• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2016 Australian Federal Elections

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2017
    Gilmore has been taken by the Coalition putting them up on 73 so they just need three more seats for the majority government. I also heard that apparently Turnbull is in talks with Bob Katter to discuss his options for a minority government.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Green added that the likely result would be Lib 74 - Lab 71. And ABC confirms Katter has agreed to support Turnbull in case of a hung parliament (which still sounds likely). Not to mention they still have to provide for a Speaker, which is a -1 in the final count, so... it's going to be an interesting term. Unless they manage to win all the marginal seats (which is possible but not too likely), they'll depend on the independents to get anything through to the mess that is the Senate.

The question is, will anybody try to knife Turnbull in the coming two years? It's a weird world where the Labor leader is the one who seems pretty safe in his desk.

Years
  • It's looking more and more like there will be a coalition win. Wonderful.
    I guess it goes to show that whilst Shorten is better than Rudd or Gillard and the Labor party has been much more cohesive, being a worse party doesn't mean much if you're being lead by a more competent politician.

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2017
    So there's news that Victoria, NSW, Queensland and WA have been affected by Ballet Mishaps. 105 WA Voters were given the ballot paper for the Victorian senate and there's investigations going on in the seat of Higgins in Victoria over the possibility of the wrong papers been handed out. And in NSW and Queensland there were shortages of ballot paper that left many voters unable to cast their vote.

Years
  • So there's news that Victoria, NSW, Queensland and WA have been affected by Ballet Mishaps. 105 WA Voters were given the ballot paper for the Victorian senate and there's investigations going on in the seat of Higgins in Victoria over the possibility of the wrong papers been handed out. And in NSW and Queensland there were shortages of ballot paper that left many voters unable to cast their vote.

Ah yes I heard about wrong ballot papers so if we don't get a definite result we could be forced to have to do the election all over again and have everything recounted.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
    Years
  • So there's news that Victoria, NSW, Queensland and WA have been affected by Ballet Mishaps. 105 WA Voters were given the ballot paper for the Victorian senate and there's investigations going on in the seat of Higgins in Victoria over the possibility of the wrong papers been handed out. And in NSW and Queensland there were shortages of ballot paper that left many voters unable to cast their vote.

Yeah, and from what I've also heard, the Australian Electoral Commission's funding was actually cut a while back. So it's possible that the funding cuts have actually affected the amount of time, organizing and planning for sending out the ballot papers for each electorate, meaning that more mistakes are made and the amount of polling booths in each electorate was actually much shorter than back in 2013.

Years
  • Funding cuts? Maybe that's actually to blame for the ballot paper mishaps, and if I remember the polling place I went to (which was a 5-minute walk from where I live btw) was quite confined and didn't have many booths.

Hopefully next time a federal election happens (or heck, even some state elections that are likely to happen next year, since I know it's been three years since my state of NSW last had an election) there shouldn't be a ballot paper shortage because that's the worst thing to have, especially if it's causing some of these seats' results to still be undecided.

Years
  • Funding cuts? Maybe that's actually to blame for the ballot paper mishaps, and if I remember the polling place I went to (which was a 5-minute walk from where I live btw) was quite confined and didn't have many booths.

Hopefully next time a federal election happens (or heck, even some state elections that are likely to happen next year, since I know it's been three years since my state of NSW last had an election) there shouldn't be a ballot paper shortage because that's the worst thing to have, especially if it's causing some of these seats' results to still be undecided.

If you ask me it's reason to re-vote.

Voting in Australia isn't just a mandatory obligation but it's also a right. By not having enough ballots available the government hasn't just prevented us from doing our civic duty but have also impeached upon our rights. So someone better see consequences for this or I will not be impressed.

Years
  • Anyways, it appears another crossbencher has made a deal to support Turnbull in the event of a hung parliament - Independent MP for Indi, Cathy McGowan apparently spoke with him earlier today about making a deal assuming if the Coalition don't get enough seats for majority government.

Back