• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hail Team In Progress

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    A little history. I played Gen 1, Gen 2, quit for years and started playing again with Black 2. Wanting of course to be competitive I started challenging other people. Without much time I noticed weather teams were very popular. I learned that Hail is my favorite and not only is it my favorite it also appears to be the least used. If there is something to master early it might as well be the hardest. I will apologize that I don't have pictures, all internet usage I have is on my cell phone and through 3DS.

Abomasnow @ Choice Band
    Snow Warning
    Adamant Nature
    172 HP / 252 Att / 84 Spe
    - Wood Hammer
    - Ice Shard
    - Earthquake
    - Focus Punch

This is an obvious choice so I guess all we have to talk about is the build. This build is mostly just for taking out the other weather starters. It does really well against Politoad and Tyranitar while it can take out Ninetails as well just not as easily. This build is to maximize it's attacking ability. Item and all allows for successful faints to win the weather war. The only question I really have about this build is my fourth skill. A friend told me to use it but I've never actually used it in battle. But as I've never used it, I also don't feel I've missed anything else.

Froslass @ Leftovers
    Cursed Body
    Timid Nature
    252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 SpA
    - Spikes
    - Taunt
    - Blizzard
    - Destiny Bond

This here is my sacrificial lamb. It's primary purpose is to be my spin blocker. The skills are meant to take the enemy spinner down with me. I feel a Spin Blocker for a spinner isn't a bad trade. Spikes seemed a fitting choice as it is nowhere else on my team and if you can, why not? The last skill Blizzard is just a powerful STAB attack with 100% accuracy in Hail.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
    Rain Dish
    Bold Nature
    252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe
    - Scald
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Rapid Spin
    - Protect

This here is my spinner of choice. I have already replaced Forteress with this Pokemon as I feel this fits better as my spinner. I've heard Starmie is another potential opinion but I feel that Toxic Spikes support is more useful than Thunderbolt support Starmie would provide. Also the Black Sludge heals Hail damage while leaving Leftovers open to use elsewhere. Rain teams also have to think twice about changing the weather as the ability allows for 12% healing a turn without Hail and with Protect this can really add up.

Cloyster @ White Herb
    Skill Link
    Naive Nature
    252 Att / 252 Spe / 4 SpA
    - Shell Smash
    - Icicle Spear
    - Rock Blast
    - Hydro Pump

This here is one of my power houses. This is primarily my physical attacker. While fitting the theme, taking no residual damage, has good STAB attacks with the extra EV going into SpA for a slight boost to Hydro Pump. I have been thinking about replacing this with Mamoswine but I have not trained nor tested a Mamoswine yet.

Kyurem @ Life Orb
    Pressure
    Timid Nature
    252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
    - Blizzard
    - Draco Meteor
    - Focus Blast
    - Roost

This here is my baby. I am currently using regular because I lack a special attacker that takes advantage of Hail. This build is relatively straightforward. Maximizing special attack and speed to be as fast as possible and do as much damage as possible. I don't feel there is much need for added bulk or defenses due to it's already high stats. I feel my skill choices give good coverage and Roost extends longevity. My baby here usually stays safe until Mid/Late game where it's either make or break.

Heatran @ Expert Belt
    Flash Fire
    Modest Nature
    252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
    - Flamethrower
    - Earth Power
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Stealth Rock

Now this is going to sound strange but funnily enough this was my last addition to the team. I am now aware this is a staple on Hail teams and understand why. This is where my Fire/Dragon support comes from. Granted on a Hail team it isn't hard to find a check to Dragons. With 100% accuracy Blizzards flying around this Pokemon primarily assists me with Fire support and the much appreciated Stealth Rocks.

Please assist me with ANY changes. As I have it now it's decent. I feel it's relatively balanced without much defense. Weather Starter, Spinner, Spin Block, Attackers with Heatran on support. Also I have all entry hazards at my disposal.

As a last note, I do believe this team classifies as OU and meets all rules including the Item Clause.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • If Froslass is using Lefties, use the EV spread of 248 HP/8 SDef/252 Spe.

Forretress has a serious case of 4-moveslot syndrome; it needs a coverage move alongside Volt Switch to prevent it from being total Taunt bait. Specially defensive Forretress doesn't do as well as physically defensive variants, as Forretress still takes loads of damage from Special moves regardless:
    -Spikes/Stealth Rock/Toxic Spikes
    -Rapid Spin
    -Volt Switch
    -Gyro Ball/Hidden Power (Ice)
    Nature: Relaxed/Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Sturdy

Another Rapid Spinner you can consider instead is Tentacruel or Starmie because of their Fire and Fighting resistances:
    -Scald
    -Rapid Spin
    -Toxic/Toxic Spikes
    -Protect/Substitute
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/236 Def/20 Spe
    Item: Black Sludge
    Ability: Rain Dish

Starmie:
    -Hydro Pump/Surf
    -Blizzard
    -Thunderbolt
    -Rapid Spin
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Ability: Natural Cure

Cloyster's preferred item is White Herb to negate Shell Smash's defensive drops.

You really need a 'mon that can check Fire Pokémon well, like Heatran or Chandelure:

Heatran:
    -Lava Plume
    -Stealth Rock/Roar
    -Will-o-Wisp/Toxic
    -Protect
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 248 HP/252 SDef/8 Spe
    Ability: Flash Fire

or
    -Fire Blast
    -Earth Power
    -Hidden Power (Ice/Grass)/Dragon Pulse
    -Stealth Rock/Flame Charge/Taunt/Substitute
    Nature: Timid/Modest
    Item: Air Balloon/Leftovers

or
    -Overheat
    -Flamethrower
    -Earth Power
    -Hidden Power (Ice)/Dragon Pulse
    Nature: Timid/Modest
    Item: Choice Scarf

or
    -Overheat/Fire Blast
    -Earth Power
    -Dragon Pulse
    -Hidden Power (Grass)/Flamethrower
    Nature: Modest/Timid
    Item: Choice Specs

Chandelure:
    -Fire Blast
    -Shadow Ball
    -Hidden Power (Fighting)
    -Trick/Energy Ball
    Nature: Modest/Timid
    Item: Choice Specs/Choice Scarf

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    Okay so potentially change my spinner and add Heatran or Chandelure to my last open spot. My problem is what would be best to support the team I have?

Like do I just change Forretress move set or just swap it out for a different spinner. Also would Heatran or Chandelure be better support for this team. I do notice that if I used Chandelure I would have double spin blockers but with Heatran I could get Stealth Rocks. Of course Heatran with Stealth Rocks is implying I am changing my spinner to one without the skill. This is so complicated lol.

Back