• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen "So... are you a male or female?"

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
When kicking off your gameplay, which character did you wind up selecting--female or male? Why did you choose them, and what name did you give to them? If you were to restart, would you select this character, or would you go with the opposite? :]

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
In all Pokemon games, I usually go with the female character and name her Karen, after myself, at least for the first playthrough. I really liked the customization aspect of XY - if I restart I may go with the male character just to see all the clothing options.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
I choose the female characters instead of the male characters because they usually have better designs, and in X and Y there's cute clothes and so much more you can do.

Years
I always play as the female, so this game was no exception. She also ended up with the better customization options so yeah nice to see it was more generous to female players in that regard. If I were to restart, I'll probably go female again or pick the boy in the opposite version.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
Years
I play as the boy, because I can relate. Also, I always feel inclined to use water types when I do play as the girl, for some reason, and I don't care much for water type starters most of the time.

Pinta77

I picked the boy. I used to always pick the girl, but my friends would make fun of me when I was younger. Now it's just stuck with me to always choose the boy.

In my first playthrough I named the boy "Evan". My name.

In the second playthrough I named my character Big McDee. Try not to think about the name too hard...

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2014
I usually pick the fan favorite of the artists, which means that I am usually going with the female except for Red and Gold, although I did make an exception for Kyouhei.

My sister usually pick the opposite character but took Serena in her second playthrough after she realized how poor the clothing selection was for a male.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
Because of the player customizability and increased online interactivity, this was the first time where I didn't had to think before choosing the character gender that matched my actual gender (male). I really wanted to make an avatar that represented me. :P Shame I couldn't get curly hair or short height...

I was kinda disappointed to find out how limited the male was in customizability compared to the female. I might choose female in Z-version (or whatever it will be called) if the male doesn't get nearly the same amount of options. >.<

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 5, 2023
I chose female and like the poster above me, wanted my character to represent me. Also a shame there was no curly hair or short height for me. :P But I found a nice red outfit that I quite like and would probably re-use in a different playthrough. Only thing I'd do differently is perhaps choose a bit of a lighter skin since I think I made my character a bit more tan than I am. Still, I quite like her as she looks really sort of unique and I don't see others using the darker skin colors very much, so perhaps I'll just stick with that anyway.

Also, named her Arylett, of course. :3

Pikapia

The One Who Will Destroy Everything
Years
I went with a female character, and named her Zara (as I always do :P). I gave her the lightest skin tone, and ever since then I've been changing her outfit loads. So far, my favourite outfit is a really, really, really expensive outfit I bought from that expensive shop in Lumiose City. It's red and black, and kinda like a posher version of a school girl uniform - the kind that you'd wear to a boarding school, or private school, or something. :/ I've also given her long black pigtails and 'bangs', and green eyes. I'm so glad I could customize my character, it made me so happy! ^_^ In the next Pokémon game where you can change your character (probably Omega Ruby... hopefully), I'll probably have a very similar character to my Pokémon Y girl, but I'm hoping I can give her purple hair or something. :chu:

As for a second playthrough, I'm not planning to restart. My character will be the same, and I'm currently catching them all! *laughs maniacally* So I'll never restart. I've only ever restarted my game in SoulSilver - I keep getting side-tracked with White 2 and Y, so I forget what I'm doing in SoulSilver. So I pretty much have to restart every. Single. Time. Oh well!

Last edited:
Years
I went with the female and named her after myself as has been my tradition ever since you could pick the girl character :) If I was restarting I'd pick her again as I've yet to see a male protagonist that I like as much as Gold/Brendan. Plus, the apparent lack of male customization is definitely a deciding factor in that haha :)

LavenderTownGhost

Returning to Hoenn
Years
I ordered my copy of X yesterday, and intend to choose the female. I absolutely love her design and customization options!

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Female, because I'm a girl and I liked her outfit and such. :) I'm glad I did - the outfit choosing for girls was really fun, however, it set me up for disappointment when I played as a boy and had less outfit choices D:

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
I always play as the male and use "Jay" for my trainer name, which is actually the abbreviated version of my real name. This despite the fact the clothing options weren't as varied.

Years
I'm glad I did - the outfit choosing for girls was really fun, however, it set me up for disappointment when I played as a boy and had less outfit choices D:

I think giving female trainers more options was a good trick done by Game Freak to encourage more people to play as the female trainer, since in past game I barely saw many choosing the female over the male, and even if they liked the female's design better it still wasn't as prevalent as the male.

PSNGhost

God-Emperor
Years
I've never once played as a female character. Not trying to be sexist (actually I'm pretty big on women's rights, but that's a way different topic. ) it's just when I was a kid the whole rp thing was foreign to me, I had no clue why you'd name your character something else if it was supposed to be you. I might try it sometime, but me and my gf like to do almost a co-op thing together when new games come out, and I think that might disrupt that. Besides, all my competitive mons/shinies are on X and I'm currently (as you can see from my sig) Nuzlocking Y, so.... Derp.

Years
I went down the female path as it's my gender irl. The customization feature was another reason to push me to pick the girl character since I've always adored the dressing up aspects given how many cute options were available. Go pink. ;P

Back