• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Essentials Tutorial] Transparent Speech Box

thor348

That's Oak to You
Years
  • Her's a quick tutorial for those who want to make some speech bubbles transparent.

So here is how the final product will look like:

Here's what you do:
    1) Go to your Graphics Folder then the Windowskins Folder
    2) Copy and paste a copy of "frlgtextskin.png" and rename it whatever you'd like.
    This is how it should look:

3) Go into any image editor you prefer (I use Paint.Net) and change the copied image transparency to however you would like it.
    4) Now just by doing this, you cannot change to it in the game. First you'll have to go into the script editor and add a line.
    5) So go into the script editor and click on the "PokemonOptions" section.
    6) Now scroll down to the part, "Stores game options" (for me it's at line 200)
    7) You'll see where it says "# Default text skin - frlgtextskin"
    8) Scroll down until you see "textbox19",
    9) Now adjust it to where it looks like this:

10) Once you've done that, you can now change the window skin via Event Command.
    Here's Where:

There ya go! Request anything, I'll try to help

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I don't recommend that you use the "Change Windowskin" event command, because it overrides the windowskin the player has chosen to use without remembering which one they were using. Your example changes it back to frlgtextskin, but it's entirely possible that they were using a different one instead, and this mucking around will annoy them.

Either use the \w[X] message command instead, or use scripts to remember and restore the user's windowskin.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen today
    I agree with Maruno and think that his way is simpler and the player also can't change the active windowskin to a transparent one.

You can also change the alpha value of color attribute of windowskin properties, is harder, but is the right way and match to all windowskins.

Back