• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

finally my competitive battle team is created!! critics welcome

Years
  • ok so since Y I've been waning an actual team that can enter online battle and well, actually last a round lol.. learned the hard way basic pokemon aren't meant for competitive battle and had some help learning the breeding tricks and natures. went back into the battle only to still get knocked back down. went back to the drawing boards with my only pokemon i was working on and realized EV stats and IVs. finally it started to show some improvement and over the summer I've been training and breeding a team so without further adieu heres where I'm at now

starting off is my
    Politoed lvl 100
    Nature: calm / Ability: Drizzle
    Attacks:
    Ice beam
    Protect
    Scald
    Earthquake

EV trained in (Defense, HP, and left over S. Defense)

Chandelure lvl 64
    Nature Modest / ability flame body
    attacks:
    Fire blast
    shadow ball
    energy ball
    will-o-wisp

EV trained in (S. Attack, Speed, and left over HP)

Jolteon lvl 52
    Nature: Timid / ability: Quick feet
    Attacks:
    volt switch
    signal beam
    shadow ball
    thunder wave[/I

Gengar lvl 81
    Nature Timid /Ability: Levitate (shadow tag when mega evolved)
    Attacks:
    shadow ball
    destiny bond
    psychic
    dazzling gleam

EV trained in (S. attack, Speed, and left over HP)

Zoroark lvl 100 (Daddy's favorite put most energy into training as it was my first lol)
    nature Timid / ability Illusion
    Attacks:
    Dark pulse
    Grass knot
    Flame thrower
    U-turn

EV trained in (S. Attack, Speed, left over HP)

and lastly but by no means whats so ever
    Blissey lvl 71 (Item leftovers)
    Nature Bold / ability serene grace :)
    Attacks
    Toxic
    Flamethrower
    Soft-Boiled
    Grass Knot

EV trained in (HP, Defense, left over S. defense)

well now you've met my team hopefully you like them I'm open to critics just try to be somewhat kind lols i honestly really hold value in this team, might be crazy but its filled with a few of my all time favorite pokemon, and i put so much energy into training them all.
    thanks for taking time to check them out

oh P.S they all have 5-6 perfect IV's

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • It's better to have everyone in the same level, but if you're playing Battle Spot or on flat rules, everyone will have to level down to 50 if they're above that. While you don't necessarily have to use Mega Evolutions on this team, having one is recommended, and your team doesn't have one. If you're stuck on deciding on one (you can only Mega Evolve 1 Pokemon per battle), I can give you multiple suggestions.

What's the point of Politoed having a Calm nature when it has almost no EVs in its Special Defense? Earthquake also runs off of its lower Attack stat. Politoed is better off using special attacks, and more useful support options than Protect:
    -Scald
    -Toxic/Hypnosis
    -Encore
    -Rest
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 248 HP/164 SDef/92 Spe
    Item: Damp Rock
    Ability: Drizzle

However, if you don't have other Pokemon that can take advantage of the rain, what's the point of even having Politoed in the first place? If none of your other Pokemon benefit from the rain Politoed sets, you'll need to have another Water type alternatives. Examples are Azumarill and (Mega) Gyarados:

Azumarill:
    -Belly Drum
    -Aqua Jet
    -Play Rough
    -Knock Off
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 92 HP/252 Atk/164 Spe
    Item: Sitrus Berry
    Ability: Huge Power

or
    -Waterfall
    -Aqua Jet
    -Play Rough
    -Knock Off/Superpower
    EVs: 172 HP/252 Atk/84 Spe
    Item: Choice Band
    Ability: Huge Power

Gyarados:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Waterfall/Earthquake
    -Crunch
    -Ice Fang/Substitute/Earthquake
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Gyaradosite
    Ability: Intimidate

or
    -Substitute
    -Dragon Dance
    -Waterfall
    -Bounce
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    EVs: 88 HP/220 Atk/4 Def/196 Spe
    Item: Leftovers

I don't really know about Chandelure, tbh. While its Special Attack is very high, its average Speed and susceptibility to Stealth Rock, Knock Off and Pursuit makes it fall rather easily. Better Fire and Ghost Pokemon to turn to are Heatran, Talonflame, Charizard, Gengar, Mega Sableye, and even Infernape:

Heatran:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Lava Plume
    -Toxic
    -Taunt/Protect/Roar
    EVs: 248 HP/192 SDef/68 Spe

or
    -Magma Storm
    -Earth Power
    -Taunt
    -Toxic/Solar Beam
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Leftovers/Air Balloon/Power Herb

or
    -Fire Blast/Magma Storm
    -Flash Cannon/Stone Edge/Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Earth Power
    -Stealth Rock
    Item: Air Balloon

or
    -Fire Blast/Overheat
    -Flash Cannon
    -Earth Power/Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Stone Edge/Ancient Power
    EVs: 28 HP/252 SAtk/228 Spe
    Item: Choice Scarf

Talonflame:
    -Swords Dance
    -Flare Blitz
    -Brave Bird/Acrobatics
    -Roost
    Nature: Jolly
    Item: Sharp Beak/Sky Plate/none
    Ability: Gale Wings

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Brave Bird/Acrobatics
    -Will-o-Wisp/Taunt
    -Roost
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spe
    Item: Leftovers/none

or
    -Brave Bird/Acrobatics
    -Bulk Up/Taunt
    -Will-o-Wisp/Taunt
    -Roost
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 248 HP/252 SDef/8 Spe
    Item: Leftovers/none

or
    -Flare Blitz
    -Brave Bird
    -U-turn
    -Steel Wing/Tailwind
    Nature: Jolly
    Item: Choice Band

Charizard:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Flare Blitz
    -Dragon Claw
    -Roost/Earthquake
    Item: Charizardite X
    Ability: Blaze

or
    -Flare Blitz
    -Dragon Claw/Earthquake/Dragon Tail
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Roost
    EVs: 248 HP/24 Atk/180 SDef/56 Spe

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Flare Blitz
    -Outrage
    -Tailwind/Roost
    EVs: 40 HP/252 Atk/216 Spe

Gengar:
    -Hex
    -Taunt
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Sludge Wave/Substitute
    EVs: 8 HP/248 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Black Sludge

or
    -Shadow Ball
    -Sludge Wave/Sludge Bomb
    -Focus Blast
    -Taunt/Destiny Bond
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash

Mega Sableye:
    -Calm Mind
    -Dark Pulse/Shadow Ball
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Recover
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Item: Sablenite
    Ability: Prankster

Infernape:
    -Close Combat/Low Kick
    -Taunt/Stealth Rock
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Slack Off
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 252 HP/212 Def/44 Spe

or
    -Fire Blast/Flare Blitz
    -Close Combat
    -Gunk Shot
    -Grass Knot/Hidden Power (Ice)/Thunder Punch/Stone Edge
    Nature: Hasty/Naive
    EVs: 100 Atk/156 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb

Jolteon is outclassed by Raikou and Mega Manectric, as its move pool is rather shallow compared to them. The former is naturally more bulkier, while the latter has Intimidate as a form of utility to weaken physical attackers and somewhat compensate for its frailty:

Raikou:
    -Thunderbolt
    -Volt Switch
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Shadow Ball/Extrasensory
    Item: Choice Specs/Assault Vest

or
    -Calm Mind
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Extrasensory/Substitute
    Item: Life Orb/Leftovers

Manectric:
    -Thunderbolt
    -Volt Switch
    -Overheat
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    Item: Manectite
    Ability: Lightning Rod

Zoroark struggles with Fairies big-time, and this is why it's generally not recommended for serious use. Bisharp's Dark/Steel typing means it has an easier time against them. It also has the Defiant ability to discourage opponents from using Defog to get rid of any entry hazards you set on their side of the field. Defog also lowers evasion, which triggers Defiant; Defiant increases the user's Attack by 2 stages when any of its stats are lowered. Zoroark's niche over Bisharp is that it can use its Illusion ability to disguise itself as another teammate to discourage Pokemon that Zoroark is weak to from coming in, preferably one that takes neutral damage from Stealth Rock and isn't weak to Bug, Fighting and Fairy. You'll have to find a good teammate to disguise Zoroark as; otherwise you're better off with Bisharp:

Bisharp:
    -Sucker Punch
    -Knock Off
    -Iron Head
    -Swords Dance/Pursuit
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe (Swords Dance) or 252 Atk/52 SDef/204 Spe (Pursuit)
    Item: Life Orb/Black Glasses/Dread Plate/Lum Berry
    Ability: Defiant

or
    -Sucker Punch
    -Iron Head
    -Knock Off
    -Pursuit
    EVs: 192 HP/220 Atk/96 Spe
    Item: Assault Vest
    Ability: Defiant

The only offensive moves Blissey should consider are Seismic Toss, for consistent damage, or Flamethrower, to hit non-Heatran/Empoleon Steel Pokemon hard. Serene Grace is also useless on it, as even with the Serene Grace boost, it's unlikely that Flamethrower will burn something; Scald and Lava Plume are more consistent with this. Natural Cure is the superior ability, as it lets Blissey shrug off burn, paralysis, poison, sleep and freeze by switching out of battle:
    -Soft-Boiled
    -Heal Bell/Flamethrower
    -Seismic Toss
    -Toxic/Thunder Wave
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Def/252 SDef
    Ability: Natural Cure

However, there are better alternatives to Blissey in Clefable and Mega Altaria, IMO, as both can check/counter a wider variety of threats than just special attackers, as both are Fairy Pokemon. Fairy is one of the best defensive (and offensive) typings ever made, IMO:

Clefable:
    -Calm Mind/Stealth Rock
    -Moonblast
    -Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Thunder Wave
    -Soft-Boiled/Moonlight
    EVs: 252 HP/172 Def/84 SDef
    Ability: Magic Guard

or
    -Wish
    -Protect
    -Moonblast
    -Heal Bell/Aromatherapy/Flamethrower
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef
    Ability: Unaware

or
    -Calm Mind
    -Moonblast
    -Moonlight/Wish
    -Heal Bell/Protect/Flamethrower
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef
    Ability: Unaware

Altaria:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Return
    -Earthquake
    -Fire Blast/Roost
    Item: Altarianite

or
    -Hyper Voice
    -Fire Blast
    -Earthquake/Heal Bell
    -Roost
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 248 HP/168 SAtk/92 Spe

or
    -Dragon Dance
    -Return
    -Earthquake/Heal Bell/Substitute
    -Roost
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 248 HP/136 Def/96 SDef/28 Spe

or
    -Return/Hyper Voice
    -Earthquake/Flamethrower
    -Heal Bell
    -Roost
    Nature: Impish/Bold/Relaxed
    EVs: 248 HP/104 SDef/156 Spe

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • If you're playing by Smogon rules, Gengarite is banned to Ubers, as Mega Gengar's Shadow Tag ability made it extremely difficult to play around by trapping and eliminating whatever it pleased. Regular Gengar is perfectly viable as well.

Gengar can already hit Dragons decently with its STABs, making Dazzling Gleam a not really useful option. Without Natural Cure Blissey is susceptible to status and remember that Heal Bell has only 8 PP, which means it shouldn't be recklessly used to cure Blissey of its status problems. Natural Cure is still preferred so that Blissey can heal its status conditions without wasting Heal Bell PP.

Last edited:
    Years
  • well that sucks they created a mega only to have it not useable lol
    ill switch out dazzling gleam then toxic or sludge wave i guess

on blissey it kills me to have to try and get the better ability she takes a lot of work won't i need the stone to evolve the baby version of chansey into chansey? also the ability stays constant correct? so if i do breed it correctly as i evolve her the natural cure will stay consistent?

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • Hey buddy, on cart teams are not subject to Smogon rules so you can disregard the piece about Gengarite being banned. The only things that are banned on-cart are event legends (Mew, Celebi, etc.), title legends, and Pokemon caught or bred in previous generations to X/Y/ORAS.

Are you using this team for Battle Spot or Link Battles in 6v6? Do you play Singles or Doubles?

Also, your team's pretty vulnerable to Fighting types, which often carry Knock Off or Sucker Punch for coverage against Ghost types. I'd recommend swapping one of your Ghosts out for a Flying or Fairy type - Azumarill, Talonflame, Staraptor, and Granbull would all be solid choices.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Hey buddy, on cart teams are not subject to Smogon rules so you can disregard the piece about Gengarite being banned. The only things that are banned on-cart are event legends (Mew, Celebi, etc.), title legends, and Pokemon caught or bred in previous generations to X/Y/ORAS.

Are you using this team for Battle Spot or Link Battles in 6v6? Do you play Singles or Doubles?

Also, your team's pretty vulnerable to Fighting types, which often carry Knock Off or Sucker Punch for coverage against Ghost types. I'd recommend swapping one of your Ghosts out for a Flying or Fairy type - Azumarill, Talonflame, Staraptor, and Granbull would all be solid choices.
    There are people who actually prefer to play on Smogon rules via cartridge; sometimes it's best to follow them if you come across someone who plays by those rules.

I doubt that Granbull is that useful because whatever it can do, Mega Altaria and Azumarill can do better. Staraptor, I'm kind of iffy on because while it does well against Fighting Pokemon, it can't switch into their coverage moves safely, making it kind of a risk, but here's a set you can try out if you're interested:
    -Double-Edge
    -Brave Bird
    -U-turn
    -Close Combat/Final Gambit/Quick Attack
    Item: Choice Scarf/Choice Band
    Ability: Reckless

Chansey's lowest form is Happiny. However, not all Blissey/Chansey eggs will hatch into Happiny; unless one of the parents is holding a Luck Incense, the egg will always hatch into Chansey. The abilities of the Happiny line are Serene Grace and Natural Cure. How abilities in evolving work under normal circumstances is that if a Pokemon with one of those abilities evolves, it keeps that ability. So a Natural Cure Chansey will evolve into a Natural Cure Blissey; the same applies to Natural Cure Happiny into Natural Cure Chansey.

However, there are times when the ability changes upon evolution. For example, Numel's abilities are Oblivious and Simple. Numel with Oblivious evolve into Camerupt with Magma Armor, while Numel with Simple evolve into Camerupt with Solid Rock. Another example is that when one of an evolved Pokemon's abilities differs from its pre-eovlved form's, but the other is shared. For example, while both Snubbull and Granbull share the Quick Feet ability, Snubbull with the Run Away ability will evolve into Granbull with Intimidate.

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • There are people who actually prefer to play on Smogon rules via cartridge; sometimes it's best to follow them if you come across someone who plays by those rules.

I doubt that Granbull is that useful because whatever it can do, Mega Altaria and Azumarill can do better. Staraptor, I'm kind of iffy on because while it does well against Fighting Pokemon, it can't switch into their coverage moves safely, making it kind of a risk, but here's a set you can try out if you're interested:
    -Double-Edge
    -Brave Bird
    -U-turn
    -Close Combat/Final Gambit/Quick Attack
    Item: Choice Scarf/Choice Band
    Ability: Reckless

Good Staraptor Set - Intimidate is also an option. And I listed Granbull because not only does it get access to Intimidate, but it doubles as a half support Pokemon, which is p nice. This team could definitely stand for some extra fat. Mega Altaria is also a good choice, because homeboy still lacks a mega.

Granbull @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Adamant Nature
    - Play Rough
    - Heal Bell
    - Earthquake
    - Thunder Wave

Years
  • So for blissey I keep breeding until I get the correct ability? Any ways to help the odds?

As for battle I've been using the battle spot ratings battle and free battle
    I also use link battles or whatever it is when I chalange friends or other ppl from street pass ?

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • So for blissey I keep breeding until I get the correct ability? Any ways to help the odds?

As for battle I've been using the battle spot ratings battle and free battle
    I also use link battles or whatever it is when I chalange friends or other ppl from street pass ?

If the mother has the right ability, you'll have a higher chance of passing that ability down to the offspring.

Smogon rules on cartridge are more so imposed as a gentleman's agreement. You don't have to use them if you don't want to, and unlike in Pokemon Showdown, there's no way to enforce them on cartridge battles.

It's the same kinda deal if your friends don't want to use legends.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Good Staraptor Set - Intimidate is also an option. And I listed Granbull because not only does it get access to Intimidate, but it doubles as a half support Pokemon, which is p nice. This team could definitely stand for some extra fat. Mega Altaria is also a good choice, because homeboy still lacks a mega.

Granbull @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Adamant Nature
    - Play Rough
    - Heal Bell
    - Earthquake
    - Thunder Wave
    Intimidate isn't really an option on Staraptor because the extra power to Double-Edge and Brave Bird will be sorely missed. Reckless gives Staraptor its niche in OU. Other than Intimidate, Granbull is still outclassed by the Fairies I mentioned. Granbull also lacks reliable recovery, giving it yet another reason it shouldn't be considered.

Years
  • I'm still confused about battles lol

But is there a chance of offspring getting without parents having it? As I haven't Bree any that have it

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • I'm still confused about battles lol

But is there a chance of offspring getting without parents having it? As I haven't Bree any that have it

Because the Chansey line is 100% female, you'll be going against the odds to get a Happiny with Natural Cure.

Patience is the key to any decent breeding project ;)

Neo_Angelo

Used Discharge!
    Years
  • ok so since Y I've been waning an actual team that can enter online battle and well, actually last a round lol.. learned the hard way basic pokemon aren't meant for competitive battle and had some help learning the breeding tricks and natures. went back into the battle only to still get knocked back down. went back to the drawing boards with my only pokemon i was working on and realized EV stats and IVs. finally it started to show some improvement and over the summer I've been training and breeding a team so without further adieu heres where I'm at now

starting off is my
    Politoed lvl 100
    Nature: calm / Ability: Drizzle
    Attacks:
    Ice beam
    Protect
    Scald
    Earthquake

EV trained in (Defense, HP, and left over S. Defense)

Chandelure lvl 64
    Nature Modest / ability flame body
    attacks:
    Fire blast
    shadow ball
    energy ball
    will-o-wisp

Jolteon lvl 52
    Nature: Timid / ability: Quick feet
    Attacks:
    volt switch
    signal beam
    shadow ball
    thunder wave[/I

Gengar lvl 81
    Nature Timid /Ability: Levitate (shadow tag when mega evolved)
    Attacks:
    shadow ball
    destiny bond
    psychic
    dazzling gleam

EV trained in (S. attack, Speed, and left over HP)

Zoroark lvl 100 (Daddy's favorite put most energy into training as it was my first lol)
    nature Timid / ability Illusion
    Attacks:
    Dark pulse
    Grass knot
    Flame thrower
    U-turn

EV trained in (S. Attack, Speed, left over HP)

and lastly but by no means whats so ever
    Blissey lvl 71 (Item leftovers)
    Nature Bold / ability serene grace :)
    Attacks
    Toxic
    Flamethrower
    Soft-Boiled
    Grass Knot

EV trained in (HP, Defense, left over S. defense)

well now you've met my team hopefully you like them I'm open to critics just try to be somewhat kind lols i honestly really hold value in this team, might be crazy but its filled with a few of my all time favorite pokemon, and i put so much energy into training them all.
    thanks for taking time to check them out

oh P.S they all have 5-6 perfect IV's

I would firstly tell us if you play to play Smogon rules or are just battling on ORAS or X/Y on a 3DS, PlatinumDude is a very experienced player and his recommendations are some you should consider if you wish to play Smogon rules (also again even if you don't want to play smogon you've got some additional options to strengthen your team.

However, since i'm a big fan of letting folk battle how they choose i will give you some advice on better options for your team without the need for swapping any (that way you can use all your favorites).

OK lets start by breaking your team down through typing first:

Water
    Fire/Ghost
    Poison/Ghost
    Electric
    Dark
    Normal

You've covered a wide variety of types here which can be useful, however lets look at your most common weakness

Fighting - 2 pokemon weak to it

you biggest threat to Blissey is a fighting pokemon, Blissey has god aweful defense and will be destroyed by a fighting pokemon, Zoroark may be able to take a hit or two before getting killed.

Lets look at your EV's next along side your Natures and moves:

Politoed
    - Calm increases Spec Def and lowers attack, you've put EV's into defense and HP, Now Politoed has a nice Special defense already so isn't going to be too troubled by many Special attackers. I'd recommend perhaps tying to get a Timid Politoed to take advantage of its Ok speed stat and put EV's into Speed and Special attack.

Politoed is a bit of an attack minded pokemon and judging from your moveset will mostly be attack based, so to cover the drop in defenses from giving it timid over calm, i'd recomend either giving Politoed an Assault vest OR if your solely about attack then perhaps give him either Sea incense, Wise specs, Choice Specs or Choice scarf (if you opt for sea incense i'd recommend having two water based moves and two other moves, this will take advantage of the Type boost, Drizzle boost and the 20% boost from sea incense, making Politoed pretty beastly). Wise specs will boost all of your special attacks by 1.1 without any penalty, while perhaps not as powerful as the other items, there's no downside and ALL attacks will be boosted which can help.

As for moves, you may wish to consider replacing Earthquake for Mud Shot (while not as powerful as earthquake, will make better use of politoeds stats and will also inflict a speed drop on your opponent which is useful against speedy electric pokemon). Scald is a great move to have as burning your opponent will half their attack meaning physical attackers will do much less damage. Ice beam is a good coverage move for Dragon, ground and Grass pokemon (one of which you are weak too), I'd perhaps replace Protect with either Hydro Pump or Focus Blast (Fighting moves are great coverage moves as there are MANY types weak to fighting).

So For moves: Scald, Ice beam, Hydro Pump (or Focus Blast) and Mud shot

As mentioned previously, i would recommend adding in a pokemon who could also benefit from drizzle (however i'm only going to give you better choices for each pokemon you've chosen, i'm not going to suggest replacements as i'm going to try and improve the team you've chosen)

Ok next up we have:

Chandelure: Modest is not a bad choice but again i'd recommend perhaps Timid nature as Chandelure has very high Special Attack anyway, we want to put that to good use by attacking first (or have a better chance of attacking first). The EV's are perfect, thats what i'd do!

now lets look at your movest:

Energy ball : great choice as this covers Ground, Rock and Water types weaknesses so you will be able to surprise them.
    Shadow Ball: Combats your Ghost weakness and gets a damage boost as Chandelure is Ghost type
    Fire Blast: I'd personally go with Flamethrower as although its less damage, its 100% accurate so there's no downside, also Flamethrower has lots more PP than Frie blast so over longer battles you'll be able to do more damage (plus still has 10% chance to burn just like Fire blast).
    Will-o-wisp: I think this is a bit of a waste of a move slot as your chanderule runs Flame Body (33% chance to burn on contact) since the only pokemon going to hit you are physical attackers (as your weaker to them as your defense is lower than your special) this ability in itself kinda balances that out. I'd recommend using a recovery type move like Pain Split instead, this will mean if you use Life orb to boost damage, you will be able to recover some lost HP if you beat a pokemon or a pokemon with full HP swaps in (not only will it cause damage to them, but heal you too).

So move wise i'd go: Pain Split - Flamethrower - Shadow Ball - Energy Ball

Item wise i'd perhaps be tempted to say Life orb or Leftovers (life orb would be good with pain split)

Next up:

Jolteon: Timid is best to have on Jolteon, giving it Quick feet can be beneficial but i personally would go Volt Absorb (Just because you can switch into an electric attack that would hit Politoed, you'd get a better boost from it) Evs are in right place.

Moves:
    Volt switch: I wouldn't change this
    Shadowball: useful coverage move
    Thunder wave: I wouldn't change this (you could replace this with Thunder if you plan on using Politoeds Drizzle)
    Signal beam: I'd perhaps swap this for Hyper Voice, Its more powerful and has better coverage

Moves: Hyper voice - Shadowball - Volt switch - Thunderwave/Thunder

I'd give Jolteon Leftovers for HP recovery if you plan on volt switching a lot.

Now...

Gengar: Again wouldn't change nature or EV's at all.

Moves:
    shadow ball - If your mega evolving then i'd replace with Hex
    destiny bond - Usefull for Mega Gengar as shadow tag eliminates switching out. however if your not mega evolving i'd replce with Hex
    psychic - I'd personally replace this with Toxic as you don't really need psychic for any coverage
    dazzling gleam - Useful coverage for Dark type pokemon and to take out annoying Fighting pokemon that your other pokemon are weak to.

Toxic is a good status move to stop walls and stallers plus you can use Gengars speed to toxic first move then Hex second move for incredible damage!

Moves: Hex - Destinybond/Shadowball - Toxic - Dazzling gleam

Item: either Gengarite or Leftovers

and now....

Zoroark: I wouldn't alter its EV's or Nature both are great for Zoro (I'd recomend putting Chandelure as your last pokemon so Zoro diguises as it this will stop your opponent bringing in a fighting pokmon as chandelure is immune to fighting whereas zoro is weak, the opponent will likely bring out a Dark, Rock or water which Zoro is resistant to Dark and is neutral to water and rock)

Moves:
    Dark pulse - Useful as chandelure can learn it too, so if diguised as chandelure, better for you as you'll get STAB damage (thus tricking your opponent more)
    Grass knot - Replace it with Knock off (so we can start removing items from opponents and gives you more power than Grass knot and GK isn't that useful on Zoro)
    Flame thrower - I'd perhaps swap this for Exosensory (as both Bug and Fighting are weak to Phychic)
    U-turn - useful if you want to keep hidden or if you want to disguise yourself later if you are rumbled while in battle. Could replace Ariel ace for Fighting/bug coverage

Moves: Dark Pulse - Knock off - Exosensory -U-Turn/Ariel ace

Item: probably better off going Either Dread plate or Leftovers

And Finally....

Blissey: Wouldn't change anything on Nature and EV's, i'd probably replace Serene grace with Natural Cure (as Blissey doesn't learn many moves with additional effects that would make use of serene grace)

Moves:
    Toxic - I'd keep this move (remember your Gengar has HEX, toxic as many pokemon as you can and if blissey dies use gengar to hex the opponent to death)
    Flamethrower - i'd replace with Seismic toss (this is set damage which blissey needs as its got a lame movepool for attacks in my opinion, plus you are always going to hit 50HP damage or whatever level you are when you battle. this sometimes works out better if you play higher leveled battles.)
    Soft-Boiled - Keep this for recovery, a must on Blissey
    Grass Knot - Replace this with Healing bell (this cures all your pokemon of any status conditions, use Blissey as your healer)

Moves: Soft boiled - Healing Bell - Toxic - Seismic toss

hope this helps, this way your team is powered up and you don't have to swap anyone out.

If you want to try out your team then feel free to PM me your friend code, add me and i'll happily battle you with different teams to test your team out. :)

Last edited:
    Years
  • no clue what smogen is

thank you for all the tips ill get started on editing their moves

breeding a chansey with good IV's and the Natural healer i feel is gonna be nearly impossible :(

as for politoed well it was just a wondertrade chance

chadelure not so easy to switch natures there either due to needing a dusk stone and i had to send it from AS to Y to evolve it and then back to AS

so for a few switching requires a lot of work and luck not sure id be able to do, I've reached out to a friend if he has anything i could use to breed with chansey in order to get the desired ability as i haven't received anything but serene grace and her hatch time is a buzzkill lol

i thought getting Jolteons hidden ability was a good thing..

seriously though i am thankful for al the help again i don't know what smogen is

i guess this just proves i don't know much about training pokemon

Neo_Angelo

Used Discharge!
    Years
  • no clue what smogen is

thank you for all the tips ill get started on editing their moves

breeding a chansey with good IV's and the Natural healer i feel is gonna be nearly impossible :(

as for politoed well it was just a wondertrade chance

chadelure not so easy to switch natures there either due to needing a dusk stone and i had to send it from AS to Y to evolve it and then back to AS

so for a few switching requires a lot of work and luck not sure id be able to do, I've reached out to a friend if he has anything i could use to breed with chansey in order to get the desired ability as i haven't received anything but serene grace and her hatch time is a buzzkill lol

i thought getting Jolteons hidden ability was a good thing..

seriously though i am thankful for al the help again i don't know what smogen is

i guess this just proves i don't know much about training pokemon

In ORAS if you go to the battle Maison (Battle frontier) you can fight NPC's to gain BP, once you have 200BP you can buy an ability capsule, this changes the pokemons ability for you, so you don't need to breed for another one (only the natures i suggested). you just have to put a bit of time battling to get to 200BP each time (will take a long time, might even be quicker to trade/breed right abilities). I can perhaps help you out if i can.

Or check out the trade shops, i highly recommend my friends Phantom and Cakesu's shop, they breed pokemon for free to help people out, you can perhaps ask them to breed you pokemon with the natures and abilities i suggested if you wish.

Smogen is a type of way to battle, Smogen rules are mainly for a program called Pokemon Showdown. They don't really apply to battling on your DS through Wifi or whatever unless you want to limit yourself to those rules (just for fun). If you want to learn more about Smogon (although i wouldn't worry too much about it) you can visit here:

http://www.smogon.com/

Add me for a few battles sometime if you like, i can give you feedback on how you do (please don't think i'm some expert as i'm not, i just like to help :P)

Years
  • ok ill start gaining BP points an try to buy the ability capsule i wanna do it myself for most part its just blissey isn the most easy to breed wish i hadn't wasted bp points on move jurors gonna take time lol.

I've looked into trade shops i have nothing of value that people want in return

how do i add you to battle?

Years
  • and OH ability capsule isn't a held item for breeding? omg thats awesome it means i can keep my blissey? only 199 BP's needed lol i know what ill be doing next couple days lol

Neo_Angelo

Used Discharge!
    Years
  • and OH ability capsule isn't a held item for breeding? omg thats awesome it means i can keep my blissey? only 199 BP's needed lol i know what ill be doing next couple days lol

Yeah its a cool item to change an ability if you need to, however i don't think it lets you change to a hidden ability. (it'll let you chose the main two abillities, not sure if you can use it on pokemon with just a single ability)

To add me to a battle, you need to add my friend code to your 3DS friends list, that way i become registered as a friend and you can see me online in PSS on ORAS X and Y.

My friend code is in my postbit profile. I've already registered you as a friend on my 3DS, once you've added me, invite me to a battle if you see me online :).

Just to give you a bit of a heads up, Cakesu and Phantoms shop doesn't require you to have any decent pokemon, they breed pokemon just to help out the community, you can give them what you want in return for a pokemon of your chosing from their extensive list. Plus if i can help in any way i can perhaps look at breeding you some mon's you need. :D

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I would firstly tell us if you play to play Smogon rules or are just battling on ORAS or X/Y on a 3DS, PlatinumDude is a very experienced player and his recommendations are some you should consider if you wish to play Smogon rules (also again even if you don't want to play smogon you've got some additional options to strengthen your team.

However, since i'm a big fan of letting folk battle how they choose i will give you some advice on better options for your team without the need for swapping any (that way you can use all your favorites).

OK lets start by breaking your team down through typing first:

Water
    Fire/Ghost
    Poison/Ghost
    Electric
    Dark
    Normal

You've covered a wide variety of types here which can be useful, however lets look at your most common weakness

Fighting - 2 pokemon weak to it

you biggest threat to Blissey is a fighting pokemon, Blissey has god aweful defense and will be destroyed by a fighting pokemon, Zoroark may be able to take a hit or two before getting killed.

Lets look at your EV's next along side your Natures and moves:

Politoed
    - Calm increases Spec Def and lowers attack, you've put EV's into defense and HP, Now Politoed has a nice Special defense already so isn't going to be too troubled by many Special attackers. I'd recommend perhaps tying to get a Timid Politoed to take advantage of its Ok speed stat and put EV's into Speed and Special attack.

Politoed is a bit of an attack minded pokemon and judging from your moveset will mostly be attack based, so to cover the drop in defenses from giving it timid over calm, i'd recomend either giving Politoed an Assault vest OR if your solely about attack then perhaps give him either Sea incense, Wise specs, Choice Specs or Choice scarf (if you opt for sea incense i'd recommend having two water based moves and two other moves, this will take advantage of the Type boost, Drizzle boost and the 20% boost from sea incense, making Politoed pretty beastly). Wise specs will boost all of your special attacks by 1.1 without any penalty, while perhaps not as powerful as the other items, there's no downside and ALL attacks will be boosted which can help.

As for moves, you may wish to consider replacing Earthquake for Mud Shot (while not as powerful as earthquake, will make better use of politoeds stats and will also inflict a speed drop on your opponent which is useful against speedy electric pokemon). Scald is a great move to have as burning your opponent will half their attack meaning physical attackers will do much less damage. Ice beam is a good coverage move for Dragon, ground and Grass pokemon (one of which you are weak too), I'd perhaps replace Protect with either Hydro Pump or Focus Blast (Fighting moves are great coverage moves as there are MANY types weak to fighting).

So For moves: Scald, Ice beam, Hydro Pump (or Focus Blast) and Mud shot

As mentioned previously, i would recommend adding in a pokemon who could also benefit from drizzle (however i'm only going to give you better choices for each pokemon you've chosen, i'm not going to suggest replacements as i'm going to try and improve the team you've chosen)

Ok next up we have:

Chandelure: Modest is not a bad choice but again i'd recommend perhaps Timid nature as Chandelure has very high Special Attack anyway, we want to put that to good use by attacking first (or have a better chance of attacking first). The EV's are perfect, thats what i'd do!

now lets look at your movest:

Energy ball : great choice as this covers Ground, Rock and Water types weaknesses so you will be able to surprise them.
    Shadow Ball: Combats your Ghost weakness and gets a damage boost as Chandelure is Ghost type
    Fire Blast: I'd personally go with Flamethrower as although its less damage, its 100% accurate so there's no downside, also Flamethrower has lots more PP than Frie blast so over longer battles you'll be able to do more damage (plus still has 10% chance to burn just like Fire blast).
    Will-o-wisp: I think this is a bit of a waste of a move slot as your chanderule runs Flame Body (33% chance to burn on contact) since the only pokemon going to hit you are physical attackers (as your weaker to them as your defense is lower than your special) this ability in itself kinda balances that out. I'd recommend using a recovery type move like Pain Split instead, this will mean if you use Life orb to boost damage, you will be able to recover some lost HP if you beat a pokemon or a pokemon with full HP swaps in (not only will it cause damage to them, but heal you too).

So move wise i'd go: Pain Split - Flamethrower - Shadow Ball - Energy Ball

Item wise i'd perhaps be tempted to say Life orb or Leftovers (life orb would be good with pain split)

Next up:

Jolteon: Timid is best to have on Jolteon, giving it Quick feet can be beneficial but i personally would go Volt Absorb (Just because you can switch into an electric attack that would hit Politoed, you'd get a better boost from it) Evs are in right place.

Moves:
    Volt switch: I wouldn't change this
    Shadowball: useful coverage move
    Thunder wave: I wouldn't change this (you could replace this with Thunder if you plan on using Politoeds Drizzle)
    Signal beam: I'd perhaps swap this for Hyper Voice, Its more powerful and has better coverage

Moves: Hyper voice - Shadowball - Volt switch - Thunderwave/Thunder

I'd give Jolteon Leftovers for HP recovery if you plan on volt switching a lot.

Now...

Gengar: Again wouldn't change nature or EV's at all.

Moves:
    shadow ball - If your mega evolving then i'd replace with Hex
    destiny bond - Usefull for Mega Gengar as shadow tag eliminates switching out. however if your not mega evolving i'd replce with Hex
    psychic - I'd personally replace this with Toxic as you don't really need psychic for any coverage
    dazzling gleam - Useful coverage for Dark type pokemon and to take out annoying Fighting pokemon that your other pokemon are weak to.

Toxic is a good status move to stop walls and stallers plus you can use Gengars speed to toxic first move then Hex second move for incredible damage!

Moves: Hex - Destinybond/Shadowball - Toxic - Dazzling gleam

Item: either Gengarite or Leftovers

and now....

Zoroark: I wouldn't alter its EV's or Nature both are great for Zoro (I'd recomend putting Chandelure as your last pokemon so Zoro diguises as it this will stop your opponent bringing in a fighting pokmon as chandelure is immune to fighting whereas zoro is weak, the opponent will likely bring out a Dark, Rock or water which Zoro is resistant to Dark and is neutral to water and rock)

Moves:
    Dark pulse - Useful as chandelure can learn it too, so if diguised as chandelure, better for you as you'll get STAB damage (thus tricking your opponent more)
    Grass knot - Replace it with Knock off (so we can start removing items from opponents and gives you more power than Grass knot and GK isn't that useful on Zoro)
    Flame thrower - I'd perhaps swap this for Exosensory (as both Bug and Fighting are weak to Phychic)
    U-turn - useful if you want to keep hidden or if you want to disguise yourself later if you are rumbled while in battle. Could replace Ariel ace for Fighting/bug coverage

Moves: Dark Pulse - Knock off - Exosensory -U-Turn/Ariel ace

Item: probably better off going Either Dread plate or Leftovers

And Finally....

Blissey: Wouldn't change anything on Nature and EV's, i'd probably replace Serene grace with Natural Cure (as Blissey doesn't learn many moves with additional effects that would make use of serene grace)

Moves:
    Toxic - I'd keep this move (remember your Gengar has HEX, toxic as many pokemon as you can and if blissey dies use gengar to hex the opponent to death)
    Flamethrower - i'd replace with Seismic toss (this is set damage which blissey needs as its got a lame movepool for attacks in my opinion, plus you are always going to hit 50HP damage or whatever level you are when you battle. this sometimes works out better if you play higher leveled battles.)
    Soft-Boiled - Keep this for recovery, a must on Blissey
    Grass Knot - Replace this with Healing bell (this cures all your pokemon of any status conditions, use Blissey as your healer)

Moves: Soft boiled - Healing Bell - Toxic - Seismic toss

hope this helps, this way your team is powered up and you don't have to swap anyone out.

If you want to try out your team then feel free to PM me your friend code, add me and i'll happily battle you with different teams to test your team out. :)
    1. Politoed isn't really an offensive-minded Pokemon because its Special Attack is average at best, while it's somewhat slow. It has decent special bulk, though, which is why it's mainly played defensively, and this is so it has a better chance of sticking around so it can set up rain again when needed. Offensive sets could work, but it makes Politoed worn down faster; that variety is more frequently seen in VGC/doubles. Mud Bomb is useless on Politoed, as rain-boosted Scalds still outdamage 2x super effective Mud Bombs. Focus Blast also has redundant coverage with Mud Bomb too. Oh, and before you bring up Magnezone, while it's hit marginally harder by Mud Bomb, rain-boosted Hydro Pump still 2HKOes it:

252+ SpA Politoed Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Manectric in Rain: 279-328 (99.2 - 116.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Politoed Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Manectric in Rain: 202-238 (71.8 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Politoed Mud Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Manectric: 146-174 (51.9 - 61.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

If you really must use offensive Politoed, here's a much better way of doing it, but then again, unless the team is focused on abusing the rainy weather, it shouldn't be considered:
    -Hydro Pump
    -Ice Beam
    -Focus Blast
    -Psychic
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 56 HP/252 SAtk/200 Spe
    Item: Damp Rock
    Ability: Drizzle

Psychic is there to let Politoed hit Mega Venusaur, who would normally wall Politoed otherwise. It also hits the occasional Toxicroak way harder than Mud Bomb would.

2. If Chandelure is to be used in standard play, Choiced sets are the best way to go, IMO, meaning that it won't really use Will-o-Wisp, as it's a bad move to get locked into:
    -Shadow Ball
    -Fire Blast
    -Hidden Power (Fighting)/Energy Ball
    -Trick/Energy Ball
    Nature: Modest/Timid
    Item: Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
    Ability: Flash Fire/Infiltrator

3. As I already mentioned, Jolteon is horribly outclassed by Mega Manectric and Raikou for the reasons I stated. If you really must use it, Hyper Voice doesn't let Jolteon do anything noteworthy, and Hidden Power (Ice) is mandatory for letting it OHKO Gliscor and Landorus. Signal Beam lets it hit Celebi hard. Also, Substitute + Baton Pass is the best way to play it, IMO. Jolteon forces switches decently, and it can get a free Substitute. It can then Baton Pass it away to a teammate, who will then have the Substitute take the hit for them when needed. Unless you can really make use out of the below set, you're better off with the Electrics I mentioned:
    -Substitute
    -Baton Pass
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    Ability: Volt Absorb

4. Chandelure isn't a good disguise for Zoroark. Remember that while Illusion changes Zoroark's appearance until it gets hit by an attck, it won't change its type. Considering that Chandelure is weak to Stealth Rock while Zoroark is neutral to it, if the opponent sees "Chandelure" take less Stealth Rock damage than usual, they'll catch on that they'll be facing Zoroark instead, and will send in something that can deal with Zoroark itself, namely Fairies. Aerial Ace is borderline useless, as it doesn't let it hit Fighting Pokemon that hard, while Focus Blast running off of Zoroark's higher Special Attack hits them harder. Bug isn't weak to Psychic; it takes neutral damage from that type. Also, Zoroark also needs a type that can take on Steels, namely Flamethrower and/or Focus Blast; replacing it was a bad option:

252 SpA Life Orb Zoroark Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Infernape: 213-251 (72.6 - 85.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Life Orb Zoroark Aerial Ace vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Infernape: 156-185 (53.2 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

If you must use specially-based Zoroark, it's better with Choice Specs or Nasty Plot:
    -Dark Pulse/Night Daze
    -Flamethrower/Grass Knot
    -Focus Blast
    -Trick
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef//252 Spe
    Item: Choice Specs

or
    -Nasty Plot
    -Dark Pulse
    -Focus Blast
    -Flamethrower/Grass Knot
    Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash

5. Refer to the above Gengar sets for much better alternatives. You're better off using one of Hex or Shadow Ball; don't try to combine both of the above sets at once. Gengar is also fine with using Ghost STABs alone, but if it must use a secondary attack, Sludge Wave/Sludge Bomb should be that option to let it hit Fairy Pokemon hard. If it must use a coverage attack, Focus Blast should be that attack, as Ghost + Fighting have perfect coverage together, with Sludge Bomb/Sludge Wave being Gengar's strongest attack. Psychic doesn't even let Gengar accomplish much; Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb/Sludge Wave already hit them hard enough. Focus Blast hits Dark Pokemon harder than Dazzling Gleam would, while Dragons are already handled fine by Gengar's STABs.

Back