, if this is regulated to a once-per-month thing, couldn't T5 supporters be included as well?

Really there would be no point, it would become less of a luxury. There's many, many, Tier 5 supporters and well, I think that there should be a line drawn and T6. Staff don't have many perks to differentiate themselves from supporters as it is, so I think your best policy would be to appeal for Tier 6 to have admin set usertitles, anything beyond that would be pushing a boundary in which is truly not going to budge.

Project.

Tarot reading;
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Nov 5, 2010
    It is an exclusive, therefore only should be meant for exclusive people. So I'd say T6 or None.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018

Really there would be no point, it would become less of a luxury. There's many, many, Tier 5 supporters and well, I think that there should be a line drawn and T6. Staff don't have many perks to differentiate themselves from supporters as it is, so I think your best policy would be to appeal for Tier 6 to have admin set usertitles, anything beyond that would be pushing a boundary in which is truly not going to budge.

I see.

Well, since there isn't much of a difference between T5 and T6 perks, perhaps it would give T5 supporters an incentive to upgrade.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Oh, come on. It's just color >__> You already have a bluer username than the normal members. What else do you want? In fact, T4+ have their usernames looking even bluer than the lower tiers because of some shadow thing.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Kay, gunna state why I'm against this idea. However, if it does go ahead, that's good for the tier 6's and I hope they enjoy their coloured usertitles. And on the other hand, $100 does go a fair way, but yeah, idk, now after typing this up I'm half-half, but this is the reasons I have against it.

I remember back when I was only just a supporter and when Nick first made me a supporter, all I was happy about was the blue username and profile images. Not long after, I started to enjoy the VIP forum, then as I got closer with the supporters, I did actually begin to think that we were better than the ones without italic blue usernames (shameful, I know), then all I wanted was more perks, just because we apparently deserved it, yet I didn't actually donate. At some point though, I did realise that wanting more perks wasn't necessary, because I thought back to the original supporters, who only had green usernames (unless there was a colour before that) and the title of being a Community Supporter. That's all they needed and they were happy with that. Then when I became a supporter, it was all "I want moaaaar", which was the wrong mindset. At some point last year or something, I realised that I didn't need more, I should have just been happy with the blue username. I feel that if this does go ahead, it might eventually get to their heads thinking that because "hey I'm a supporter, I can do anything", which was my mindset, so... (I know it's not true for anyone, but even if it is just tier 6's, more people will eventually join that usergroup).

Besides, what about those who always wanted a coloured usertitle but thought "I have a goal in mind, to become staff, to help the community and then finally get the coloured usertitle" and now it can just be achieved by paying money. I know this is sorta like an "earn what you get" type of mindset or something, but... it's just how I see it. And I know you got it through being PC President, but that was a popularity contest, this is just paying money. Plus, as the others said, people should donate for the good of the community, not for the perks, but that can't be helped.

I know this is based purely on how I was as a supporter, but I don't want anyone else to end up like that and that's just my view, so yeah. Plus it all probably made no sense at all but just my opinion, don't kill me :x This isn't being selfish on my part either, because if we didn't have coloured usertitles as an option it wouldn't matter that much to me, but that's how I see it.

...now I feel bad, sorry if I offended anyone by this. D:

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • ...I actually share the same sentiments as Nica does on this matter. If the staff has so fiercely defended the right to the colored usertitles this far, then why are we even considering giving in now, even if only to people who ponied up a lot of cash. Does it not cheapen the perk itself?

Now I was one of the Original Community Supporters. I was quite happy with the colored username alone. Any and all pushing I've done for additional supporter perks has always been with the intent to entice more people to donate to benefit the community, but even I feel that there's a line. The staff needs something they can call their own. Certainly there are far more interesting perks we can offer our few T6 members that are worth the amount they donated besides colored usertitles. All we need to do is ask them what else they'd like.

The Red Chain

I am against this idea for one simple reason :

You're supposed to donate out of the kindness of your heart, not for perks.

That is what a donation is right? Those perks are given to you because the leaders here on PC want to return your kindness with little bonuses. You could donate all the money to PC in the world and not get anything in return if it weren't for that. Stop pushing for more than you already have, especially at Tier 6, it's getting ridiculous.

I'm sorry if I came off a little rude.. ]:

Years

• Besides, what about those who always wanted a coloured usertitle but thought "I have a goal in mind, to become staff, to help the community and then finally get the coloured usertitle" and now it can just be achieved by paying money. I know this is sorta like an "earn what you get" type of mindset or something, but... it's just how I see it. And I know you got it through being PC President, but that was a popularity contest, this is just paying money. Plus, as the others said, people should donate for the good of the community, not for the perks, but that can't be helped.
    As much as I agree that it takes away from the uniqueness, but I hardly think that turning people off wanting to become staff should be a concern. People aren't supposed to chase a staff position. They fit the bill and they get it. If they have to behave differently to get it, then maybe they aren't worth it.

Another concern that I have is that people are pushing to have these benefits on Tier 6, when they aren't part of it. Why is this an issue? Because they are just trying to justify spending that amount before they do. Guys, I appreciate that it's not the way it is and that I originally acted the same way, but the fact is, you donate according to what you can/want to. Although the perks have done the forum a service as far as revenue goes, they've distorted the way people think.

Last edited:

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
    Years
  • Well well well, it seems as if alot of people have donated for the perk, eh? OK, considering the custom usertitles on Tier 6 users would be a great and wonderful idea. I'm sure this would incourage more people to donate, right? Indeed it will and PC will get more money out of it. To make me think... if the idea was accepted... I'm pretty sure I would end up donating probably about $120 AUD. I'm not even a supporter at all, and I'm fine with the possition I am at right now.

I'm just wondering myself... exactly what Nica said earlier...
    At some point last year or something, I realised that I didn't need more, I should have just been happy with the blue username. I feel that if this does go ahead, it might eventually get to their heads thinking that because "hey I'm a supporter, I can do anything", which was my mindset, so... (I know it's not true for anyone, but even if it is just tier 6's, more people will eventually join that usergroup).

And then it made me think... "even if we do get custom usertitles for Tier 6, it'll make some people get greedy and consider wanting the Tier 6 possition just for the perks". Then more people will donate $100 and badly want to get the possition, then it won't be long before the Admins get flooded with several PMs requesting for usertitle changes. Then oh dear, it will totally make the Admins very fed up and tired of having to go though several requests to changing usertitles.

And I doubt there is a plugin for changing it on the User CP either. But remember what happened when the username changes were around? PC crashed from the several name changes which required the change in the database... Steve had to go though the trouble of fixing the database. And it probably would be the same for the custom usertitles as well. Giving the fact that it was an excellent idea, and so brillient... but the Admins are really strict with the usertitle changes. Even if it was for Tier 6 having it... I'm sure it would've been great... but then over months... it changes into a huge number of people donating $100.

And to be honest... I would've agreed with this idea as well, but it is the Admins' decission after all, and I'm sure they do it for a good reason.

And besides... donating to PC... is about helping PokéCommunity with the server costs and all that, no one should be spoiled and get everything they want... because in life... we can't get everything we want. When we donate something, we can't expect something in return. Like other people have said it before I did. I've gone though a lot of experience with reality... and caring is a really big thing to do.

I care about everyone... no matter who they are or what they are.

And Tier 6 is just basically a sign in which you've helped PokéCommunity with such a lot of money, and that is the reward... for being in the highest Tier ever. Just like beating a staff ghost in a Mario Kart: Double Dash!! game... you won't get anything for beating a staff ghost.

But it is everyone's decission though... the Admins will decide whenever to close this thread or accept the idea.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I see where the "You're supposed to donate out of the kindness of your heart..." people are coming from, but the more money PC can earn, the better off it is, and unfortunately, there are people out there who would donate money due to a perk they would receive that would have otherwise not donated. I respect people who donate out of pure kindness and generosity, but attracting more supporters is just good business.

Platinum Lucario

Years
  • I see where the "You're supposed to donate out of the kindness of your heart..." people are coming from, but the more money PC can earn, the better off it is, and unfortunately, there are people out there who would donate money due to a perk they would receive that would have otherwise not donated. I respect people who donate out of pure kindness and generosity, but attracting more supporters is just good business.

Yeah, I just wonder what happens if PokéCommunity had about 100 million dollars or something? Then I wonder what PokéCommunity would do with all that money? I would like to see what happens with it all.

But like I said... custom usertitles are a great idea for Tier 6... but I'm not really sure if the Admins would accept the idea, even if it was just for Tier 6. I mean PokéCommunity would totally make a great profit out of it.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • ...Except there is just one flaw with your reasoning. PC is not a business, simply because it cannot legally become one. The most we can do is earn just enough to pay our bills, if we earn too much more than that, we're a so called 'threat' to the companies who's products we're promoting and discussing. By keeping our income low enough, we're not attracting unwanted legal attention. And that's just one of the many concerns we have.

Personally I'd be afraid of PC becoming one of those sites where you have to pay for every little useful feature on a monthly basis, which really is annoying. I can understand having limitations and restrictions on normal member abilities, and I can understand giving our donators a little bit more, but when it comes down to plain old brass tacks, PC doesn't need that kind of reputation or atmosphere.

Only because of the current rarity of T6s is this being seriously considered, and once we actually make it available to them, more people will want that ability, and will pay their way up to T6, and end up swamping the admins with requests. (Something they seriously wanted to avoid in the first place am I not correct?)

Now if somehow it were possible to allow such changes to be made to your own usertitle via the UserCP, then it'd be practical. (and don't tell me it's impossible, it just hasn't been wanted bad enough for someone to have already coded such a plugin that they're willing to share.)

Platinum Lucario

Years
  • ...Except there is just one flaw with your reasoning. PC is not a business, simply because it cannot legally become one. The most we can do is earn just enough to pay our bills, if we earn too much more than that, we're a so called 'threat' to the companies who's products we're promoting and discussing. By keeping our income low enough, we're not attracting unwanted legal attention. And that's just one of the many concerns we have.

Personally I'd be afraid of PC becoming one of those sites where you have to pay for every little useful feature on a monthly basis, which really is annoying. I can understand having limitations and restrictions on normal member abilities, and I can understand giving our donators a little bit more, but when it comes down to plain old brass tacks, PC doesn't need that kind of reputation or atmosphere.

Only because of the current rarity of T6s is this being seriously considered, and once we actually make it available to them, more people will want that ability, and will pay their way up to T6, and end up swamping the admins with requests. (Something they seriously wanted to avoid in the first place am I not correct?)

Now if somehow it were possible to allow such changes to be made to your own usertitle via the UserCP, then it'd be practical. (and don't tell me it's impossible, it just hasn't been wanted bad enough for someone to have already coded such a plugin that they're willing to share.)

Everything you said... is absolutely true.
    And just like what me and Nica said earlier about how T6 would start off with little at first... but then it will gradually become bigger. Then again... I really hope a plugin does get created for using BB codes in your usertitle for Tier 6, but then again... PC has the problem of getting too much money, then oh dear... the site getting shut down by a Third Party. I would really hate to PC be forced to be shut down, so if I had a choice between PC having custom usertitles for Tier 6, or just have the money for the server costs... I would choose just having the money for the server costs.
    And as I said earlier... no one in this world should be greedy. :sleeping:

Zet

Years
  • Yeah, I just wonder what happens if PokéCommunity had about 100 million dollars or something? Then I wonder what PokéCommunity would do with all that money? I would like to see what happens with it all.

But like I said... custom usertitles are a great idea for Tier 6... but I'm not really sure if the Admins would accept the idea, even if it was just for Tier 6. I mean PokéCommunity would totally make a great profit out of it.

If PC had 100 million dollars, it would be on a dedicated server :P

I'm not sure why this thread is still open, from what I can see is just the same thing being posted every few posts, but worded differently.

Back