• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite movies?

Talon

[font=Cambria]Hidden From Mind[/font]
Years
  • What are some of your favorite movies?

Some of my favorites are:
    1. Project X
    2. Interstellar
    3. Predestination
    4. The Nightmare Before Christmas
    5. The Lion King

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • my top 10 (ever-shifting):

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    2. Synecdoche, New York
    3. The Tree of Life
    4. 2001: A Space Odyssey
    5. It's Such a Beautiful Day
    6. Lost in Translation
    7. Mysterious Skin
    8. The Big Lebowski
    9. The Royal Tenenbaums
    10. hmm.m.... American Beauty / Blue Velvet / Eraserhead / Pulp Fiction. these are all interchangeable

Outlier

2. A Clockwork Orange
    3. The Dark Knight
    4. American Psycho
    5. American History X

Years
  • Toy Story 3
    The Incredibles
    The Dark Knight
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    The Devil Wears Prada
    The Avengers
    Wall-E
    The Social Network
    The Butcher Boy
    Elf

It's a weird list and there's probably something I'm forgetting but w/e.

Bay

Years
  • Some of my favorites (in no particular order):

1) The Artist - I love the creativity of it. I thought it's fun they went for the silent movie front there.

2) Collateral - I really like Jaime Foxx and Tom Cruise together in it. The nightlife of LA as the backdrop was pretty cool too. The ending was a bit rushed, otherwise it's pretty fun.

3) Captain America: The Winter Solider- I enjoyed the MCU movies and Agents of Shield quite a bit, but the twists and action in this particular movie is pretty great.

4) The Lord of the Rings trilogy - I got immersed in the world and characters, so the movies have a special place in my heart.

5) Various Disney movies- I enjoyed quite a lot of the original animated and Pixar films. Honorable mentions goes to all Toy Story movies, The Incredibles, Mulan, Beauty and the Beast, The Great Mouse Detective, Princess and the Frog, and Lady and the Tramp.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    My favorite movie has to be Airplane. The slapstick-like humor works amazing, and the performances are great. Other than that, I loved Captain America 2, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Prestige, and Top Secret. So if I were to make a top 5, it would be:

1. Airplane
    2. The Prestige
    3. Top Secret
    4. Captain America 2
    5. Guardians of Galaxy

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • This could be a very long list, mind you. XD

1. Ponyo
    2. My Neighbor Totoro
    3. Spirited Away
    4. Howl's Moving Castle
    5. Alice in Wonderland (original and Tim Burton version)
    6. Beatrock love (this is a movie Takeru was in, and I think it deserves to be mentioned)
    7. Frozen (Yes, I like this movie stfu >:O)
    8. The Princess and The Frog
    9. The Great Mouse Detective
    10. ET
    11. Frankenweenie
    12. The Nightmare Before Christmas
    13. The Corpse Bride
    14. The Little Mermiad 2: Return to the Sea (Tara Strong ftw)
    15. Thor
    16. Thor: The Dark World
    17. The Avengers
    18. Tinkerbell: The Pirate Fairy
    19. Maleficent
    20. Phoebe in Wonderland

There's actually more... but I'm having a hard time remembering them all. D:

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
    Years
  • My favourites Movies are:
    1. Resident Evil Extinction
    2. Conjuring(2013)
    3. The Avengers
    4. Resident Evil: Retribution(2012)
    5. Insidious 2
    6. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    7. Core
    8. Avatar
    9. Annabelle(2014)
    10. Alice In Wonderland

Kung Fu Ferret

The Unbound
    Years
  • Top 20 ( absolutely no particular order whatsoever)

20. Ted
    19. Ice Age
    18. The Land Before Time
    17. Pokemon: Mewtwo Strikes Back
    16. Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
    15. Brother Bear
    14. The Avengers
    13. The Nightmare Before Christmas
    12. Finding Nemo
    11. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
    10. Anchorman
    9. Death to Smoochy
    8. Shrek
    7. Jurassic Park
    6. Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
    5. Wreck-it Ralph
    4. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
    3. Young Frankenstein
    2. The Lion King
    1. Elf

Last edited:
    Years
  • Oohh man, where do I even begin?
    I love movies and I have a huge ever-evolving list of favorites that would be impossible to list, but I can definitely list a few of the ones that make it near the top.

1. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (I love the graphic novels and this movie was gold. It's always going to be my favorite and the only movie that has ever and will ever hold a solid position on this list.)
    2. Sucker Punch (Seriously underrated)
    3. Fantastic Mr. Fox
    4. Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist
    5. Hanna

If I keep listing I'll never stop.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • No one else has even mentioned Project X, Interstellar, or Predestination :P I guess I'm the only one that likes them?
    Interstellar was good, not great, and the more I thought about it the more it kinda fell apart in my mind. Project X looks abhorrent to me. (: and Predestination I am unfamiliar with.

but yeah Interstellar was cool.

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
    Years
  • Reservoir Dogs, From Dusk Till Dawn, The Raid 1 & 2 and Sin City are my personal favourites from the limited pool of movies I've watched.

Interstellar's good too but it's not up there for me because same reason as maccrash.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I had a quick look to see if I'd answered this question before on PC and, lo and behold, I had! Rather foolishly, I said in that post that my top 10 "is probably going to remain consistent for a long time". Suffice to say that my current top 10, only two years later, is only 50% the same as the old one! Some of the differences result from new films I've seen in the intervening period, other films dropped off through a re-evaluation of my tastes and just watching them with a fresh set of eyes. I'm not going to say that this list below will be set in stone forever, because I see new and old films all the time and there's always a hidden masterpiece that's waiting to be seen/rediscovered, and my taste is constantly shaping and evolving, but it's a good estimate of where I'm at at the moment. Anyhoo, and without further ado, in reverse order:

10) A Brighter Summer Day (1991), dir. Edward Yang
    At 3 hours 57 minutes, this is the longest film on this list by far, and also the hardest to find a good copy of (come on Criterion restoration!) As such, I was very lucky when it screened in London last year. (Indeed, it's one of only two films on this list that I've seen for the first time in a cinema, and this film truly deserves to be seen on the biggest screen possible.) A novelistic portrayal of a Taiwanese family during the tumultuous 1960s, ABSD contains everything! (Although, at four hours, one would expect as much.) Even though they're nothing alike in plot, the cultural property it reminds me the most of is The Wire... if The Wire were about Taiwanese child street gangs and love triangles and teenage romance. But they both contains the same thematic density and level of characterisations and sheer empathy for their respective situations, that the comparison isn't as glib as one might assume.

9) Cries and Whispers (1972), dir. Ingmar Bergman
    In a twist from the last list, this might not be the bleakest film on here any more! This tale of Swedish sisterly love and hatred features Ingmar Bergman's trademark pessimism and some of the most astonishing cinematography of that, or any, era. Possible the most emotionally draining film ever, give or take #6.

8) The Shining (1980), dir. Stanley Kubrick
    The last list had Dr. Strangelove, and I still love it to pieces, but I've realised that I think about The Shining on a much more frequent basis. The only horror film to have truly scared me to the point of nightmares, it's a marvel in that, unlike traditional jump-scare horror, it tells you well in advance exactly what it's going to do, and yet you're still terrified. I've only seen it once, but so much of it has been seared into my retinas that I feel that it's always been a part of me. Much like the Overlook to Jack Torrance!

7) Psycho (1960), dir. Alfred Hitchcock
    Mistakenly categorised as a horror, when it's rather a brilliant double-character study/thriller, Psycho is Hitchcock's best by a country mile. It ratchets up the tension from the word go and never lets up for the entire run-time. The shower scene is, of course, magnificent, but everything that comes before and after it is just a joy to watch. And listen to! It contains possibly my favourite film score.

6) Night and Fog (1955), dir. Alan Resnais
    Takes the crown away from Cries and Whispers as most harrowing/depressing film on this list. Given that it's a Holocaust documentary, however, it makes sense. Made only 10 years after the end of WWII, its revelations about Nazi concentration camps told in only 40 minutes are still powerful and draining and harrowing all these years later. By no means an easy watch, nevertheless, I truly believe that it should be shown to as many people as possible.

5) Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927), dir. F.W. Murnau
    A silent film made just as talkies were becoming more popular, Sunrise is the epitome of what cinema can do as a medium. It has pretty much everything you'd want in a film: laughs, tension, attempted murder, a psychedelic carnival, heartbreak, love, adultery, a shipping disaster… everything! And it's amazing how all of the special effects in 1927 hold up to this day.

4) WALL-E (2008), dir. Andrew Stanton
    The only one of these films that I've seen in its first run in a cinema and instantly fallen head-over-heels in love with. To my money, it's the best romance, the best animation, the best sci-fi, and the best adventure film all rolled into one. Disney films don't make me cry, but this one has definitely come the closest. Every time I watch it I smile, laugh, gasp; it's just that good.

3) Fargo (1996), dir. Joel and Ethan Coen
    Featuring the most fully-realised characters and setting that I can recall, Fargo is the Coen brothers' masterwork. Contrasting small-town folksy humour with the pitch-black world of undercover crime, and mixing it all together with shitloads of snow and blood, it's a deliciously dark thriller which is shot, edited and acted with such precision that I wouldn't change a single thing about it.

2) High and Low (1963), dir. Akira Kurosawa
    I'm not a big Kurosawa fan, on the whole. Seven Samurai does very little for me; ditto Rashomon. I actively dislike Ikiru and Kagemusha. I was about to write him off when I thought I'd give him one last chance. The result: a blistering chamber drama about ethics and morality; one of the most tense and high-speed sequences ever recorded on film; an intelligent and meditative police procedural; and a final segment that has to be seen to be believed. Any one of these elements would elevate High and Low into the cinematic pantheon, but the fact that all four are present and cohere into of the most formally astonishing, breathtakingly paced and flat-out awesome films ever made is a testament to the 'greatness' of Kurosawa that I'd heretofore missed.

1) Dog Day Afternoon (1975), dir. Sidney Lumet
    I liked DDA a lot the first time I saw it. It didn't have the immediate 'holy fucking shit this film is incredible' reaction that I experienced after watching Network, my previous 'best film of all time' (also directed by Sidney Lumet), but I liked it a lot. It was upon a second and third viewing that its brilliance becomes apparent. More than any other film in this list - or, quite frankly, more than any other film I've seen! - the characters and stories and settings and feelings and emotions and images don't feel like they've been written or directed or constructed. They just are. I feel like the characters weren't 'acted' and their motivations weren't 'written' in advance; I feel like they're real people that just happened to be caught up in a bank robbery in 1975! I don't know how much sense that makes, but given that film-making is such a tremendous effort involving so many moving parts and pieces and people, making a narrative film that just is (as opposed to filming a documentary which, even then, needs to make narrative/editing decisions about what to keep and what not to bring to the final film) is an incredibly satisfying thing to watch. Cinema shouldn't necessarily only be about hyperrealism and there are wonderful films that have been art directed to the hilt and ones where the situations are nothing like real life but resonate with us anyway. That being said, when you're watching something like DDA, you just get completely transported into its world for two hours. A world that is like our own but not. Hopefully you come out the other side feeling something, experiencing something different from the norm. And that doesn't happen by accident; that's the power of cinema.

Oh, and the plot is that Al Pacino and friends rob a bank and things go very wrong, very quickly. Probably should have mentioned that rather than going on about the 'power of cinema' and other pretentious claptrap that normally sends me out in hives.

You can click the titles to bring up their IMDb pages: I'd definitely recommend all of them but appreciate that some of them may not be to everyone's tastes! Nipping at these films' heels in my affection are the films missing from the previous list, as well as Nashville, Imitation of Life, PlayTime, Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles, Viridiana and Once Upon a Time in the West.

Sirfetch’d

I'm a huge fan of anything Disney. I'll have to say Mulan is my favorite movie of all time haha. The sequel was okayish but a bit underwhelming :[ Also a HUGE Star Wars fan! all 6 of them are in my top 10 list [:

Years
  • I've never been a movie watcher unless it's a film that I've been anxiously waiting for, so in no particular order:

Tangled
    It's unbelievable how many times I have actually watched this movie and considering my short attention span coupled with my habit of not replaying or re-watching anything of any kind, this is quite the feat. I guess it might have been that I was sadly deprived of the 90s Disney movies during my childhood and I'm trying to make up for it by watching as many Disney or Pixar films, either way, it was a wonderfully beautiful re-telling of Rapunzel.

Titanic
    And the award of making me cry every single time goes to this film. I remember watching this in my childhood and during the first time, I was literally crying my eyes out. I thought I might have been too young at that point to understand what exactly was going on, but I still managed to somehow shed enough tears for a river.

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
    One of the better video game adaptations and being that I never actually got around to playing the game, it was a privilege to watch a beautifully animated movie version. Though it may not exactly mirror what happened in the game, it's better than nothing. I was close to purchasing the DVD when it was originally released, but held off too long and by the time I got around to it, they stopped selling them on the shelves.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
    One of the better video game adaptations and being that I never actually got around to playing the game, it was a privilege to watch a beautifully animated movie version. Though it may not exactly mirror what happened in the game, it's better than nothing. I was close to purchasing the DVD when it was originally released, but held off too long and by the time I got around to it, they stopped selling them on the shelves.

It's really more of a sequel to the events of the game rather than an adaptation, but yes, it's definitely a good movie!

Anyway, if favorite = most watched, then my favorite movies would be every Harry Potter film, Spirited Away and Mean Girls. I never get tired of these.

Back