• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Is it legal for Pok?mon to learn moves they usually can't via glitches?

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Is it legal for Pokémon to learn moves they usually can't via glitches?

There is a glitch in Gen 2 that let's Pokémon that can learn either Mimic, Transform, Mirror Move, or Metronome learn any move in the game. Basically you have your Pokémon use Sketch by Mimincing or Transforming a Pokémon that knows Sketch, letting you then Sketch one of its other moves. This also applies if you use Sketch via Mirror Move or call Sketch via Metronome. Your Pokémon will permanently know the Sketched move.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
  • Well, legal in what sense?

I mean, I'd still consider that cheating in a way, as it's exploiting a glitch in the game. Those Pokémon weren't meant to know those moves permanently, right? It kind of ruins the dynamics of the game a little bit in my opinion, but hey, we all play it differently.

Besides, you don't really see much competitive battling from gen II, and there's no real way of getting them on current gen games, so really there's no great harm.

Reactions: Sun

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Well, legal in what sense?

I mean, I'd still consider that cheating in a way, as it's exploiting a glitch in the game. Those Pokémon weren't meant to know those moves permanently, right? It kind of ruins the dynamics of the game a little bit in my opinion, but hey, we all play it differently.

Besides, you don't really see much competitive battling from gen II, and there's no real way of getting them on current gen games, so really there's no great harm.

I would say it's a grey area because you didn't use a cheating device like Game Shark.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    It isn't legit, albeit intended or not, since you used a glitch to learn some unlearnable moves. However, if your Pokemon learn an Egg Move through the said method the Pokemon is actually still legit, the method isn't honest though.

Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2016
    If you've used something you've found in game to give you an unfair advantage competitively, and it clearly wasn't intended by the developers, in my eyes, it will always be classified as cheating ;)

Reactions: Sun
    Years
  • I mean, if you were to use it against someone else, they may be slightly annoyed by something which is neither a legitimate use of Sketch, nor of Transform. Otherwise, if you just wished to explore that niche and see if anything interesting turns up, then fair enough, one interesting consequence would be that following the introduction of the Unown, they become pretty much the only Pokémon essentially insistent on only using one move, in lieu of usual other 'stand-by's like Ditto, etc. At least, so far as the moves themselves go. Mew, obtained via glitches frequently in Gen. I, if obtained from within that game, was mostly the opposite and learned all TM moves, which is strange, as well as Transform, so that would make for an interesting variation in Gen. II.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I don't think Pokemon with glitched moves like that count as legal. After all, if they did, a lot of Pokemon would have unlimited movesets, which wasn't intended, and which doesn't fall under the rules that I'm guessing most GSC players play by. Generation-exclusive moves/tradebacks (from GSC to RBY through breeding or TMs, e.g.) are generally legal, though (depending on the rule set).

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    Something like this wouldn't get through Bank, if it were possible. So I'd say it's definitely not legal.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Something like this wouldn't get through Bank, if it were possible. So I'd say it's definitely not legal.

There is no Bank. This is Gen 2 we're talking about. The closest thing to Bank back then was the storage system in Stadium 2.

Back