• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

OU Team for Showdown

Firebolt

Reach for my hand~
Years
  • So after I created my first Pokemon team, I realised there isn't an option to do 6v6 in online battles...(sigh).

Anywhos, I decided to create my second Pokemon team anyway. I'm probably going to use this team on Showdown as well as fighting Passerbys. I've decided to stick to a team that would be allowed in OU, as I was sick of fighting 6 Arceus'/Darkrais in Anything Goes (because I want to be sick of over used Pokemon :P ).

TDLR (exluding EVs and nature) in the attached file at the bottom.

Enough blabber, here's my team:

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
    Ability: Klutz > Scrappy
    EVs: 252 Att/ 4 Def/ 252 Spe
    Nature: Jolly
    Moves: Ice Punch, Fake Out, High Jump Kick, Return
    Pretty standard Lopunny I believe, nothing weird about it. Lopunny's role is to sweep late game. It's high attack and speed make it a relatively safe pick in that manner.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Ability: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP/ 224 SpDef/ 32 Spe
    Nature: Careful
    Moves: Iron Head, Toxic, Wish, U-Turn
    The reasoning behind Jirachi's EVs and nature is to have high special defense to deal with those pesky Fairy types that are likely to trouble Lopunny. Wish with U-Turn allows it to heal teammates to prolong their longevity. Toxic is to break through walls that may trouble Lopunny/this team in general. I also considered Clefable (to provide consistent special damage + deal with M-Slowbro) in here, but decided to go with Jirachi in the end due to it's access to U-Turn (I really love VoltTurn, as you'll see).

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Rough Skin
    EVs: 240 HP/ 176 Def/ 92 Spe
    Nature: Impish
    Moves: Earthquake, Stealth Rock, Dragon Tail, Fire Blast
    TankChomp, end of story. Jokes aside, Rocky Helmet + Rough Skin allows Garchomp to deal with physical attackers who may threaten this team; his EVs are optimized for this. Stealth Rock allows my team to set up entry hazard to discourage Bird-type Pokemon from coming in. Dragon Tail is to phaze and rack up damage, or just flat out remove a Poke that's annoying me for a turn. Initially, I had Fire Punch instead of Fire Miss, but after discovering that it let Garchomp deal with Skarmory, Ferrothorn and M-Scizor, I swapped the two. I had considered Excadrill here for the Rapid Spin support, but it gave my team a huge(r) fighting-type weakness.

Bisharp @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Defiant
    EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Att/ 252 Spe
    Moves: Pursuit, Iron Head, Swords Dance, Sucker Punch/(Knock Off?)
    Bisharp will be my go-to counter for psychic type Pokemon. Pursuit is invaluable in stopping such Pokemon from harming Lopunny. Iron Head allows him to double as a fairy counter too. I put in Swords Dance because I thought it would be a waste not to as he will probably get many chances to set up and sweep on his own. I can't decide between Sucker Punch or Knock Off though...

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252HP/ 252Def/ 4SpDef
    Nature: Bold
    Moves: Volt Switch, Hydro Pump, Will-O-Wisp, Pain Split
    Turns out I love tanky mons that cause trouble. This guy was on my first team. Guess I can breed another 50 eggs if you think he needs to change... Nature and EVs is to sponge physical attacks, and then Will-O-Wisp is to cripple the same Pokemon. Rotom-Wash is basically my counter to Fighting types as well as the ever-so-present Talonflame. Speaking of which...

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
    Ability: Gale Winds
    EVs: 252 Att/ 4 Def/ 252 Spe
    Moves: Flare Blitz, Brave Bird, Roost, U-Turn
    Ugh yes I know, a third physical sweeper AND another VoltTurn sweeper. My reasons are good, honest! Talonflame rounds the team up defensively by being able to deal with Keldeo as well as levitating steel types that may bother Garchomp and Jirachi (cough Magnezone cough). Talonflame is also very threatening and is also able to deal with fighting and fairy types. Roost lets him stay healthy and U-Turn to switch with ease.

Let me know what you think!

Attachments

• OU Team for Showdown
      Pokemon Team 2.1.png
      38.6 KB · Views: 2

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    U-turn is kinda useless on Talonflame really. Or at least it has better choices than U-turn like Taunt or Swords Dance (which your team may want to slightly improve your MU vs stall) or Will-o-Wisp.

Limber is also the pre-Mega ability you want on Lopunny to be able to switch into predicted T-Waves, even though that's a rare scenario. Klutz is used more to screw with Trick users or to make use of Trick yourself (idr if Lop gets Trick tho), and Mega Stones are immune to Trick so it's not of any use.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • U-turn is kinda useless on Talonflame really. Or at least it has better choices than U-turn like Taunt or Swords Dance (which your team may want to slightly improve your MU vs stall) or Will-o-Wisp.

Limber is also the pre-Mega ability you want on Lopunny to be able to switch into predicted T-Waves, even though that's a rare scenario. Klutz is used more to screw with Trick users or to make use of Trick yourself (idr if Lop gets Trick tho), and Mega Stones are immune to Trick so it's not of any use.

Lopunny gets Switcheroo, which works in exactly the same way as Trick.

Assault Vest Bisharp benefits more from a bulky spread than an offensive one. Otherwise, the Special Defense boost becomes meaningless, since Bisharp's special bulk on its own is rather unimpressive. 192 HP/220 Atk/96 Spe is the spread to let Bisharp outspeed max Speed Azumarill. You can't use status moves with Assault Vest as well, so Swords Dance becomes useless if you opt for Assault Vest. Bisharp also really likes having Knock Off so it has a more reliable Dark STAB against non-Mega Stone users. If you really must use Swords Dance, Pursuit the more expendable move, while the preferred items on Swords Dance Bisharp are Life Orb, Dread Plate, Black Glasses, or Lum Berry.

Going with what Nah said about Talonflame, you need a Rapid Spin/Defog user on the team, as it's very weak to Stealth Rock. An example of one that provides that and still provides Stealth Rock is Excadrill:
    -Earthquake
    -Iron Head
    -Rapid Spin
    -Stealth Rock
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 SDef
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Mold Breaker

On another note, you can do 6v6 battles online on the Player Search System.

Reactions: Nah

Firebolt

Reach for my hand~
    Years
  • U-turn is kinda useless on Talonflame really. Or at least it has better choices than U-turn like Taunt or Swords Dance (which your team may want to slightly improve your MU vs stall) or Will-o-Wisp.

Ah damn didn't think of Taunt. Seems like it could be a very useful move in blocking other Pokemon from Will-O-Wisping Talonflame (as well as other things).
    About Lopunny's ability, I honestly just looked at the one I had available and decided to use it, as I thought I'd be Mega evolving in the first turn anyway.

Lopunny gets Switcheroo, which works in exactly the same way as Trick.

Assault Vest Bisharp benefits more from a bulky spread than an offensive one. Otherwise, the Special Defense boost becomes meaningless, since Bisharp's special bulk on its own is rather unimpressive. 192 HP/220 Atk/96 Spe is the spread to let Bisharp outspeed max Speed Azumarill. You can't use status moves with Assault Vest as well, so Swords Dance becomes useless if you opt for Assault Vest. Bisharp also really likes having Knock Off so it has a more reliable Dark STAB against non-Mega Stone users. If you really must use Swords Dance, Pursuit the more expendable move, while the preferred items on Swords Dance Bisharp are Life Orb, Dread Plate, Black Glasses, or Lum Berry.

Going with what Nah said about Talonflame, you need a Rapid Spin/Defog user on the team, as it's very weak to Stealth Rock. An example of one that provides that and still provides Stealth Rock is Excadrill:
    -Earthquake
    -Iron Head
    -Rapid Spin
    -Stealth Rock
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 SDef
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Mold Breaker

On another note, you can do 6v6 battles online on the Player Search System.
    Dammit forgot that I can't use Swords Dance with Assault Vest -.- I like your EV spread, and Smogon agrees, so I'll use it :P I'll also make him Adamant, as these speed EVs already allow him to outspeed Azumarill.

Also, I had Excadrill instead of Garchomp originally, but adding him there would give my team a 4x Weakness to Fighting. To add in Excadrill, I'd either have to remove Lopunny or Bisharp. Removing Lopuny defeats the purpose of this team whereas removing Bisharp will remove the counter to Lati@s and many other Psychic types who will be able to have their way with my team.

Playing around with the Randomiser (cause it's fun), my other option is to remove Talonflame from the team, change Jirachi's moves a bit (more of a mixed attacker with Life Orb, Psychic, Thunderbolt, Iron Head and Toxic/Thunder Wave), and put in Sylveon, who would hit Fighting-type for super-effective with Hyper Voice (and an awesome Fairy STAB in general) and support the team with Wish/Baton Pass.

Years
  • Personally, I think the best Jirachi set is its choice scarf set.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Iron Head
    - U-turn
    - Fire Punch/Heart Stamp
    - Healing Wish

There's very little it doesn't hit, there's also very little it doesn't outspeed. I can see your reasoning behind the bulkier version but if you're planning to switch to a more offensive Jirachi set, that's the one you want.

Secondly, you're liable to run into some trouble with Landorus-T. You do have a great answer to it in the form of Rotom-W but if it goes down your going to sustain heavy damage (hell you might anyway). Lopunny can hit it hard with Ice Punch too obviously but I worry about how widespread EQ is because it will murder a lot of your team if you ditch talon. Although the aforementioned landorus-t is a big problem for talon since it always has stone edge.

So basically what I'm saying is, don't replace Garchomp for Exca because that is begging to be swept by landorus with two non-levitate steel pokemon already on your team.

If you want something that walls psychic types and removes hazards, try Mandibuzz or maybe bulky Starmie.

Edit: You could also consider running Ice Punch on Jirachi to deal with lati@s and those pesky ground types

Firebolt

Reach for my hand~
    Years
  • Personally, I think the best Jirachi set is its choice scarf set.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Iron Head
    - U-turn
    - Fire Punch/Heart Stamp
    - Healing Wish

There's very little it doesn't hit, there's also very little it doesn't outspeed. I can see your reasoning behind the bulkier version but if you're planning to switch to a more offensive Jirachi set, that's the one you want.

Secondly, you're liable to run into some trouble with Landorus-T. You do have a great answer to it in the form of Rotom-W but if it goes down your going to sustain heavy damage (hell you might anyway). Lopunny can hit it hard with Ice Punch too obviously but I worry about how widespread EQ is because it will murder a lot of your team if you ditch talon. Although the aforementioned landorus-t is a big problem for talon since it always has stone edge.

So basically what I'm saying is, don't replace Garchomp for Exca because that is begging to be swept by landorus with two non-levitate steel pokemon already on your team.

If you want something that walls psychic types and removes hazards, try Mandibuzz or maybe bulky Starmie.

Edit: You could also consider running Ice Punch on Jirachi to deal with lati@s and those pesky ground types

That Jirachi sounds awesome, but a) I don't have any Wish support anymore and b) I don't have a Jolly Jirachi...

I've decided to keep Talonflame and change U-Turn to Swords Dance. The reason for this is because I'm going to swap Bisharp for a bulky Starmie. Without S-Dance Talonflame, my team would become wayyyyy too passive (already considering hunting for a Jolly Jirachi now).

Starmie @ Leftovers
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252HP/ 4 SpAtt/ 252 Spe
    Moves: Rapid Spin, Scald, Recover, Signal Beam
    So this Starmie has Rapid Spin to destroy hazards to allow Talonflame to come in easier. Recover is to mitigate entry damage as well as give Starmie high sustainability. Scald constantly threatens physical attacks and just any Pokemon that doesn't want to be whittled down due to burn. Signal Beam is to deal with Psychic types (I really can't stress this enough. No Pokemon on the team can deal with these Pokemon, and it is essential to allow Lopunny to have a clean sweep).

If this doesn't seem suitable either, I might just go back to the drawing board.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • That Jirachi sounds awesome, but a) I don't have any Wish support anymore and b) I don't have a Jolly Jirachi...

I've decided to keep Talonflame and change U-Turn to Swords Dance. The reason for this is because I'm going to swap Bisharp for a bulky Starmie. Without S-Dance Talonflame, my team would become wayyyyy too passive (already considering hunting for a Jolly Jirachi now).

Starmie @ Leftovers
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252HP/ 4 SpAtt/ 252 Spe
    Moves: Rapid Spin, Scald, Recover, Signal Beam
    So this Starmie has Rapid Spin to destroy hazards to allow Talonflame to come in easier. Recover is to mitigate entry damage as well as give Starmie high sustainability. Scald constantly threatens physical attacks and just any Pokemon that doesn't want to be whittled down due to burn. Signal Beam is to deal with Psychic types (I really can't stress this enough. No Pokemon on the team can deal with these Pokemon, and it is essential to allow Lopunny to have a clean sweep).

If this doesn't seem suitable either, I might just go back to the drawing board.
    Outside of hitting Psychics, Signal Beam doesn't have much use. Most Psychics are inherently physically frail and can be nailed by Talonflame's Brave Bird. Change it to Psyshock for a secondary STAB, or Reflect Type to better handle Ferrothorn and Pursuit users.

Firebolt

Reach for my hand~
    Years
  • Outside of hitting Psychics, Signal Beam doesn't have much use. Most Psychics are inherently physically frail and can be nailed by Talonflame's Brave Bird. Change it to Psyshock for a secondary STAB, or Reflect Type to better handle Ferrothorn and Pursuit users.

Alright, I think this team is ready for testing now. Thanks for the help everyone!

(^^ In PlatinumDude we trust ^^)

Back