• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How many shinny pokemon have you encountered?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    My list of shinies isn't very extensive:

-Magnemite, Ruby
    -Roselia, Platinum
    -Wingull, Y (from a horde)
    -Aron, Y (my first Masuda Method shiny)

EDIT: And just now I caught a shiny Pikachu and a shiny Electrode, just minutes apart, in an Electric type Friend Safari.
    EDIT 2: Caught a shiny Scraggy while horde EV training.

I have more than that, but they're either ones that come shiny like the Red Gyarados or were obtained in a trade.

There was also this one time in Soul Silver that I encountered a shiny Beedrill in the Bug Catching contest, but I wasn't able to catch it. And that Magnemite was my first ever shiny, caught about 10 years ago. It later became a Magnezone that helped me through my first run of Platinum.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    -Red: My Blastoise on my third playthrough had the right IVs to be shiny in Stadium 2 or when traded to GSC. Too bad I never really got to enjoy that, since I liked leaving my starter on Red. I don't think my other gen I games had shinies on them, but I never really checked the rest of my Pokemon to see if they would be shiny.
    -Gold: Hundreds of hours, no shinies (save the red Gyarados). (I did find a shiny Caterpie on an emulator run through Gold, though.)
    -Silver: Mareep and Sneasel. This was on something of a throwaway play after the battery on Gold died. I think they're safely stored on Stadium 2.
    -Crystal: No shinies.
    -Sapphire: Spinda (found when EV training in SpA).
    -Emerald: Nincada, found about three hours in.
    -LeafGreen: No shinies (again, several hundred hours).
    -Diamond: Hatched a shiny Squirtle, 60 eggs, 35th one hatched. I've hatched plenty of RNG'd shinies, but that Squirtle was random. I found a shiny Larvitar with the Pokeradar (tried to chain a lot, but never had any luck besides that once).
    -Pearl, Platinum, HG, SS, and B/W: No randomly encountered shinies.
    -White 2: Shiny Skorupi, but I was paired up with an NPC, and she killed the Skorupi on turn 1. I unfortunately didn't have a Pokemon out that could knock out her lead before she could act. So sad.
    -X: I hatched a shiny Squirtle (MM'd) and Swirlix (unintentional, though MM'd as well). I've two shiny Horsea via chain fishing, and found a shiny Wartortle in the Safari Zone. Still want my perfect shiny Squirtle, but haven't been able to get it.
    -Y: No shinies.

So overall, I find I tend to get shinies when I'm not looking for them. Until recently, I've also had better luck on games with very few hours (e.g., Silver, Emerald) than on those with more playtime.

CJoE

スマイルは無料で? ?? �� �� ��
    Years
  • I only caught a shiny corphish in emerald..it cost me 16 great ball..i also seen a shiny abra in crystal but it got away.. Herrr~

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    I haven't cought many shinies, and none in x-y thus far. Lets see...

Fire Red: pidgey (kept, its gold :D)

Soul silver: ekans (cought, erased save like an idiot) electrode (caught, didnt even know it was shiny until long after the save was gone)

Years
  • Leaf Green: Shiny Primeape at Victory Road

Emerald: Shiny Hariyama at Victory Road

Platinum: Shiny Gastly at Old Chateau and Shiny Floatzel at Route 230

X: I have almost whole box of Shinies, every single one but Unfeazant and Ditto are from breeding via Masuda Method. Whole Eeveelution family + 3 Eevees with Anticipation and different egg moves, 2 Charizards (M and F), 2 Milotics (M and F), Feebas, Butterfree, Fennekin, Braixen, Delphox(yes, I have whole evo line), Sandslash, Absol, Spheal, Rotom, and Ninetales.

Mylabugz

Mylakip
    Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2017
    I haven't caught one yet V.V. I have pokemon X and if that theory is right about the 110hours I wonder why I haven't seen any?

Raezioo

Mister Mohawk
    Years
  • Pokémon Diamond
    Route 217, a green Machoke... I just had to name it Hulk.

My first and last shiny I encountered :p And randomly that is, no chaining or whatever. It had a modest nature but oh well, it's a shiny :p

Hero of Twilight

Rest in Peace Iwata.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2016
    Diamond: Bidoof, wooper (fainted), weepinbell, machoke
    FireRed: Raticate
    Emerald: Graveler (fainted)
    Black: Heracross (trade)

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2015
    I have a few!
    my first I think was a shiny deino on my japanese pokemon white. then I lost the game, and was so crushed. :c but I have it again now.
    on soulsilver I've found four: rattata, oddish, golbat and ursaring.
    on pokemon y I found a shiny kangaskhan.

~Justified~

~Working On A New Rom Hack~
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2015
    Sadly the only Shiny Pokemon I've encountered have been on emulators so there was no way of transferring them to my Nintendo DS Systems :(

Anyway, here's a list of them:
    Rattata {Pokemon Red, Blue, or Yellow, Can't Remember Which}
    Sentret {Pokemon Gold, Silver, or Crystal, Can't Remember Which}
    Pidgey {Pokemon FireRed}
    Zigzagoon {Pokemon Emerald}
    Patrat {Pokemon White 2}

Funny how all of them are encountered in the first routes of the game lol I have good luck on emulators I guess, but the same cannot be said for the games I play on my DS.

Years
  • I caught only one shiny in Pokemon games, it was a blue Electrode! It was sooo nice :) i found it in the zone where you can find Zapdos in Pokemon FireRed

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Bank says I have 105 shinies. I'm just going to go with that and not even try to count in the shinies I have on gen II-V games.

Most recent shiny encounter was an Ekans on my French Silver, though. Shame I can't transfer him! French shinies are the best shinies! ;)

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • Here are the shinies I have, grouped by generation in which I found them:

• Gen 2:
      • A shiny Spearow I accidentally found while looking for a Heracross. I caught it with no problem.
      • One I didn't catch: a shiny Graveler in Mt Silver that used Self-Destruct as its first move.
    • Gen 3:
      • A shiny Slowpoke in Berry Forest that I caught.
    • Gen 4:
      • A shiny Weezing not far from Mt Stark. I didn't even have good Balls on me (mostly Luxury Balls) and I was very lucky to catch it before it could use a self-destructing move.
      • A shiny Turtwig I bred on complete accident.
    • Gen 5:
      • A shiny Audino. I wasn't even Audino grinding or anything, I walked into a patch of grass before realizing it was rustling, and there it was.
    • Gen 6:
      • A shiny Polywag met in a horde encounter.
      • Probably the only shiny Pokémon I actually worked for: a shiny Hoppip. I just stood in the grass in front of the Daycare, a Shiny Charm in hand, and a Combee on my team, and kept spamming Sweet Scent to trigger horde encounters until something shiny popped up.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    1. 0
    2. nil
    3. zip
    4. zilch
    5. nada
    6. nix
    7. none

I've played Crystal, Sapphire, Firered, Black 2 and Y.

Bellum

I'm Rin. Rin Okumura.
    Years
  • Oh gawd. I've been pretty lucky with shinies.
    Okay, here's my list in order:

Charmander (Fire red starter)
    Vulpix (Fuligin [Rom hack])
    Trapinch (Also from Fuligin)
    Audino (Black 2)
    Bulbasaur (Emerald randomizer catch)
    Psyduck (Y)
    Gliscor (Wondertrade on Y)
    Riolu (Black 2)
    Ditto (Wondertrade on Y)
    Bulbasaur (Fire red starter)

All are 100% legitimate :)
    Also, all the ones I encountered, I caught

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
  • All in all, I've found and caught 4 shinies by random encounters.

Psyduck on Emerald - save file lost
    Magnemite on HG
    Audino on Black
    Magby on Black 2

Years
  • My very first shiny was a Golbat on Diamond, I'm gutted that I don't have it anymore cause I restarted my game without realising how valuable shinies are lol xD

The rest I've got I obtained all on X :) The two that I legitimately found myself were a shiny Relincanth and, not long after, a shiny Clawitzer :) I also brought over my shiny Gyarados from SS :)

I also have a shiny Honchkrow I obtained off the GTS, and through Wonder Trade a shiny Chespin (now a Chesnaught); Garchomp; Haxorus and Poliwhirl (which evolved into Politoed... I was a wee bit disappointed cause I was freaking out at the thought of having a shiny Poliwrath which imo looks AMAZING, but I shouldn't complain; a shiny's still a shiny haha!) :)

Tirion

Lint Magnet
    Years
  • In my hundreds upon hundreds of hours of Pokemon played in my life, I have only ever encountered a single shiny Pokemon. It was a pidgey. I had no idea what shinies were and thought I was just seeing things and that all pidgeys must look like that.

So I killed it.

{D:}

Back