• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y character creation: like it or not?

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Personally I don't like the character creation. all the characters look stupid to me :p
    Also I feel like all the characters in previous games have such interesting personalities, and I like to roleplay as them. with the x/y characters I can't really do that.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I really liked the character customization in X/Y. I've just always liked to have the ability to customize your character for some reason.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • You're saying the ability to customize your character makes it harder to roleplay as them?

I loved character customization, personally. It gave a lot of different options and it made my character feel much more personalized and unique. I hope they bring it into future games too :)

Years
  • I think it's a good step forward in the right direction... but it's still too limited. No gender-restricted clothing, more hair styles and colors for both genders (especially longer hair for boys), and the ability to do without the hat.

Years
  • I'm a person that enjoys being able to make my mark on anything of mine, so having that ability in a Pokemon game is amazing for me. However, as WindriderShiva said, less gender-based restrictions would be appreciated; I mean, I play as the female, who has a lot of options, but still, the male character has good clothes too.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Definitely like. I've been wanting to see them put-together such a feature for a while, and it was nice to see it finally come to fruition.

Sliter

Gaijin Trainer
    Years
  • I agree about not being unique, I think stuff like skin cold be different characters to choose, not a "what if he had this [skin] ", would be more interesting ... OR something you REALLY personalize your character, like these MMORPG XD or pokemon battle revolution that the idea is making you a character... +/- that .

It's like the boy/girl stuff I never liked .. for example in Crystal, it's basically " if Gold was a girl, she's gonna be Crys!"(even similar clothes taste xD), same in FRLG, in RS this get better because the counterpart had participation in game, but still stuff like, both have same mom technically :v Not in your actual game but who started a game with the girl (if you was the boy), the house/mom,stuff are the same , so still like " if the mom had a boy or a girl", but taking the other getting another role not in the same family :v something must change in this aspect XD Like being actually brother and sister or starting in different houses depending the choice ...

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I agree about not being unique, I think stuff like skin cold be different characters to choose, not a "what if he had this [skin] ", would be more interesting ... OR something you REALLY personalize your character, like these MMORPG XD or pokemon battle revolution that the idea is making you a character... +/- that .

It's like the boy/girl stuff I never liked .. for example in Crystal, it's basically " if Gold was a girl, she's gonna be Crys!"(even similar clothes taste xD), same in FRLG, in RS this get better because the counterpart had participation in game, but still stuff like, both have same mom technically :v Not in your actual game but who started a game with the girl (if you was the boy), the house/mom,stuff are the same , so still like " if the mom had a boy or a girl", but taking the other getting another role not in the same family :v something must change in this aspect XD Like being actually brother and sister or starting in different houses depending the choice ...

They don't even bother to change the dialog of the NPC's either, as in FrLg a lass hits on you even if you're playing Leaf, and in XY Shauna seems to have a crush on the Player even if you're playing as Serena...Same with Lisia in OrAs with May These moments make it seem like the Male is still the canon character...out of those only FrLg can be justified as they were close remakes of RG which only had Red, and HgSs makes Red the canon character anyways.

Years
  • I can see what you pointed there, ORandAS. The fact dialogue doesn't seem to change much when you play as the female trainer makes you believe the male trainer is the canonical one.

But on the topic of customization, it was a very fresh feature to see in a main Pokemon game, even if you have shallow options. I do like mixing up clothing combinations from time to time, and hopefully it will return in the XY third version or Gen 7.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I kind of have low hopes that it'll return after 'Z' due to the interview they had awhile back that made it out to be a Kalos exclusive. Other features have been removed overtime. The Pokeblock/Puffinmin game was replaced with an automatic blender. Contests themselves only lasted 2 Generations and came back only for the remakes. Following Pokemon has only appeared in Yellow and Gen IV (limited to Amity Park in DPP to a few mons, and all known ones for HgSs). Seasons only lasted for one Gen, but those might end up like Day/Night which skipped Gen III,and come back next gen and remain in the future.

Nas160

Sometimes here...!
    Years
  • Gen VI has introduced many breakthrough features for the series- character customization is one of them, and I love it so much.

It adds a ton of personality and variety to the experience. It's fun to mix and match different pieces of clothing to your liking. Even if you don't make the character look like yourself, it's really nice to finally be able to make them look the way we want them to. Imo, this is something that should never be changed from the series.

Although, it does make the original characters, names, and designs a little more forgettable since you're most likely not seeing it all the time anymore. Even so, I don't think that's entirely a bad thing.

Years
  • I do like roleplaying in video games, but playable characters in Pokemon don't ever talk. This element basically shuts down the whole "roleplay as a random guy with no personality" thing for me.
    Clothing customization is great. I would like to see more in the future.

Kaiyu

Has officially quit PC
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    I liked the customization with the characters. It was a pretty cool feature to have in the games.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    It's really expensive though. it took 3 hours and over 120000 to find something that looked decent. Not a problem for me, but for a beginning player it is insanity.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • I absolutely love the character customization in X/Y, and hope that it makes a return in Gen 7 onward... but knowing Game Freak, I feel like that may not happen, which sucks. The only thing I didn't like was that certain outfits and accessories weren't available until later on in the game, like say the 6th and 7th Gyms. But then again, I like how they implement the themes of the surrounding areas and towns into the styles in certain Boutiques.

Sirenita55

Team Popplio!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2018
    Just arrived in Cyllage City and upgraded my girl to the sporty look, she looks awesome! The only downside is how expensive it is!

Zoroark Cutie

The Illusion Fox Skyfarer
    Years
  • I personally like the character customization. I like making and customizing characters in games, I don't like to stay with the same look throughout an entire game unless it is in first person because I won't be able to see my character, and it is nice to change it up and mix it up and see something else than the default outfit or default looks.

Years
  • I think the reason I stuck with my trainer's default design through the main story is due to how expensive the clothes are. So, I didn't end up buying everything until the postgame in that regard.

Really do hope the clothes in Z aren't as expensive as they were here.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    The clothes being expensive is part of the point. What would be the fun of just getting handed all the clothing right from the start of the game? I worked hard to get enough money just for my Fedora and I have a special attachment to it because of that. On the flip side, if you level grind your pokemon and have a team of pickup pokemon, you're going to be lousy with Revives, Sun Stones, Moonstones, and various other assortables that you can sell for high prices so after a certain point, money really isn't an issue anyway. At one point after selling a haul I had over half a million Pokedollars just from selling stuff my pickup pokemon found.

Back