• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team Help ~ Getting a Work in Progress to Move

Ajwork

Rising Edge
Years
I've been playing with Pokemon ever since Sapphire came out. Although, I admit that I'd appreciate some aid in proof-reading a hypothetical team.

I actually went to the VGC last year, but that was a train-wreck. I was still trying to breed my team up in Emerald and get it to Diamond to Platinum while I was on the train going to Philly.

I still thank goodness that I didn't win the lotto to go fight. I ended up using wild pokemon captured later in-game instead.

I'd like to attend the VGC again this year, attempting to stay-clear of another incident similar to this one. Now, while there's time, I'm trying to get a head start on making a team. And although it's possible to procrastinate a decent (if not fair (if not amazing)) team in time for the VGC, I think it's best I get together with others and try to see the other options, first.

At this point, I'd much rather breed third generation pokemon in third generation games; my comfort zone. I will, however, make changes for exceptional... exceptions.

The following are ideas for my team. Who knows how many lacerations will be made before I can say "Time to begin!" I will not list items-- I'd like to use berries, but I'd like to hear some ideas for items

Sceptile (Special Sweeper)
Salamence (Physical or Special Sweeper)
Metagross (Offensive Tank or Defensive Tank)
Swampert (Don't quite have a name for it, but probably tank or wall)
Lucario (Our Generational Exception, although having two Steel Types on the same team may be an issue)
Tyrannitar (It's allowed, so why not? Although, three ground-weak members on a team? That's a big no-no.)
Mewtwo (Depending on the stats it has at the change to level 50; Special Sweeper)
Alakazam (Replacing Mewtwo if wiser; Special Sweeper/Staller hybrid)
Blastoise (Rapid Spinner and Tank)

Sceptile, lv.50
Modest or Timid Nature
253 Sp. Attack, 253 Speed, 4 HP
Leaf Storm or Giga Drain
Dragon Breath
List Move Here (Protect? Detect?)
List Move Here (Protect? Detect?)

Salamence, lv.50
Adamant or Jolly Nature
253 Attack, 253 Speed, 4 HP
Dragon Claw
Fly
Earth Quake
Protect

-or-

Slamence, lv.50
Modest or Timid Nature
253 Sp. Attack, 253 Speed, 4 HP
Dragon Breath or Dragon Pulse (I'm leaning more towards 30% paralysis)
Flame Thrower or Fire Blast
Hydro Pump
Protect

Metagross, lv.50 (I'll go ahead and say, "holding Leftovers")
Impish or Careful Nature
253 Defence, 253 Sp Defence, 4 HP
Magnet Rise
Iron Defense
Meteor Mash or Earth Quake
Toxic

(I have the special Metagross nintendo gave away in 2005 at Pokemon Rocks America campaigns that has Refresh. The nature does not come to mind, but it's level 31 and prime for training.)

Swampert (Possibly holding Left Overs)
Impish, Careful or Adamant Nature
253 Defence, 253 Sp. Defence, 4 HP
Surf
Ice Punch
Earth Quake
Protect

I don't have a build for anybody else, or at least feel that this should be looked at and worked on first.

I sincerely need some input, or at least somebody who gives a reasonable amount of interest for it. Whoever it is, you'll be my new best friend, my friend.

Signed,

A.J.

Aurafire

provider of cake
Years
What's the deal with the 253 EVs in each stat? That extra EV doesn't do anyting for you since 4 EVs = 1 stat point. Always use 252 max in any given stat, and if you've already maxed out two stats, that gives you 4 EVs to play around with.

From what I can see you have Protect on almost all of your pokemon, which is just a waste of a moveslot on most sets, especially for sweepers =(

If you're EV a pokemon defensively, you MUST max HP in most cases to increase overall defensive potential. Maxing both defenses is not nearly as effective.

Honestly I'm a little confused as to which pokemon you're using on your team since you only have four movesets listed out of those eight possibilities ;-;

Nightrider434343

Intermediate Game Developer
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 25, 2010
I would suggest Salamence(adamant)holding life orb, Swampert holding leftovers, Lucario with anything that raises attack, Metagross holding leftovers, Alakazam, and Sceptile.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
Hmmm....I have a moveset for Salamence, provided you can breed/catch bagons:

Wall-Breaker this:

Salamence @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
16 Atk / 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Draco Meteor
Earthquake
Brick Break
Flamethrower

This can take out many threats, such as the cursed Blissey, which might switch in if you open with Flamethrower or Draco Meteor.

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
Years
If I remember right, VGC is double battles, correct? In that case, you definitely want to use Pokemon that are on the lookout for common strategies such as Trick Room, Fakeout, Follow Me, and other double battle combos that are used such as synergy.

I really don't know much else about VGC, so I would turn to somebody else for advice on that. Also you could try looking at this:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61973

Link to the VGC thread on Smogon.

Also browsing the Smogon website for VGC warstories would be nice as it gives you a view of what the VGC metagame is like, and hopefully you can build your team from that.

Back