• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RMT: Psychic Sweepers

Ryukouki

BW Metagame Player
Years
    • Seen May 5, 2011
    Let's make this Gen V OU team even better than what it is! It's a bunch of Psychic Pokes that gave me only a 50% win ratio. I want to increase and make it better! :)

Pokemon Used

espeon.png

Espeon @ Light Clay
    Timid
    Magic Bounce
    EVs: (252HP/4DEF/252SPE)
    -Hidden Power Fighting
    -Light Screen
    -Reflect
    -Psychic

Description: As my main lead into battle, I use Espeon to set up screens defenses for my entire team. Uses Hidden Power Fighting to ward off Dark Type Pokemon and Psychic for STAB attack bonuses. I am considering adding baton pass somewhere to make Espeon even more of a supporter and for a quick way to withdraw safely. Light Clay serves to lengthen the usage of screening. I need Espeon to stay in for as long as possible to keep screens up for more of my team.

exeggutor.png

Exeggutor @ Lum Berry
    Bold
    Harvest
    EVs: (252HP/252DEF/4SATK)
    -Rest
    -Sleep Powder
    -Psychic
    -Giga Drain

Description: Exeggutor is another very handy supporter. Exeggutor, with its Dual Typing, gets more attacks with STAB and with the Harvest build, can fully recover at a moments notice. Psychic adds STAB and Giga Drain, same thing, but recovers. Effective countermeasure against Spec'd Starmies or Drizzle teams. Devastated by Drought teams, mainly Solar Powered Charizards, Ninetales, and Infernape.

latias.png

Latias @ Choice Specs
    Timid
    Levitate
    EVs: (4HP/252SpA/4Spe)
    -Draco Meteor
    -Dragon Pulse
    -Surf
    -Psyshock

Description: One size fits all here. Wide variety of power moves makes it an effective sweep. All moves, sans Surf, give STAB. Possibly my weakest link, as it is easily demolished with Ice Punches or Ice Beams. Rolled quickly by Sworded Garchomps. However, Latias is able to clear Solar Powered Charizard with ease, and can put up a good fight against Garchomp or Gyrados.

gallade.png

Gallade @ Leftovers
    Careful
    Steadfast
    EVs: (240HP/40Atk/216SDEF/12Spe)
    -Bulk Up
    -Drain Punch
    -Ice Punch
    -Shadow Sneak
    Description: Devastating build that can wipe Garchomps in two hits with Ice Punch. Drain Punch delivers STAB and counters dark Pokemon with efficiency. If Espeon's screens are still active, it quickly becomes almost invincible and can wreck through most unprepared teams. Dual typing prevents Psychic being super effective. Main sweeping unit.

claydol.png

Claydol @ leftovers
    Bold
    Levitate
    EVs: (252HP/112SpA/144DEF)
    -Rapid spin
    -Stealth Rock
    -Earth Power
    -Psychic

Description: Support unit. Uses Rapid Spin to clear out any field obstacles in place, while Rocking the opponent as well. Earth Power can swamp Electivires and Fire-types, such as Ninetales. Ninetales is officially neutralized because of the Rock typing, and uses Psychic for STAB or Earth Power. Serves as my other form of support that can still swamp through Drought Teams and Liechi'd Hitmonlee.

starmie.png

Starmie @ Choice Specs
    Timid
    Natural Cure
    EVs: (4SDEFHP/252SpA/252Spe)
    -Hydro Pump
    -Thunderbolt
    -Ice Beam
    -Trick

Description: Though this build is last generation, I found a use for it here. I use this to take out a wide variety of types. Hydro Pump with Choice Specs is insane because given the extremely godly speed of a Starmie, making Hydro Pump harder and stronger will make Starmie a very effective unit in taking out Sunny Day/Sandstorm teams. Chlorophyll Venusaur becomes a joke in the face of Ice Beam, and Sworded Chomps become a memory.

My Problems With the Team

I think I am still going to get rolled by Sworded Scizors. :( Given the better typing, instead of going Mono-Psychic, I feel as if this team has a lot more synergy and plays more fluidly. I played a lot of matches today and noticed a great improvement in my wins and combos.

EDIT: I also got rolled a lot by Bulky Sleep Talk Suicune! How do I counter him???
    EDIT 2: I realize now that if someone brings in a Dark/Ghost type I'm finished. Any way to avoid it?

Last edited:

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
    Years
  • My Problems With the Team

I think I am still going to get rolled by Sworded Scizors. :( Given the better typing, instead of going Mono-Psychic, I feel as if this team has a lot more synergy and plays more fluidly. I played a lot of matches today and noticed a great improvement in my wins and combos.

EDIT: I also got rolled a lot by Bulky Sleep Talk Suicune! How do I counter him???
    EDIT 2: I realize now that if someone brings in a Dark/Ghost type I'm finished. Any way to avoid it?

Your problems sprout from the fact that your team is monotype. At S&M, rating a monotype team doesn't' necessarily work because you are so limited, and with psychic having to be a type on all of your pokemon, you're shut down by stuff like SD/CBScizor, Gengar, Tyranitar, and the list goes on. Each of these pokemon, in addition to just be threatening to your team, is also widely popular. Tyranitar sits at #3 in usage (or near there), and if you find yourself up against him, your only insurance is Metagross or a Hydro from Starmie. Thing is, those two can easily be handled by stuff like Scizor.

My only suggestion is that unless you're playing by a specific rule that states you must have a monotype team (and in which case, we cannot rate such a team), try building a non-mono team first. Monotype teams are too hard to win with as each of your pokemon share the same weakness.

Sorry if this sounded harsh. D; I hope it doesn't come off that way.

Ryukouki

BW Metagame Player
    Years
    • Seen May 5, 2011
    Heh, that's why the Smogon people hated me so much. No worry, and thanks for the effort!

Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2013
    Even thought all that Aero said is true i guess at least it can be improve the way it plays and it manages each threat.

For example if you use espeon your saying to the foes; Hey don´t set up on me until you kill espeon !! so it would be wise starting with a slow lead so they think they can set up or taunt you first, just to get tricked and fall on espeon´s bounce. After this one of the most common switch ins are scizor and Genesect so instead of using hidden power fighting use hidden power fire to knock them out on the switch and then you set up screens so far there are three advantages; you set up his own hazard entries and knock out or at least made damaged to one of their pokes and lastly you gave support to your team with screens.

Imo you should change starmie for a Slowbro with regerator and trick room since that will greatly help cuz you already have a rapid spinner on the team, plus a slowbro with boiled water/Psychoshock/trick room and recover or other attack like fireblast on it will be helpful to maybe burn some other switch in pokemon that maybe troublesome, also slowbro has a great defense and hp already and couple with screens its even durable not to mention regenerator, another advantage its the trick room, since it right now rain teams, sandstorm teams, sun teams and most of the meta relys on speed you can gain advantage from that situation so gallade, claydol, exegguttor and the same slowbro can gain advantage from this situations and thanks to slowbro enhanced durability it makes him be the best trick roomer there is, besides slowbro has the same typing as starmie does and you will use slowbro couple with the screens as a physicall defense and latias as a especial defense.

you should give trick to latias instead of dragon pulse that way you can shut down posible set up pokemon on stat boosters and it will also help to make your opponent more predictable at the same time giving you more endurance thanks to a stolen leftovers or at least cancel weather damage with it, its better to use that trick during a free switch in or during mid game. That gallade it´s fantastic ive used him since 4th gen and its awesome and now is even better than before thanks to drain punch boost, but you should consider at least making him reach 223 speed stat so you can at least outrun adamant max speed tyranitar.

There are only two Dark/ghost types Sableye which its mostly used as an annoyer with prankster and often doesnt carry a direct damaging move they mostly use nightmare and etc you can take him down with espeon usually. and the other one spiritomb is the only one it may give you trouble you,ll have to guess if its a physical one or a special one to pick the right pokemon to battle with if its physical slowbro will be better option and in the other case latias to strike him down with draco meteor but watch out for calm mind variants, and remember with the screens you can play around them.

For the lead position i guess claydol or exegguttor will play better roles there cuz you have resistances to many other attacks in the team (to the exception of the common ones) the only thing you should really watch out for its zoroark, most dark types and jellycent mostly and well thats all i have for now hope i help a bit at least :)

edit: i almost forgot metagross should also be considered it would be aid by trick room, you need at least one or two physical sweepers, also priority maybe necessary a lot of times, he only has two weaknesses which you can both managed (levitate and slowbro, latias) and you could also use psychoshift sigilyph in place of exegguttor or claydol.

Last edited:
    Back