• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime when you were a kid

Years
    • Seen Jun 18, 2016
    What kind of anime did you watch when you were a kid? I'm sure a lot of us watched anime not knowing it was "anime" but "cartoons" at one point.

What did you guys like and what did you guys see but didn't like so much?

Have you rewatched any as you got older?

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • DID ANYONE ELSE WATCH THIS BESIDES ME
    6707l.jpg

I swear everyone I talked to can't remember Let's Go Quintuplets/ Go! Go! Itsutsugo Land :c

Geez I spent so much time from early mornings and after school watching "cartoons". Aside from the being huge on Pokemon and Digimon fan, I did have my fair share of:
    • Card based anime like YuGiOh and Duel Masters.
    • A few "toy" based anime like the original Beyblades and Crush Gear Nitro.
    • Things like Dragonball and Sailor Moon were more influenced by cousins, but I couldn't get into it as much as a lot of people did.
    • Super big on Shaman King and I make an effort to watch that every year or two
    • Angelic Layer and Cardcaptors were also super big for me at one point, and I remembered watching Tsubasa Chronicle xxxholic at a sleep over at one point.
    • Megaman NT Warrior and Hamtaro are kinda the last ones I can remember, but still love them both c:

Heck this mostly continued till I was 15, got recommended Ouran and was taught the ways of the animu.

Years
  • I was weird with anime when I was a kid. I occasionally watched Dragon Ball Z and Sailor Moon, but I never really got into it. I was really into the Digimon anime and the Pokemon anime when I was little though. I still remember renting the VHS tapes from Blockbuster... That sentence makes me feel old. I wish I had been more into anime when I was younger, though.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • I'm a 90's kid, so my childhood was basically Dragon Ball, Rurouni Kenshin, Card Captor Sakura, Digimon and Pokemon (no specific order).

My obsession with all of them really hit me during the following stages of my life, and turned me into a f*cking weabo lol

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Only Pokemon, Digimon, Beyblade and Oban.
    Our TV stations did not have many anime. I started watching anime in high school so... that can hardly be considered childhood =D

I do have many memories of being obsessed with Pokemon and Beyblade together with my classmates =D

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • I didn't watch much anime as a kid. I only watched Pokemon. I caught snippets of Zatch Bell, One Piece, Inuyasha(?), which I'm watching through finally, except Zatch Bell, my brother wants to watch it too (and he wont watch stuff alone), so it takes a while to even watch a episode. Also trying to watch older animes like Naruto and Digimon. Don't think I'm gonna do DBZ though, which I think I also ended up catching a tiny bit way back when.

pkmin3033

I used to get up ridiculously early to watch Sailor Moon, which was my first encounter with anime, although I didn't get to watch all of it until several years later. Otherwise...yeah, another 90s kid here. My childhood consisted of Pokemon, Digimon Adventure, Cardcaptors (which I still prefer to CCS; so kill me) and Monster Rancher. I've rewatched all of them at one point or another...except Monster Rancher, actually. Should rectify that somewhen.

Yu-Gi-Oh! didn't really come into play until Secondary School, and I never had Sky so I didn't get to watch DBZ when it aired, so I missed that entirely. I discovered Ghost in the Shell in my art classes, which was when I first learned anime was Japanese animation. Then I saw Spirited Away. Things progressed from there.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Pokemon, Yugioh, DBZ, YuYuHakusho, you know the classics. Then I got into Toonami, and started liking stuff like FullMetal Alcehmist and Zack Bell. Then there's Bobo Bo Bobobobo, which was downright bizzare.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • Pokemon, Digimon, Doraemon, mmm I can't recall a lot.

Remembered watching Princess Tutu and HunterxHunter... uh... Naruto, probably? YuGiOh...

i don't remember wah

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • Pokemon, Yugioh, DBZ, YuYuHakusho, you know the classics. Then I got into Toonami, and started liking stuff like FullMetal Alcehmist and Zack Bell. Then there's Bobo Bo Bobobobo, which was downright bizzare.

Oh yeah, forgot about Yu-Gi-Oh and YuYuHakusho. Don't know if I ever caught FMA on.

Never heard of that last one..

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Well, I watched Pokemon, Sailor Moon, saw some Speed Racer, and watched Cardcaptors on TV all before I knew what anime was. I also remember seeing Totoro and Doraemon on my friend's TV in Japanese when I would go over to her house. Though, by the time I got into Sailor Moon, it was only a couple of years before I learned that any of it was anime.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2016
    I was watching Dragon ball, Pokémon, Digimon.. yeah all that kind of anime, that was the GREAT time !

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I think I have quite a handful of them, even though I didn't recognize them as anime back when I was a kid 'cos I was referring them to just cartoons. There are Doraemon, Digimon, Pokémon, Cardcaptor Sakura, Ninja Hattori-kun, Hamtaro, and P-Man (I think some of you may know it better as Perman) among others.

Good old times, eh?

Last edited:

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Oh okay childhood.

Sailor Moon, Yu Yu Hakushu (Which was locally called "Ghost Fighter" LEL), Akazukin Chacha, Voltez V, Daimos, Dragon Ball and of course DBZ, Mojacko, and of course Project A-Ko, which we were lucky enough to have it on VHS with Japanese subs + english subtitles.

Also, I'm really twisted at saying this but early exposure to the likes of Sailor Moon and Project A-Ko was something quite interesting. Ohohohohoho. So i already knew that these kinds of shows had all these lovely transformation scenes and panty shots, oh and girls wearing really short skirts.

Aside from our local TV networks, I remember Cartoon Network used to air Akazukin Chacha and Ninja Robots or known properly as Ninja Senshin Tobikage.

Anime... well i guess i could say the same thing as everyone would say. Anime was "Cartoons" to us. That included the Pokemon series. It was only during the 4th-5th grade where i heard the term "Anime" because of AXN Asia airing some really memorable titles such as Flame of Recca, Gatekeepers (still one of my favorites), Vandread, Cooking Master Boy, etc.

Xertified

Shtposting is my life.
    Years
  • Wish I can turn back time, to the good ol' days.

Childhood Anime's were Naruto, DBZ, Digimon, Yu-Gi Oh, Beyblade, Sailor Moon, Doraemon, X Hunter X, Bleach, One Piece, and finally Pokemon.

semi

the magnificent steiner
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2023
    I became aware of the term "anime" quite early on in life. I blame my cousins, of course. And I also blame them for my wonderful exposure to One Piece and Pokémon. Those were my main childhood anime, along with the occasional episode of Naruto.

I've rewatched a decant amount of One Piece, which was an overwhelming trip down memory lane and exceptionally fun, as well as Pokémon, which I couldn't really be bothered to watch through and through again.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I used to watch Inuyasha, One piece, Zatch Bell, a bit of Mew Mew Power, Eureka Seven, Bleach, Monster Rancher...

I rewatched a bit of Inuyasha ( Haven't had time to watch it all), Bleach well I don't want to watch it because of the high number of episodes... I wasn'T a big fan of One Piece(watched it because it was on TV). I want to watch Monste Rancher again, and Eureka Seven! (I admit, I want to watch mew mew power too XD)

Years
  • My first anime was Sailor Moon. I remember being so into it because early on I knew it was from Japan because my mom had told me and I liked seeing something from a new place that wasn't where I was from. After that I got into Pokemon and Cardcaptors. Then one time I was over my aunt's house in Long Island and her son my cousin was super hardcore into Japan as a whole and even learned japanese and went there for a couple months. I was young and followed him all the time and never left his room whenever I went over. Since he knew how into I was becoming he gave me a shoebox full of VHS tapes that had the whole series of Evangelion. When I went home and watched it I was so surprised to see that it was actually in japanese with subtitles. After that I was hooked and could never get enough of anything anime from that day on. Then I got into Kenshin, Hamtaro, Yugioh, you know the famous ones before I started discovering anime on my own through the internet.

kendypls

Currently playing: Expert Emerald (Casual)
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Feb 10, 2020
    Mine was probably the same as many other guys on here, some: sailor moon, pokemon, digimon, yugioh, dragonball and beyblade. (I didn't even know the word anime existed at the time, they were just kid shows to me) In all honesty, I don't think I'd have appreciated any of the anime I watch now when I was a kid, I started watching naruto and bleach early to mid teens, then moved on to SOOOO many late teens and have been hooked ever since. :)

The only one I've revisited for nostalgia has been Pokemon, but did watch yugioh abridged, which had me in hysterics at parts.

Currently finishing up season 2 of Log Horizon, and watching the weekly assassination classroom updates (can highly recommend both!)

Back