• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Jon Stewart to leave the Daily Show

Her

Years
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    link

Comedian Jon Stewart is retiring as host of The Daily Show after more than 16 years, Comedy Central announced on Tuesday. The channel said Stewart, 52, would step down from the role later this year. The host also told the studio audience of his plans during the recording of Tuesday's edition.

"In my heart I know it is time for someone else to have [this] opportunity," said a visibly emotional Stewart. "This show doesn't deserve an even slightly restless host, and neither do you. I don't think I'm going to miss being on television every day, but I'm going to miss coming here every day... It's been an absolute privilege. The home of my professional life. And I thank you for watching it, or hate-watching it – whatever reason you were tuning in for."

This isn't entirely surprising given the length of his tenure & his age, but god, it's looking like the end of a golden era in terms of news satire. With the end of the Colbert Report last year and now this, it's certainly going to be hard to find someone who can keep up with what Stewart has done over the years.

What do you think?

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • He's leaving too late :( John Oliver or Stephen Colbert would have been worthy successors, but they've moved on to bigger things.

I would like to see Samantha Bee and Jason Jones take over though, they're great.

Jayce

x-kid
    Years
  • Man, I've been worrying about when this would happen since Colbert announced he was leaving his show. It's sad, but he had a good run and hopefully he can go on to do other great things. I'm looking forward to seeing who will take his place.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • From what I've heard, John Oliver's show on HBO isn't doing all that great. My hope is that he'll jump back on and take his spot. What John Stewart said was that he's leaving the show, not that the show is ending. I hope that's the case, but that's just speculation in wording. Or Aasif Mandvi. Maybe.

My worry though, is that who's going to really be the voice of the Democratic party? Who's going to show us Fox News for what it truly is? Bill Maher is still around, but he's strictly on HBO. NBC's kinda there for us, but they're basically a joke.

John Stewart 2016.

Last edited:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • From what I've heard, John Oliver's show on HBO isn't doing all that great. My hope is that he'll jump back on and take his spot. What John Stewart said was that he's leaving the show, not that the show is ending. I hope that's the case, but that's just speculation in wording.
    Depends on his contract, I suppose. I think Oliver isn't super happy with the current HBO arrangement. I've read he'd prefer a block longer than 30minutes and more often than once a week. It's hard to be topical when you have 30minutes to talk about everything that happened that week.

His show is good though. It's just him ranting like when he was filling in for Stewart.

My worry though, is that who's going to really be the voice of the Democratic party? Who's going to show us Fox News for what it truly is? Bill Maher is still around, but he's strictly on HBO. NBC's kinda there for us, but they're basically a joke.
    I watch Stewart and Maher faithfully. They are liberal, but they're not the voice of the Democratic party. Those comedians have far more backbone :P MSNBC is as ridiculous as FOX, by the way.

NBC, I think, offered Stewart to head their Sunday morning political circuit show. He declined. He does not like people considering him a reporter or having people use his satire as their sole source of news. He is a comedian first and foremost. I think he's leaving because there doesn't seem to be a place for him to proceed.

If you're working in late night and you grew up idolizing those hosts and watching those shows, your goal is to one day head The Tonight Show or The Late Show. Stewart, despite many multiple Emmy awards, being immensely talented, effectively making Comedy Central relevant at all, launching several stars' careers through his show working as "correspondents", and generally being a success - he's stuck on basic cable. Colbert, who he birthed essentially, got the coveted the Late Show gig. Fallon on the Tonight Show isn't going anywhere. All three of them are good friends. Oliver moved onto HBO which is a step up. So, Stewart sees the writing on the wall and is cashing out and moving on to spend time with his family and maybe direct a few more movies.

The Daily Show isn't going anywhere though. Stewart isn't the first host of it

Years
  • I know I never watched Stewart's show that much at all, but it is still sad to see him go especially given how long he's been presenting. It'll be interesting to see who will fill his shoes though.

Sir Codin

Pfft, hahaha, I haven't watched that in years. Stephen Colbert was always funnier and much less obnoxious about/ignorant about libertarians.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • Depends on his contract, I suppose. I think Oliver isn't super happy with the current HBO arrangement. I've read he'd prefer a block longer than 30minutes and more often than once a week. It's hard to be topical when you have 30minutes to talk about everything that happened that week.

His show is good though. It's just him ranting like when he was filling in for Stewart.

I watch Stewart and Maher faithfully. They are liberal, but they're not the voice of the Democratic party. Those comedians have far more backbone :P MSNBC is as ridiculous as FOX, by the way.

NBC, I think, offered Stewart to head their Sunday morning political circuit show. He declined. He does not like people considering him a reporter or having people use his satire as their sole source of news. He is a comedian first and foremost. I think he's leaving because there doesn't seem to be a place for him to proceed.

If you're working in late night and you grew up idolizing those hosts and watching those shows, your goal is to one day head The Tonight Show or The Late Show. Stewart, despite many multiple Emmy awards, being immensely talented, effectively making Comedy Central relevant at all, launching several stars' careers through his show working as "correspondents", and generally being a success - he's stuck on basic cable. Colbert, who he birthed essentially, got the coveted the Late Show gig. Fallon on the Tonight Show isn't going anywhere. All three of them are good friends. Oliver moved onto HBO which is a step up. So, Stewart sees the writing on the wall and is cashing out and moving on to spend time with his family and maybe direct a few more movies.

The Daily Show isn't going anywhere though. Stewart isn't the first host of it

I should have said Liberal, but I do also mean Democrat. The thing is, Republicans have their whole channel dedicated to criticizing anything they disagree with. Democrats AND Liberals don't really have that advantage. I'm really hoping John Oliver or someone else that's respectable will take his place, I really do. Otherwise, Fox News will take that opportunity to criminalize the Democratic Party for electing Obama in the first place.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I kinda figured that without Colbert and with Oliver over at HBO, that it would be a matter of time before Stewart left too. They had a good run and I'm sad to see him go. But who now will spoof the infotainment nature of news and skewer idiots in the media and in politics for us? We need this kind of satire around, I think.

Back