• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why have you not bought a new gen console yet?

Can you see yourself upgrading to this generation of consoles?

• Yes

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 40.0%

• Total voters

Dansparce

The Unbeatable
Years
  • I only just got a Wii. And being a jobless student means that getting any money is next to impossible.

I definitely want a Wii U and PS4 though.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • I guess it's a combination of not having enough money and there being very few games that actually interest me on the new gen consoles. I was tempted enough to almost buy a Wii U for Smash, but I decided not to in the end.
    Just curious, what kind of games do you like to play?
    I only just got a Wii. And being a jobless student means that getting any money is next to impossible.

I definitely want a Wii U and PS4 though.

What made you buy a Wii so late in the game, bud?

Dansparce

The Unbeatable
    Years
  • The same reason that I only just got a Wii. don't have a Wii U or PS4. Lack of any money (although, that'll hopefully change soon).

Besides, my 3DS has kept me pretty well occupied with its diverse library.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Apart from having to spend my already limited money on more important things?

Honestly, I'm just not done with the previous generation of consoles. I'm still loving my PS3, there's still plenty of good PS3 games available, I'm not that desperate to play any of the current PS4 only games and there's still plenty of people playing multiplayer on the PS3. Really there's just no reason to upgrade yet and most of the people I know seem to agree.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Because I have a PC.

Exclusives? Well, sucks about some, like Journey, but if developers want to limit their audiences or are somehow unable to make a multi-platform game that's their problem and it doesn't really bother me.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I play consoles a lot less than I do PC games these days. There are a couple exclusives I'm definitely interested in, but I'm not sure if it's enough for me to spring for a new system that will likely be collecting dust. I even feel bad about my 'last gen' consoles, which I haven't turned on in like months.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • Nope, not intending to get new consoles. In fact, I sold away all home consoles because I simply don't have time to play. :(

I'd rather spend the money on things I actually need. Priorities.

Years
  • I have no plans of getting any next gen console, mainly because I feel that they are not really that big of a jump from their predecessors (ie. PS3 to PS4 wasn't as big an improvement as PS2 to PS3). Furthermore, none of the games available for them have caught my interest, and I have noticed that next gen games tend to be rushed and unfinished on release, requiring updates to become "complete" (Good examples are Driveclub and Destiny at launch).

Over the past two years my interest in switching over to PC gaming has been growing. With SteamOS rumored to be coming out sometime this year, I might opt to invest and build a gaming PC instead of buying a next gen console. This way I'll have the option of simply replacing hardware components to upgrade my system instead of having to buy a new one every few years.

Years
  • Not sure how valid my answer is since there's already a PS4 here (wasn't my purchase, was the husband's purchase), but...

I do know I have my eye slightly on the Wii U, but there's one very good reason I haven't tried springing for it yet: that being that there's not enough games out for it yet that interest me that make me want to spend money on the system. Maybe in a bit, when there's more games out for it? But right now, I really, honestly, cannot even try to being to justify spending the money on it.

Especially when the other system here? The most usage I see it get right now is as a glorified Netflix/blu-ray player. I don't feel like buying another one just to have it collect dust as well.

And then the Xbox I just have no interest whatsoever in getting.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • I want one, but I'm extremely cheap with money. But I REALLY want the Wii-U. Great games on it recently. The one game that is really pushing me to buy it is Mario kart 8.

Years
  • I have 74 games in my physical backlog, between x360, Pokemon, and Wii U.
    Have purchased several XONE games, and several for a PS3 (which I have yet to own, derp).

I tell myself about price drops like I'm Willy Wonka or something.
    One more, blueberry. One more.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I actually won a PlayStation 4 from the Taco Bell Play the Future promo a little over a year ago but I gave that to my boyfriend as an early Christmas present...

Anyway, I haven't upgraded myself (I did try my luck with the white PS4 Destiny bundle promo with Taco Bell again lol but didn't win :() but I will get a PlayStation 4 eventually, even if it isn't this year or next.

Years
  • I'm too broke to be able to spend that much money on something I don't need right now. D;
    I only JUST got a PS3 summer 2014. I traded an iPad that I won as a promotion when I signed the lease to the student apartments I was living in, and never used, for the ps3 I have now. I figure there's still a lot of ps3 games I need to play, even though there are cool ps4 games I want to, and I can wait to get a ps4.
    I also have been wanting at least a 3DS, since I have one of the first set of DS lites that came out, but I don't even have the money to throw down for that plus games. :P I'm outta luck.
    I used to have share an Xbox 360 with my little brother, but when I moved out I wasn't allowed to take it with me and so my brother basically inherited it, which is dumb af.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    I'm a PC gamer so it takes a lot for me to feel the need to buy a console. That said, the new generation of consoles are just so under-powered. The whole "60FPS, 1080P" game has gone out the window already. The One & PS4 are already struggling to keep up with newer games (Unity, The Witcher 3, DA:I). I fear how they'll fair in keeping up in a number of years. I think the hardware upgrade was just too small of a margin.

I tend to only buy consoles if there's exclusives I really, really want. TLoUHD and The Unchartered series are the only things pulling me towards a PS4, while for the One, it's Sunset Overdrive. None of the games have compelled me to consider throwing a couple of hundred down just yet though. So for now, I'll stick with my PC.

Back