• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Takin' it into the past!

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    If you were, someday, given a chance of taking any feature from future-generation of Pokémon games into some game within past--Red, Blue, and Yellow, for example--what would it be, and why? Would you expect this to be causing much change as a whole, if at all? Would this particular feature go by a different name, or would it still be called what it is known as today?

Personally, one thing I would definitely consider implementing is removal of TM limitation in Ruby and Sapphire--basically, what they'd done in Pokémon Black and White. Physically, TMs and HMs are some disc of sorts, and if latter could last forever and have unlimited amount of use, why not former? In generation five of games, I believe this is one thing that many of us were fond of, including me.

Another thing would likely have to be inclusion of fairy-type; few of us aren't familiar with it as of yet, but will at some point in future, but had this been introduced sooner, it likely wouldn't have been an issue by now. Competitively, it could have been fully incorporated. Same goes for any other type that they might be planning to release in some future generation.

Years
  • I think the physical/special split is something I would have liked to see in Ruby and Sapphire. At that time there were quite a few Pokémon with good attacking stats but didn't have the moves to use them right. It was something that DP got right, at least.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • I have to agree with both. The Physical/Special split was amazing and it would've made so many Pokémon so much better in the early days like Gyarados. Unlimited TMs would made it so that if you had two Pokémon that could utilize one move very well they could both have it, which would be very advantageous.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Bringing physical-special split into generation three rather than four does sound nice; in terms of competitive, it would have made us develop current-day-like strategies more early. Also, I've always wondered how it would have been had they introduced character-customization into either gen four or five of games (especially former, since it's got more of a 2D graphical style); might've been pretty intriguing.

Years
  • Infinite TM usage should have been implemented as early as 3rd Gen because I remember playing any pre-5th Gen game and man it was so hard to decide on a moveset because I didn't want to waste good TMs.

Physical/Special split as well, like Pendraflare and Wicked said. I remember playing 3rd Gen and I didn't even know that some Pokemon back then sucked because their type geared towards the attacking stat that their moves didn't, like Sneasel or Gyarados.

Another interesting one, I would have wanted Fairy-type implemented back in... 4th or 5th Gen as opposed to 6th Gen. It would have taken more time for people to get used to instead of introducing it in the newest generation.

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
    Years
  • If you were, someday, given a chance of taking any feature from future-generation of Pokémon games into some game within past--Red, Blue, and Yellow, for example--what would it be, and why? Would you expect this to be causing much change as a whole, if at all? Would this particular feature go by a different name, or would it still be called what it is known as today?

Personally, one thing I would definitely consider implementing is removal of TM limitation in Ruby and Sapphire--basically, what they'd done in Pokémon Black and White. Physically, TMs and HMs are some disc of sorts, and if latter could last forever and have unlimited amount of use, why not former? In generation five of games, I believe this is one thing that many of us were fond of, including me.

Another thing would likely have to be inclusion of fairy-type; few of us aren't familiar with it as of yet, but will at some point in future, but had this been introduced sooner, it likely wouldn't have been an issue by now. Competitively, it could have been fully incorporated. Same goes for any other type that they might be planning to release in some future generation.

I would definitely love the character customization in the earlier generations - even with the hardware and software limitations, the customizations that they gave us in XY weren't too graphically intensive, either, so I don't see that becoming a problem.

I honestly feel that the release of Fairy this generation was timed right. Introducing Fairy in the earlier generations would be a la Psychic in generation one, due to there not being enough capable Poison, Fire and Steel Types in that generation to keep faries in check. Talonflame, Aegislash et cetera were only introduced this generation. In addition, the metagame was not as balanced in the earlier generations if you don't count the BW era - it would literally result in Fairies completely dominating the metagame more than Dragons had ever done.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • I feel old when I know Gyarados had quite good Sp.Atk. in RBY. 298 max Special was pretty good for attacking, and Gyarados has a good Special movepool.

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
    Years
  • I feel old when I know Gyarados had quite good Sp.Atk. in RBY. 298 max Special was pretty good for attacking, and Gyarados has a good Special movepool.

Most of the things and mechanics in RBY were pretty weird or weren't functional. Water/Flying seems that it would be physical because of its design. But in RBY there wasn't the speical/physical split, so I wouldn't have any qualms about slapping Special attacks on it. Looking at the Smogon analysis, it seems there was only a 25 point difference in Attack and Special Attack at that time, but it's come a long way from then.

It has a way better physical movepool. Admit it.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I have to agree that infinite TM usage and the physical/special split should've been a thing since R/B/Y. And the Special split should've been a thing from the beginning as well and not first appear in Gen II.

But I think it would've been interesting if Abilities were in Gen I. Or at least if Pokemon didn't have such ass level-up movepools back then.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I feel old when I know Gyarados had quite good Sp.Atk. in RBY. 298 max Special was pretty good for attacking, and Gyarados has a good Special movepool.

I was never aware of that, actually, but then again, I didn't tend to pay much attention to stats back then; mostly, what I've cared for is appearance.

Though, Gyarados having its Special Attack sacrificed for betterment of Attack isn't all too bad, really; it was given access to a lot of decent physical moves over the years which it could take decent advantage of, such as Waterfall, Stone Edge, Earthquake, and Bounce. Aside from that, it is also able to learn Dragon Dance, which makes Gyarados much easier to utilize as physical sweeper, I believe.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    My first reaction was adding the Vs. Seeker to RBY, since there wasn't anything to do besides challenge the Elite Four after you beat the rest of the game, but I suppose that change was already tackled in FRLG. I also would like to have seen unlimited TMs in the older games, since I generally was too stingy to use any TM that I couldn't get unlimited copies of, and as a result, my Pokemon never had very good moves. Also, speeding up breeding in GSC would be nice (e.g., hatching O-power, some equivalent of using a flame body Pokemon to cut hatching steps (maybe in the form of a key item), etc.), as I was generally too lazy to breed much in GSC because it took so long.

Back