• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Don't buy "20 cards plus 1 foil card" packs!

icycatelf

Alex
Years
  • It's a rip-off!

They're just repackaged cards from the XY Kalos Starter Kits. Half of the contents are Energy/Trainer cards, and the foil card might not even be one of the rare ones (for instance, I got Frogadier -- it could've at least been Greninja!). They cost just as much as normal boosters, but at least normal boosters guarantee 1 rare card, a shot at Secret Rares, and a code card if you play the game online.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2015
    Are you talking about the "random" bundles on ebay?

I would definitely stay away from those. The people selling them aren't stupid. They're trying to make a profit off of Pokemon cards. They achieve this by creating bundles that are never quite worth what the buyer is paying, but not so bad that the buyer will be mad enough to leave negative feedback (clearly the seller you bought from failed at this). Maybe once in a blue moon they'll send out a really good bundle so someone mentions it in their feedback, but that's like playing the lottery.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Are you talking about the "random" bundles on ebay?

I would definitely stay away from those. The people selling them aren't stupid. They're trying to make a profit off of Pokemon cards. They achieve this by creating bundles that are never quite worth what the buyer is paying, but not so bad that the buyer will be mad enough to leave negative feedback (clearly the seller you bought from failed at this). Maybe once in a blue moon they'll send out a really good bundle so someone mentions it in their feedback, but that's like playing the lottery.
    No, I'm talking about the ones that you can find at Walmart, Toys-R-Us, and other stores, though the online ones are just as bad. I hate when people guarantee 1 "holo" card and you get a refractor Combee. :/

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    I think i've seen people open these and get commons from old sets like Base Set. They are 3rd party products usually.

I only buy 3rd party products from Walmart/Target if they contain packs in them. Not those pop series packs but actual packs.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • I think i've seen people open these and get commons from old sets like Base Set. They are 3rd party products usually.

I only buy 3rd party products from Walmart/Target if they contain packs in them. Not those pop series packs but actual packs.
    Similar products like these have included old cards. I remember getting one 3-5 years ago that had the reverse-holo Entei promo in it. That was a nice find since I was never able to see the movie in theaters as a kid and no one was willing to part with theirs.

However, this specific type of pack seems to only contain cards from the XY Kalos Starter Kits (the one I got and all the opening videos I've seen have had them).

Nidorina of Time Lord

Waiting for the Sun to come...
    Years
  • I've bought this before, actually. I usually get Unova cards but I've got ones as far back as Gen 4. Though, the foil card is almost always Happiny. I get mine at target. I like them because they're sort of like a grab bag and a chance to get semi-older cards for a newer collector like myself.

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
  • Thing about packs like that is they're "grab bag" packs. About 90% of the time you won't be happy with what you pull, but if you need stuff like energies and trainer cards they're actually a pretty cost effective way to get them. As mentioned above, though, there IS a small chance of getting something really cool, including older cards, and you're GUARANTEED a foil. Might not be a great foil, might even be a crap one, but it's still a foil. Normal boosters have half as many cards and might not even have a foil.

I'd rather get a 20 card pack with cards from various sets, half of which are energies, and a guaranteed foil... than another Roaring Skies with a friggin' non-holo bird.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    I think the op said the foil was a reverse Frogadier? If that's the case then technically that's not a foil, at least I don't consider regular uncommon reverses to be foils. Especially not in a grab bag where they're advertising it.

I know Target had 3 packs awhile back, they were green and had 3 packs, usually you got 1 Xy, 1 black and white and an early black and white pack, or maybe 2 plasma freeze and an Xy base set.

Every pack would also come with a random holo card, it could be a rev entei promo, an eeveelution promo from the solve on collection or a regular rev. I had a ton of luck with these though, I pulled so many secret rares out of them so I didn't really care about the rev buneary.

I've seen packs at Walmart recently, they're backwards and in a stack, usually based on youtube videos they contain like 20 energies plus commons and uncommons and 1 holo,it could be an old holo or a rev. But they cost 10 dollars, the same price as the 3 packs I got with the Mewtwo Full Art and Rare Candy shiny....

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2015
    Yeah those weird packs always have so many energies...I once spent a good 30 minutes with my husband in the card aisle trying to get a peek at some of the cards in one of those packs. We managed to see that the pack is basically just energies and garbage cards...I would not recommend them.

Nidorina of Time Lord

Years
  • Well, I used to get good things but now it gets worse and worse. The last two were almost all energies, plus some weird "Championship" cards with different backs and silver bordere.

Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2015
    Yeah, these are never ever good things to buy, they are just cheaply re-packaged unsellable cards that are turned around to have the illusion of there being something good in them, even though whoever opened the original sealed pack already took any somewhat good cards from it

Nidorina of Time Lord

Years
  • Yeah, these are never ever good things to buy, they are just cheaply re-packaged unsellable cards that are turned around to have the illusion of there being something good in them, even though whoever opened the original sealed pack already took any somewhat good cards from it

At least they're legit and not overpriced. I get 1 pack of 26 for 5 dollars. I will not be getting any again, because I no longer go to the store I got them from. Actually, I pulled a holo generation 4 Charizard from one, so they may have good things in them, albeit VERY RARELY.

here's a good idea: The collector's boxes. They are the new packs but they come with a few older cards (generation 4 or 5) and a mini binder. $9.99 at my store.

Back