• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Most weird/unusual songs of 2014?

Years
  • I've seen a few older threads that discussed best, worst or most annoying music from years like 2012 or 2013, so I figured i'd do something. Even though 2014 is still only 2/3 done i'm sure many have gotten their share of music, enough to answer this question. So, what are songs you've heard this year that are just really weird to you? They don't have to be songs you consider "bad" per se, just unusual like you have no clue what you were just listening to.

I'll start this with a prime example: Anaconda by Nicki Minaj. I saw that song advertised by Vevo, with the main beat of Baby Got Back with adjustments. And I heard some girls at a tennis court on campus playing it while I was passing by, so I checked it out for myself. As soon as I saw the video - almost 1.1 million ratings, with over a third of the like/dislike bar being dislikes, I wondered what the heck am I getting myself into. And I was not expecting a full-fledged Baby Got Back take. Seriously, it felt like almost the same thing in so many ways.

How about you? What have you heard this year that was just crazy or odd to you? Discuss.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Chinese Children by Devendra Banhart

It's.. very unusual. Catchy and fun to listen to, but unusual.

Reactions: £
    Years

• The song by itself isn't so weird, but the video... (I recommend watching the uncensored version which you'll have to google for but only if you are desensitised to like everything).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2014
    Drake Bell - *****craft. It is very catchy, but not what you would expect from a Nickelodeon Child Star.

Rest

Showstealer Pro: Trial Version
    Years

• The song by itself isn't so weird, but the video... (I recommend watching the uncensored version which you'll have to google for but only if you are desensitised to like everything).

My man. I love that group.

From the same album clppng., the time signature changes in this track are insane and so out-there. Definitely one of my favorite tracks of this year so far.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022

The best part about this is that Jennifer Lopez is 45 years old and she still thinks she can shock people with the fact that she actually has a physical body. Yeah nice caption too.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Anaconda by Nicki Minaj is definitely up there. The video and lyrics both pretty much explain why it is both weird and unusual. Having said that I do like the song. 8)

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Kind of confused why Anaconda is mentioned so much. I think the only part of Anaconda that's really strange is Nicki Minaj's laugh in it around the middle of the song. But the rest of the song? There's been soooo many Top 40 songs about sex in just this year alone. What makes Anaconda anymore strange than those?

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
    Years
  • Meghan Trainor - All About That Bass

It's so... obnoxious
    The video seriously freaks me out
    Not to mention, WHAT IS HER OBSESSION WITH BASS?

This better not start a bass-heavy trend >_>

Poki

Banned
    Years
  • Sia - Chandelier

I'm forced to listen to bad music whenever I'm at mum's salon, so yeah. The video's just weird as ****.

Years
  • Anaconda by Nicki Minaj is definitely up there. The video and lyrics both pretty much explain why it is both weird and unusual. Having said that I do like the song. 8)

This is pretty much my least fave Nicki Minaj song ever, period. The butt shaking was enough to make me hate it. Still I think this year has brought out some interesting stuff.

Years
  • Kind of confused why Anaconda is mentioned so much. I think the only part of Anaconda that's really strange is Nicki Minaj's laugh in it around the middle of the song. But the rest of the song? There's been soooo many Top 40 songs about sex in just this year alone. What makes Anaconda anymore strange than those?

I'm willing to guess the fact that the song rips off of a well known 90's hit with both the main beat and one of its lyrics (well, two) to a music video with Nicki Minaj and a bunch of other ladies in a tropical setting shaking their butts (not to mention the end where she gives Drake a lap dance) has something to do with it.

Meghan Trainor - All About That Bass

It's so... obnoxious
    The video seriously freaks me out
    Not to mention, WHAT IS HER OBSESSION WITH BASS?

This better not start a bass-heavy trend >_>

That's not my problem with the song, for me it's her insanely high pitched voice that kills it for me.

Sia - Chandelier

I'm forced to listen to bad music whenever I'm at mum's salon, so yeah. The video's just weird as ****.

Yeah I will agree I wasn't the biggest fan of the video for that song, but I find the song cool on its own at least.

This is pretty much my least fave Nicki Minaj song ever, period. The butt shaking was enough to make me hate it. Still I think this year has brought out some interesting stuff.

As cheesy as the song is, I dare say that I don't think the same (that it's my least favorite of hers). For me that would go to "BOOBS BOOBS BOOBS BOOBS LOTTA BOOBS" (read: I Endorse These Strippers), but that's irrelevant to this thread.

Years
  • I never said I hated Anaconda by any means, I just found it insanely cheesy. Also, I watched the Rap Critic's review where he said this:

"It's interesting that it samples 'Baby Got Back', however, I don't like when people sample songs that were already proven to be number one hits, especially so liberally. Now, I've heard a lot of feminists championing the sample of this song, claiming that Nicki's 'taking back the song for women', but… dude, no, She just ripped off a well-known "shake your booty" song to make her own 'shake your booty' song. And I'm not usually one to call a song a rip-off when it's sampling another song, because a lot of songs use sampling to enhance a certain sound that they liked in the original work, and I can get with that. With this? Nothing is done with the beatwork that enhances the music, they just layer annoying, unnecessary sounds over the sample so much, it makes you just want to go listen to the original."

I may have said "rip-off" in a loose sense of the word, but that was where I came to that claim. Also, I haven't heard Wiggle myself but that talk about it is kinda making me not want to, haha.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I'm willing to guess the fact that the song rips off of a well known 90's hit with both the main beat and one of its lyrics (well, two) to a music video with Nicki Minaj and a bunch of other ladies in a tropical setting shaking their butts (not to mention the end where she gives Drake a lap dance) has something to do with it.

That's not my problem with the song, for me it's her insanely high pitched voice that kills it for me.

Yeah I will agree I wasn't the biggest fan of the video for that song, but I find the song cool on its own at least.

As cheesy as the song is, I dare say that I don't think the same (that it's my least favorite of hers). For me that would go to "BOOBS BOOBS BOOBS BOOBS LOTTA BOOBS" (read: I Endorse These Strippers), but that's irrelevant to this thread.

I endorse these strippers is an anthem!

Years
  • I don't know how old the songs are, but EDM stuff by "Savant" or "Heavygrinder" are among my odd music of 2014 so far. I don't go out much though.

Back