• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Out with the Old and In With the New

darkpokeball

Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o
Years
  • With Pokemon X and Y being fully 3-D, are you afraid you might lose a feature in order to cram 700+ pokemon, a storyline, post-game, etc. in one tiny cartridge? What would you rather lose? What would you like to keep?

I can see them getting rid of Triple Battles...those kind of got boring after a while as they all go the same way. Normal, double, and rotation battles are keepers though. I was thinking that they might get rid of a few hidden mechanics like IV's/EV's. If so, I sincerely hope they get rid of the Masuda Method coding and anything that makes shinies easier to get. It just feels so great when you meet a shiny by luck, and you know that the same shiny can't just be gotten with a few clicks through RNG'ing.

Sirfetch’d

NO! Evs and Ivs will have to stay. The games wont be the same without them. All pokemon of the same species would be the same. I dont think we will lose any features tbh. GF will be able to fit everything on one cartridge.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • With Pokemon X and Y being fully 3-D, are you afraid you might lose a feature in order to cram 700+ pokemon, a storyline, post-game, etc. in one tiny cartridge? What would you rather lose? What would you like to keep?

I can see them getting rid of Triple Battles...those kind of got boring after a while as they all go the same way. Normal, double, and rotation battles are keepers though. I was thinking that they might get rid of a few hidden mechanics like IV's/EV's. If so, I sincerely hope they get rid of the Masuda Method coding and anything that makes shinies easier to get. It just feels so great when you meet a shiny by luck, and you know that the same shiny can't just be gotten with a few clicks through RNG'ing.
    IV's and EV's won't be going anywhere. Pokémon has grown consistently more competitive since the beginning of Gen III and I don't see them dropping that. It's too much of an important factor in the games and it's a big thing for competitive players.

Moving onto the 3DS platform gives them more room to expand on things, it doesn't necessarily mean we'd be losing out on some of the bigger or smaller mechanics and features that have been introduced to us just because the graphics will be in 3D and they'll be over 700 Pokémon. If anything, they should be able to do even more since they're finally moving forward from the DS platform.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • If they got rid of IVs and EVs they'd have no game, those are two aspects which have basically defined the Pokemon franchise whether you were aware of them or not. I doubt they would get rid of the Masuda Method, which was included to encourage trading over the GTS, which they'll still want to do since it's become a selling point in the franchise.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Getting rid of EVs and IVs is not going to happen. Even in gen I, there was some sort of system. Scrapping EVs and IVs would be drastic to the competitive community and they wouldn't do that.

I'm opposite of the OP though. Scrap rotation and keep triple battles, please!

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Triple battles: sayonara.

Rotation battles of two to six Pokémon: yes, please. Though there is one annoying aspect in that you are forced to guess what Pokémon will come out; I once got skunked in the Opelucid Battle House when I guessed wrong. Twice. Still won the battle, but my type triangle didn't really gain from it.

Cyclone

Yuoaman

Years
  • Getting rid of EVs and IVs is not going to happen. Even in gen I, there was some sort of system. Scrapping EVs and IVs would be drastic to the competitive community and they wouldn't do that.

I'm opposite of the OP though. Scrap rotation and keep triple battles, please!

HERESY, WOMAN.

Rotation battles are about thinking three steps ahead of your enemy, triple battles are about having a lot of sprites on screen to show them off.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Rotation battles are about thinking three steps ahead of your enemy, triple battles are about having a lot of sprites on screen to show them off.

But that's what I prefer. I never said everyone else had to prefer it. I like the strategy + team work that double battles created, and I feel that triples amped that up and it's what I enjoy. I dislike rotation because you have three Pokemon out, but you're only using one at once. Bit of a tease imo. And I just find them annoying and they take longer. I doubt either of them are going to be scrapped anyway. They'll probably end up scrapping something that was unanimously liked, like asking if you want to spray another Repel after your last one fades. Usually when something gets taken away from us, it's something most people really liked. FOLLOW ME FEATURE WHERE ARE YOU :(

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I don't think we'll really lose anything except for the minigames being the musicals and pokestar studios. Most other things in B2/W2 and BW were fine, and given it's a bigger console there might be more space...? (not sure how exactly it works, though, but I'm assuming there's more memory capabilities than ones designed fro the DS).

Sir Codin

I thought rotation battles were actually pretty fun, but triple battles were just boring, so I won't shed a tear if they got rid of them.

Get rid of Musicals. They weren't any more fun than Contests, so I never really got that involved with them (even less than Contests in Gen III). Even PokeStar Studios and PokeAthelon were more fun.

They need to keep World Tournament.

Also, it's been said to death, but they're very unlikely to get rid of the EV/IV system. It's been one of the most important mechanics behind competitive play since the very beginning.

@Sydian: With all due respect, I freaking loved it when it asked if I wanted to use another repel after the previous one faded. Saved a lot of time from not having to pause and scroll through my menu all the time.

Yuoaman

Years
  • But that's what I prefer. I never said everyone else had to prefer it. I like the strategy + team work that double battles created, and I feel that triples amped that up and it's what I enjoy. I dislike rotation because you have three Pokemon out, but you're only using one at once. Bit of a tease imo. And I just find them annoying and they take longer. I doubt either of them are going to be scrapped anyway. They'll probably end up scrapping something that was unanimously liked, like asking if you want to spray another Repel after your last one fades. Usually when something gets taken away from us, it's something most people really liked. FOLLOW ME FEATURE WHERE ARE YOU :(

I was just joking, you silly.

And yeah, Game Freak has proven that their best features will only ever be in one game/duo.

Sir Codin

The best thing about the Pokemon Following feature was the hilarious dialogue you'd sometimes get in HGSS.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
    Years

Yes to all these xD
    However, I don't want IV's and EV's gone, they just seem too secretive, so when I do it, I don't feel like I'm actually following the game's method, it doesn't feel legit xD

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    The only thing I'm really hoping they scrap is B/W's experience system. I'd enjoy something a little more stable again.
    I don't mind the quick leveling of inexperienced Pokémon. I absolutely detest the fact that leveling is just that much harder after a certaini point. I haven't bothered to train to Lv.100 for this very reason. I don't plan to cheat my way there, either. Around Lv.75 it's hard enough getting leveled up even on Audino battles; it can take five or six to gain a level even with a Lucky Egg attached in some cases.

(And yes, I still have to do the second E4 in Black as well. I have a lot of low 70s there, generally maxing at Lv.75 while I get others up there.)

Cyclone

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • @Sydian: With all due respect, I freaking loved it when it asked if I wanted to use another repel after the previous one faded. Saved a lot of time from not having to pause and scroll through my menu all the time.

I'm not saying I don't like the feature, lol. I mean it's something that most people enjoyed, but watch them just remove it because it was such a minor change, or being able to swap items between two Pokemon on the Pokemon menu instead of having to go back and forth between the bag. Ughhh. That'd be a pain.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    I'm not saying I don't like the feature, lol. I mean it's something that most people enjoyed, but watch them just remove it because it was such a minor change, or being able to swap items between two Pokemon on the Pokemon menu instead of having to go back and forth between the bag. Ughhh. That'd be a pain.
    Finding I could quickly move my Exp. Share or Lucky Egg to the next Pokémon I'm training is a nice time-saver, even if it only saves me five-ten seconds. However, new items - or items taken from Pokémon - now go to the bottom of the list instead of the top. I will have to organize my Free Space (another neat little add) better with the things I use often.

Cyclone

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Finding I could quickly move my Exp. Share or Lucky Egg to the next Pokémon I'm training is a nice time-saver, even if it only saves me five-ten seconds. However, new items - or items taken from Pokémon - now go to the bottom of the list instead of the top. I will have to organize my Free Space (another neat little add) better with the things I use often.

Again, it's a feature I like. lol...Maybe I'm reading things wrong. Every time someone replies to me, I feel like they think I dislike the feature I was talking about. I love that feature I mentioned. ;( Sorry if I'm making it sound like I don't. I'm just basically saying that they will likely end up removing a minor change that most people enjoyed.

But now that you mention organization, I hope they remove the weird TM organization they added. All the TMs get put into your case in the order you get them in B2W2 instead of in numerical order. Why was THAT implemented? That's silly. I hope that if they get rid of anything, they get rid of that and just bring back the old system of organizing them by number, while allowing other options like alphabetical or type order.

Bring back L = A while I'm at it.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    No, Sydian, I was just voicing my own opinion on the feature since it was brought up. I was making no perception on your own statement earlier. :)

As for TMs, I agree. However, they now let you sort them by name, so they have to let the folder collect them in the same way. In a sense, it's not all bad; you can see before a Gym Battle what new TMs you picked up and haven't used before sorting them into place.

Cyclone

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I hope they don't remove the repel and item switch between party additions in B2W2, I liked those.

If they have to remove something remove the minigame...though I doubt they'll take anything except for Battle subway and PWT of course.

Back