• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HMs

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Hidden Machines are something required in the game to progress. They mostly suck in battle, but there are some very good HMs like Surf, Waterfall and Fly isn't that bad in-game either. They appear in all of the Pokemon games.

What do you think of HMs? Do you think GF should get rid of them? Do you think they are useless?

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    You already sum up my opinions about HM. "They mostly suck in battle, but there are some very good HMs like Surf, Waterfall and Fly isn't that bad in-game either." {XD}

I don't think they should be get ridden of, as they are part of Pokémon's foundation.
    It's gonna be weird if our 'roadblocks' are limited to human or random rocks that can't be shattered or push; I prefer what we have now. Though it would be better if they improve the moves, for example altering Cut's type into Steel or Bug type, Strength into Fighting-type. :)

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    The only problem I have with HMs is that they cannot be deleted. If they were made into TMs like Rock Smash was in BW, I would really have no issues. As far as their use in the overworld, I really like it. It makes the whole traveling with your Pokémon thing feel more real, and that you actually use your party for more than just battling.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
    Years
  • Yeah, I would love if they made the HMs a little better, or just made us able to delete them already. Making Cut a Steel or Grass type would be interesting.

Years
  • They are completely and utterly useless. I really hope that HM's become obsolete in future games. I hate having to delete a slot in which I can put a useful move in for an HM. I know I can go to the Move Deleter and fix this but thats a hassle.

It's time Game Freak. It's time.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I don't mind some. Like fly and surf for instance are useful and powerful, even strength is okay. Rock smash, flash, defog, and whirlpool were the worst. They were either really weak moves or didn't even deal damage.

My real hate for them stems from having to teach a bunch of them to my pokemon to get through victory road just to get them deleted right after finishing

Years
  • I am kinda mixed on the opinion of HMs, while there are weak and downright annoying ones such as Rock Smash, Defog and Cut there are also some decently strong ones like Surf, Fly and Waterfall. As for if HMs should be removed in future games, I say yes because it's 2015 and why the hell are we still using them? If they want us to get past an obstacle, why not give us a tool that can do that instead?

Years
  • It is nice that they at least toned down the usage of HMs in Generation V and XY, but it still isn't very good that you can't just willy-nilly drop them. But now that TMs are infinite usage, that's the biggest reason I think they should be droppable whenever.

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
    Years
  • Umm.....HMs they are the mixture of weak and Strong attacks, for ex Rock Smash is a weak attack, Cut is a moderate attack and Surf is a Powerful attack.They are not Useless after all they made the game interesting and more adventurous.

Years
  • I think HMs should be easily deleted like a normal move. Like how they did with Flash in Gen V. I hate having to go to the Move Deleter every time I want an HM removed.

Schrroms

Pokémon Infinite Fusion dev
    Years
  • In my opinion, they should make it so that any Pokemon that can learn the HM should be able to use it out of battle, even if they don't know the move.

It doesn't make sense for Lapras to not be able to carry me on water if it doesn't know a specific battle move.

Meng Jiaxin

Dragonlord of the Seas
    Years
  • I can't stand cut! And rock smash + secret power (okay so the latter isn't a HM but it might as well be one). Dive and fly having to use an extra turn is annoying too. But I do like strength, surf and waterfall (mainly because Gyarados plus them all to good use).

Basically, I really wish all HMs would have at least a base power of 80 to negate the need for HM slaves.

Years
  • I'm mostly for them. On the one hand, I think they make the Pokemon who can learn them special, and some I use regularly in battle like Surf and Fly and even Cut can be useful when hunting weaker Pokemon as it has a high PP. On the other hand, it's annoying that they can't be deleted whenever you want and takes up a spot that could be used for a better move. I quite like the idea of turning HMs into abilities which you could teach your Pokemon instead.

Years
  • If TMs are all reusable then what is the point of HMs? :( I wouldn't mind if we still couldn't delete them via normal means and had to go to a move deleter but to make them required to pass certain areas is silly. imho they should be replaced with a passive ability system where certain types of Pokemon have specific characteristics that can unlock things, like the Machop line being able to move or crush boulders automatically without needing an HM, for example. About time something was changed with this system but Game Freak seems too scared to move past the old formulas.

Plus Pokemon like Lapras should automatically know how to use Surf... haha.

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
  • I think it'd be a lot better to go with one of three alternatives...

1. Devices: When you'd normally get the ability to use an HM outside battle, you'd instead get a device that does the job for you. This eliminates that feel of venturing the world with the help of your Pokemon, but from a gameplay perspective, it's the most practical option.

2. All Pokemon get a fifth move slot called a "Utility Slot", exclusively reserved for moves that can be used outside of battle. The Utility move could NOT be used in battle. This means you can have up to six HM's at a time without hurting your Mons' moveset at all, but it limits your team options due to each one only being able to have ONE without messing up their moveset, often meaning you need an HM slave anyhow.

3. All moves -similar- to the HM's carry the same out-of-battle capability. For example... Slash, Night Slash, Guillotine, Psycho Cut, Fury Cutter, etc would all be able to function -exactly- like Cut once you get a certain badge. This is personally my favorite option. It allows tons of options, doesn't limit your team much (if at all), and means things like Cut can become ordinary 'early level' moves like Pound and Tackle.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I pretty much agree with what Sheep said. It would be nice if certain Pokemon were just able to swim, without them needing to be taught a certain move (much less a move that can't be deleted by normal means).

HMs used to be nice back before Gen V, since you could re-use them, but now that you can re-use TMs, HMs don't really serve any purpose now.

Although I will admit, there are some pretty good HM moves. Surf and Waterfall in particular are good moves. The rest are useless, sadly :(

Back