• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Changing and Altering Cries in Gold/Silver/Crystal

Coolboyman

Veteran Hacker
Years
  • This tutorial will allow you to change the cries of your Pokemon to whatever you want. This is a very important factor if you're going to add your own custom pokemon, or Pokemon from newer generations. You need a hex editor, theres no other way around this and you'll have to learn to live with it.

Each cry declaration is 6 bytes long, and located at F2747. They are in order of Pokedex number. To find what Pokemon you want to edit, simply take your windows calculator (If you don't have windows or cant find the calculator, USE GOOGLE to find an online version to convert hex to dec).

Let's say we want to edit Zubat's cry. Zubat's number 41, now subtract that by 1, then multiply that by 6, which equals 240. Convert it to hex (F0), and add that to the starting location (F2747), and it equals F2837. That is where Zubat's cry is.

01 = Basic sound. You know that some pokemon share the same cry, but did you know that there are only 67 unique cries in the game? Here is a list of them.

00 = Sandshrew
    01 = Nidoran F
    02 = Slowpoke
    03 = Kangaskhan
    04 = Charmander
    05 = Snorlax
    06 = Voltorb
    07 = Muk
    08 = Oddish
    09 = Raichu
    0A = Nidoqueen
    0B = Diglett
    0C = Seel
    0D = Drowsee
    0E = Pidgey
    0F = Bulbasaur
    10 = Spearow
    11 = Rhydon
    12 = Golem
    13 = Blastoise
    14 = Pidgeotto
    15 = Weedle
    16 = Caterpie
    17 = Ekans
    18 = Fearow
    19 = Clefable
    1A = Venonat
    1B = Lapras
    1C = Metapod
    1D = Squirtle / Zubat
    1E = Paras
    1F = Growlithe
    20 = Krabby
    21 = Psyduck
    22 = Rattata
    23 = Vileplume
    24 = Vulpix
    25 = Weepinbell
    26 = Marill
    27 = Spinarak
    28 = Togepi
    29 = Girafarig
    2A = Raikou
    2B = Mareep
    2C = Togetic
    2D = Hoothoot
    2E = Sentret
    2F = Slowking
    30 = Cyndaquil
    31 = Chikorita
    32 = Totodile
    33 = Gligar
    34 = Cleffa
    35 = Slugma
    36 = Ledyba
    37 = Entei / Celebi
    38 = Wooper
    39 = Mantine
    3A = Steelix
    3B = Natu
    3C = Teddiursa
    3D = Sunflora
    3E = Ampharos
    3F = Suicine
    40 = Pichu
    41 = Aipom / Ho-oh
    42 = Dunsparce
    43 = Donphan

As we can see here, these cries can be altered so they sound nothing like each other, such as Celebi and Entei, and Squirtle and Zubat. Do NOT go above 44, it will create glitch cries that can have odd effects to the music, and may take forever to finish.

02 = KEEP THIS VALUE AT 00! This is the ninth bit to basic sounds, and if you change it to 01 or above, the cry will be glitched. This sparks some curiosity, hinting maybe Gamefreak was originally going to put in more cries.
    03 = Pitch. The higher the value is, the higher the pitch is, and visa versa.
    04 = This is a cool effect, it creates a single echo of the cry. The higher the value, the more loud the echo is. Mostly used by Johto Pokemon, one of them is Chikorita, who uses FF, being the highest echo the game can allow.
    05 = Length. The higher the value is, the longer the cry is stretched out. The "normal" length is usually 80. However, some Pokemon, especially Johto use 00 with the next byte as 01
    06 = This is the next byte to the length. Only 00 and 01 are used, and can be used to REALLY stretch out the cries. However, you can go 02 and above, but that could make the cries way too long...

Heres some examples of cries.
    Metapod: 1C 00 CC 00 81 00
    Chikorita: 31 00 F0 FF B0 00
    Entei: 37 00 00 00 80 01
    Celebi: 37 00 4A 01 11 01
    Mewtwo: 1E 00 99 00 7F 01
    Mew: 1E 00 EE 00 7F 01

And now you know how to edit the cries.

TRIVIA:
    Want to know why Missingno typically has Nidoran/sandshrew's cry, but shorter? Gamefreak made all of the values in the cry 00. The method in Red/Blue is similar, but no second bytes to each method and no echo value. So 00 as the Base cry, 00 as the length, and 00 as the pitch, you have Missingno's cry!

Attached is a recording of all of the cries used with no special pitch and average length. You can use these for reference.

Last edited:

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Great stuff as always, Koolboyman. For those who are curious, offsets in other games are:

0F2787 (Crystal)
    039446 (Red/Blue)
    039462 (Yellow)

Last edited:

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
    Years
  • How do you guys discover these things?
    Do you just see bytes and know what they mean in hex?

A few more Tutorials and I'm back to hacking gold!
    Aftr The Advanced Hack of course

Isn't there a Tool for editing cries? I think I saw one before

Offtopic (even hough you might not care): My gold hack is still being worked on. I can't seem to get trainerbattles to work, I would look
    at nintendo's scripts, but I don't know where to start.

*EDIT:
    I know where to start (thanks to Megamap), sorry for spamming up thread!

Back