• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Standard or Extended?

classicpaul64

PokeTuber
Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2016
    Hey everyone!

So my girlfriend and I are getting more into the Pokemon TCG, and we've decided to make two decks of our own to play against each other, and possibly go to a league at an LGS.

The thing is, we are unsure as to what kind of decks we should build, as I've seen there's now a Standard and an Extended format.

Her deck is based on Delphox EX, Charizard EX, and normal Delphox, with alot of trainers to cycle through the deck to get the pieces we need, while mine is centered around Togekiss with Serene Grace and Aromatisse and a few other Fairy-Type pokemon.

I could put the full decklists if its needed/wanted, but I'm wondering what goes when it comes to these newer cards. Both of these decks are legal in the extended format, but I don't know if we'd be able to go to Leagues with them. Back when the Plasma decks were first coming out, I had gone to a weekend Pokemon League with a Team Plasma deck and that was alright at the time but only because it was only cards from that set I was using.

Thanks to anyone who helps <3

Years
  • Hey everyone!

So my girlfriend and I are getting more into the Pokemon TCG, and we've decided to make two decks of our own to play against each other, and possibly go to a league at an LGS.

The thing is, we are unsure as to what kind of decks we should build, as I've seen there's now a Standard and an Extended format.

Her deck is based on Delphox EX, Charizard EX, and normal Delphox, with alot of trainers to cycle through the deck to get the pieces we need, while mine is centered around Togekiss with Serene Grace and Aromatisse and a few other Fairy-Type pokemon.

I could put the full decklists if its needed/wanted, but I'm wondering what goes when it comes to these newer cards. Both of these decks are legal in the extended format, but I don't know if we'd be able to go to Leagues with them. Back when the Plasma decks were first coming out, I had gone to a weekend Pokemon League with a Team Plasma deck and that was alright at the time but only because it was only cards from that set I was using.

Thanks to anyone who helps <3

It's 100% dependent on the league you choose to visit. Some leagues play standard, some play extended, and some play unlimited.

Electricbluewolf

Bᴇ pıɟɟǝɹǝuʇ
    Years
  • Like mentioned, different leagues do play different styles-some play expanded all the time, some play standard all the time, some play a mixture.

If you're asking what you should practice with, personally I try to make decks for Standards, only because then I don't have to change it around for Expanded much. Also when new sets come out and the rotation changes I don't lose so many cards as if based 100% on Expanded

Back