• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] Roots

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
Years

• //FIRST POST STILL UNDER DEVELOPMENT//
    Thanks for visiting my gallery! I'm Zappy/Nina and I'm a Digital Designer currently finishing my 4th Year of Media Design at University. I originally started on PC in 2009 as a Graphics Designer (Artist? Tag maker person what??), but I mostly focus on UX/UI and Web/ Mobile Design/Development. I do however enjoy Photography, 3D Modelling, Animation and Game Design.

Tags
    Only restarted doing tags at the end of last month (haven't done since 2012) and for once I actually have CS6 now (Had elements before which kinda restricted me from improving). I'm still horribly rusty, so I'm still at the not satisfied with anything mode. Probably won't do much of these since I've been focusing on other arts these days.
    Spoiler:

Logs, Typography etc.
    * mostly still coming
    Spoiler:

Digital Art
    Cleared out my drive so I don't have much on me for my digital art atm
    Spoiler:

3D Art
    Modelling is something which I only somewhat started last year. However, I'm enjoying it than most arts, so I want to practice it a bit more.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Digital Art
    Cleared out my drive so I don't have much on me for my digital art atm
    Spoiler:

Game Dev
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Man these pieces look great. I'm jealous of your ability to art so well.

Also, this guy looks like he could come straight out of Hamatora
    tumblr_munjam4qfY1s7x5bao1_500.png

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • I too am insanely jealous of your ability to draw, but I am aiming to start digital art come my next birthday.

That aside I absolutely love you Aatrox piece, and would be very interested in seeing exactly how you went about making it. Your effects in your tags are quite astounding (do you have a resource folder or source page I could look at? I am in dire need of new effects since my hdd was wiped, and these look good. I am searching myself too, so no worries if not).

As someone not that good yet, I don't feel I can give you any real critique other than to say keep practising, and you'll get better :P

Skip Class

Years
  • Thanks a lot for the comments guys :D I really appreciate it!

Also, this guy looks like he could come straight out of Hamatora
    tumblr_munjam4qfY1s7x5bao1_500.png

I never actually noticed it until you pointed it out xD

I too am insanely jealous of your ability to draw, but I am aiming to start digital art come my next birthday.

That aside I absolutely love you Aatrox piece, and would be very interested in seeing exactly how you went about making it. Your effects in your tags are quite astounding (do you have a resource folder or source page I could look at? I am in dire need of new effects since my hdd was wiped, and these look good. I am searching myself too, so no worries if not).

As someone not that good yet, I don't feel I can give you any real critique other than to say keep practising, and you'll get better :P

Haha drawing-wise I still have a long way to go :s but yes good luck with your own drawing endeavors :D
    My Aatrox tag was actually based off this tutorial(it has all the resources I used included), but usually with tags I follow from tutorials I usually play around with it more than what's just on the tutorial and sometimes add a few extra effects and adjustment layers etc.
    As for my resources my computer has accumulated loads of c4d, fractal, stock, brush, text etc. resource packs from deviantART like here. I also remember when I started I used get some from PlanetRender as well if that helps :p

Some new pieces I made today. First time using Cinema4D so I starting to learn to make my own C4Ds. It's still just a start, but if I get better I might start releasing my own resource packs.

ib9NImz.png

0eY5G7V.png

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2022
    Thanks a lot for the comments guys :D I really appreciate it!

I never actually noticed it until you pointed it out xD

Haha drawing-wise I still have a long way to go :s but yes good luck with your own drawing endeavors :D
    My Aatrox tag was actually based off this tutorial(it has all the resources I used included), but usually with tags I follow from tutorials I usually play around with it more than what's just on the tutorial and sometimes add a few extra effects and adjustment layers etc.
    As for my resources my computer has accumulated loads of c4d, fractal, stock, brush, text etc. resource packs from deviantART like here. I also remember when I started I used get some from PlanetRender as well if that helps :p

Some new pieces I made today. First time using Cinema4D so I starting to learn to make my own C4Ds. It's still just a start, but if I get better I might start releasing my own resource packs.

ib9NImz.png

0eY5G7V.png
    Dayum. The two models look like abstract Latios and Latias IMO. Anyway it's cool stuff.

Saki

The Fire Fox
    Years
  • Ouu Zappy! I saw you posting elsewhere and some of your art critiques and just had to find your art thread! You seem like both an intelligent person and a very artistically talented one. ^_^

Anyway, I am sorry for the compliment over load but it's going to continue a bit longer. I really admire your tags, they have so much excitement radiating from them! I especially like the Tokyo Ghoul one, it kind of stirred up my emotional love for the show and also made me smile from an artist's point of view. It's neat to see such a good mix of cool and warm colours, it worked out well for you! Good job.

Also in terms of your digital art I must say if you made a webcomic I would be devoted to reading it! Not just for the art but it seems from that one panel that you'd have an interesting plot going too hehe. Your digital art seems fairly dynamic from the little bit that you showed - I cannot wait to see more.

Skip Class

Years
  • Dayum. The two models look like abstract Latios and Latias IMO. Anyway it's cool stuff.

Thank You ^^ and I never thought they'd turn out like abstract latios/ latias. But Abstract pokemon models... now there's a new idea xD

Ouu Zappy! I saw you posting elsewhere and some of your art critiques and just had to find your art thread! You seem like both an intelligent person and a very artistically talented one. ^_^

Anyway, I am sorry for the compliment over load but it's going to continue a bit longer. I really admire your tags, they have so much excitement radiating from them! I especially like the Tokyo Ghoul one, it kind of stirred up my emotional love for the show and also made me smile from an artist's point of view. It's neat to see such a good mix of cool and warm colours, it worked out well for you! Good job.

Also in terms of your digital art I must say if you made a webcomic I would be devoted to reading it! Not just for the art but it seems from that one panel that you'd have an interesting plot going too hehe. Your digital art seems fairly dynamic from the little bit that you showed - I cannot wait to see more.

Thank you so much! I'm really flattered from all of your compliments ;D Never thought of myself as an intelligent person xD I guess for me, when you comment + critique someone else's work, you're not only helping them, but I guess you can learn a bit more yourself from it. There's been a lot of harsh critics in the forum in the past, so it's something that's been a bit drilled into me :pp

That webcomic I remember wasn't something I wasn't very proud of but I did like that particular page out of all of them (and it was only one I could find :P). The challenge was to draw up an 8 page comic about a "change in emotion" which was hard because I'm not quite good with summing things up within something as short as 8 pages xD I probably won't post it here, but I'm currently in the process of concepting that comic into a game instead :)

Circuit

Years
  • I really like the c4ds. I can definitely see the Latios and Latias in them. Do you mind if I save them to potentially use later on? I really really like how shiny and fluid they look. Perhaps try in future to make them longer? Longer c4ds I have found more versatile in use compared to short ones. But I really like them. I hope you make more soon, perhaps have a set of Pokémon themed c4ds? XD Could be interesting ;)

Skip Class

Years
  • I really like the c4ds. I can definitely see the Latios and Latias in them. Do you mind if I save them to potentially use later on? I really really like how shiny and fluid they look. Perhaps try in future to make them longer? Longer c4ds I have found more versatile in use compared to short ones. But I really like them. I hope you make more soon, perhaps have a set of Pokémon themed c4ds? XD Could be interesting ;)

Of course you can use them :D I made them smaller for the forum, so if you want you can save this bigger versions. Unfortunately, this is a bit smaller to what I would have rendered, but I guess I'll save the larger versions to the next c4ds that I make.
    I definitely know what you mean, I do am more fond of longer c4ds, so I'll keep them in mind for next time :) thanks for that!
    I may make a set of Pokemon themed ones, but I'll leave that later after I experience more xD

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    This is.. wow. I'm kicking myself for not posting here sooner. You've got real, real talent here; the kind that can take you places. I'd love to know more about what you plan on doing with graphic design in your future, because it's clear you have something that few of us possess. Not just talent, but resources and ambition.

For the life of me I can't pick a favorite of your pieces. You excel in so many mediums of art, I can see it's not just a hobby for you. It's stellar.

Skip Class

Years
  • UPDATES FINALLY ~ Sorry I haven't been posting much aside from in the work-in-progress thread. Game design class is really heating up big time in terms of busyness until the final deadline in 3 weeks... I think xD

----

GAME UPDATES

Not my best quality of works since these are mostly works in progresses and not finished things.

Learnt so much with this game and with my team. Also it isn't such a piece of cake to get things with the Low-poly style in Maya - it's apparently a lot easier in Blender and Cinema 4D so I'll be giving that a shot once this project is over. Consistency also definitely needs to work on a lot.

Spoiler:

OTHER 3D ART
    So this was the project I was working on before we got into starting into game (this class had 2 projects with this being the second one and the last being the game I'm working on now). Actually was both feeling meh and okay with how it turned out :

Spoiler:
    This is.. wow. I'm kicking myself for not posting here sooner. You've got real, real talent here; the kind that can take you places. I'd love to know more about what you plan on doing with graphic design in your future, because it's clear you have something that few of us possess. Not just talent, but resources and ambition.

For the life of me I can't pick a favorite of your pieces. You excel in so many mediums of art, I can see it's not just a hobby for you. It's stellar.

Ahh sorry for taking so long to reply Fairy :s Thank you so much for all the comments though ^^
    Honestly I actually haven't decided what I really want to focus on yet, there's been a lot of finding self these last couple of months cause I love doing all kinds of design.

Right now I'm heading more towards game design. I'd love to dive in and learn more about level design specifically and 3D Arts - but since I've only started that in the last year, I still have sooo much I need to learn xD
    Though honestly any design job I'd love to grab a hold of - I just need to actually start getting more stuff for my portfolio and get my confidence on my own work at the same time :pp

More updates coming real soon as Obscura's production is coming to an end in the next few weeks.
    Honestly I'm excited to get down and make stuff that isn't school related haha.​

Last edited:

Ice1

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    So, this is quite some work, and I'm too much of a lazy fuck to comment on each picture individually, but I really like how these look. They area's look vibrant, and I'm liking the cartoony textures. That mantis like creature has a face that creeps me out a bit, it's a bit uncanny valley, haha.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
  • oh i love all of the diversity you have in your artwork! your 3D artwork is amazing. i've never been able to make something like that, what program do you use to make something like that in? as Fairy said, it's really hard to pick a favorite of your artwork because you excel in so much. for my favorite, i really like looking at the taking an old drawing and redrawing it. it really shows how much improvement you have made for the course of 3 years. i like how took a sketchy image and turned it into a pure character that could be in an anime. the shadowing is just amazing. i'll have to keep checking back to see what else you make! keep posting!

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • *finally reaches the top of the mountain*

That was a long way here, surely.

I need a zoom in of the cat that is next to the Chess Board, I just loved it :3

I like your style 8D, I hope we can see more of your game in future instances. Nice to see good talent in PC.

We all knew we could expect this from Zappy-chan

Circuit

Years
  • Aaaaaaaaaah Nina!!! Why do you make me so jealous??? ;;

Ahaha, I'm only kidding. I mean, I AM jealous, but the kind where you don't really mind, you know? The kind where you're jealous but you're super happy the other person has the talent lmao.

After that horribly convoluted sentence, I'm now going to say that the 3D art you do is SUPER impressive, and I never really appreciated before exactly what it is you do. Consider me a follower of your holy artisticness! (Creating new words now, hey!)

Anyway, here comes a little criticism, but you'll have to take it with a pinch of salt since I have limited knowledge to how your program works and forgive me if I don't appreciate the limitations you have to work with or whatever. Firstly, as I'm sure you're aware, the environment is very blocky, however in its own right looks really cool, so I don't really think it's a problem, but maybe if you want to refine it all, environment is a big part of a game. Next would be the physics in the arena that collapses. I don't really like how the three supports seem to be abusing 'noclip' and just passing through the upper ring. Try and add a little evidence of construction and holes in the upper ring. Although saying that I appreciate it is just a model, and this can be achieved with textures, so that too is a little redundant. The physics of the collapse is where I want to build on, and tell you that although it looks mostly good, depending on the material, it would shatter upon reaching the ground more, and depending on the nature of collapse could be spread quite far. Also, the half ring that remains wouldn't stay like that. It's too heavy (though depends on the material) and would likely fall down, or crack in the middle and split. Rock would split in half, while metal would likely slip to the ground.

I can see from the rock formation that a low polygon-based game is likely what you're going for, and I can tell you that rock formation really works, and I can see that as a really cool bit of environment to interact with. The chess set actually is what tells me you can work with more than just polyhedra and you can actually create coherent, more realistic surfaces. This also tells me you WANT to work with polyhedra, so you can disregard a lot of the above I think lmao. I love it, and would like to see more detail on the chess set (I love the game) but yeah, just me being a little fanboy XD

Lovely stuff, and I enjoy looking at your stuff, it's so cool! I don't need to say anything about the creature. It's awesome, detailed and I think if you keep pushing shapes and stuff you'll get really far. Keep it up Nina, and good luck with your project this month! I'll be joining you in the project region, starting my own soon too ;)

Skip Class

Years
  • Sadness that I wasn't able to go back and reply to you guys for commenting on my last bits of work that I uploaded last time! Thank you! Especially Aiden you're cnc really helped!

I ended up disappearing for a couple of months due to uni so wasn't able to post anything then.

//UPDATES:
    NOTE: All my tag's links were broken, I'll reupload once I can find them again

So university for last trimester ended up being a lot more hectic than I thought it was going to be. My only design based class was mostly theory-ish so nothing really much came out of that except maybe one or two things.

Though as promised, planning for 2016 to have a lot more design works done - especially before I head back into uni in March

//GAME UPDATE:
    It was a little unfortunate how our game turned out in the end and being hit with a problamatic team member once again did cause us problems to the game itself. I also believe that everyone's view on the game's outcome wasn't as solid as it should have been weeks prior. That being said there was a lot of things that I did like about the game, and I learnt a lot especially within how I could improve my modelling.

Development Shot in Unity
    tumblr_nut1gdQw8P1ufq008o1_1280.png

Aaand here's a demo walkthrough of the environment I had to make with the help of the other designers on my team. (Don't think the sound on this video works)

More In-Game stuff
    Spoiler:

OTHER UPDATES
    Some simple graphics stuff I had to quickly make for a video assignment
    Spoiler:

Will post other photography stuffs another time
    Spoiler:

Some experimental stuff I had to make for a design theory class. I wanted to bake something and mixed it up with a bit of an RPG theme going.

Spoiler:

From tomorrow onwards I'll be making new bits of work while revamping my portfolio, so I should be posting a lot more regularly up until March when I get back to uni!

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Oooh I've been really looking forward to seeing your gallery for awhile now, so I'm glad you've updated!! It's crazy how many different kinds of mediums you work with, but each and every one looks polished in it's own right. I can't say anything about the 3D rendering since I don't know diddly squat about it, but I really like the shape of the trees and the crytals in the dev shot. I wish we had an artist like you back when I was in the game dev club at my university hahaha!

The jarred desserts are easily my favorite in the whole gallery though- the Lemon Cheesecake looks amazing, the focus is great, and I adore the leaf motif...!! It makes the dessert look even tastier! The food coloring to mimic potions too though aaaahh such a cool idea! Really excited to see more from you in 2016 now!

Skip Class

Years
  • Been trying new tutorials and techniques here and there and came up with this - fun logo for irl stuffs.

t9Tz9rV.png

Oooh I've been really looking forward to seeing your gallery for awhile now, so I'm glad you've updated!! It's crazy how many different kinds of mediums you work with, but each and every one looks polished in it's own right. I can't say anything about the 3D rendering since I don't know diddly squat about it, but I really like the shape of the trees and the crytals in the dev shot. I wish we had an artist like you back when I was in the game dev club at my university hahaha!

The jarred desserts are easily my favorite in the whole gallery though- the Lemon Cheesecake looks amazing, the focus is great, and I adore the leaf motif...!! It makes the dessert look even tastier! The food coloring to mimic potions too though aaaahh such a cool idea! Really excited to see more from you in 2016 now!

Thanks a lot for the compliemts Loki :D Funny thing is a couple of the cheesecakes actually went missing at the start of the exhibition because people really liked the look of the jars/ wanted to eat the cheesecake xD

Ice1

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I like that logo! It looks great. It reminds me of something you'd see in animated youtube intro. But in a good way, haha

Back