• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Making a thread for paired games?

Fotomac

Genwunner and proud of it
Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2023
    Are development threads for game pairs (e.g. Magenta and Cyan Versions) considered OK around here?

Schrroms

Pokémon Infinite Fusion dev
    Years
  • Honestly, there isn't much of a point in making your games pairs unless you somehow allow trading between them (I'm pretty sure it's possible, but pretty complicated/ you'll have to host it on a server somewhere).

That's the reason the official games were released in pairs in the first place (and you know, marketing).

I guess another good reason to have pairs is if it's story-related, but the differences would have to be much more than "this pokemon is in this version and that one is in that version"

Fotomac

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2023
    Honestly, there isn't much of a point in making your games pairs unless you somehow allow trading between them (I'm pretty sure it's possible, but pretty complicated/ you'll have to host it on a server somewhere).

That's the reason the official games were released in pairs in the first place (and you know, marketing).

I guess another good reason to have pairs is if it's story-related, but the differences would have to be much more than "this pokemon is in this version and that one is in that version"

For the pair of games I'm planning (tentatively titled R3D and Green 3D; titles may be subject to change), that will be one part of the job of the creative department of Atlantic Arts (the name of my game development team): to figure out what other version differences to include apart from version-exclusive Pokémon.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • For the pair of games I'm planning (tentatively titled R3D and Green 3D; titles may be subject to change), that will be one part of the job of the creative department of Atlantic Arts (the name of my game development team): to figure out what other version differences to include apart from version-exclusive Pokémon.
    Why make a pair when you can just do a sequel once you finish the first? It doesn't have to occur in chronological order - they can happen in tandem IE Pokemon Fr/Lg and Ru/Sa, direct sequel like XD to Colosseum, a prequel(Sorry, don't have any examples for prequels) or even just an alternative version of events(Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, or Platinum to their paired game counterparts). Your team will learn quite a bit from a single game, and you won't have split focus issues. Plus, by the time you're done with one, you may want to move on to another project entirely.

Fotomac

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2023
    Why make a pair when you can just do a sequel once you finish the first? It doesn't have to occur in chronological order - they can happen in tandem IE Pokemon Fr/Lg and Ru/Sa, direct sequel like XD to Colosseum, a prequel(Sorry, don't have any examples for prequels) or even just an alternative version of events(Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, or Platinum to their paired game counterparts). Your team will learn quite a bit from a single game, and you won't have split focus issues. Plus, by the time you're done with one, you may want to move on to another project entirely.

Come to think, I'm also thinking of doing a Yellow remake (simply titled 3D at the moment)... with a twist. The twist being, which Pokémon is the player's starter depends on whether the player character is a boy or a girl (i.e. the male player character will receive a Pikachu, just like in Pokémon Yellow, and the female player character will receive a Clefairy, which was supposed to be the franchise's mascot before Pikachu broke out and became more popular).

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen today
    Honestly, there isn't much of a point in making your games pairs unless you somehow allow trading between them (I'm pretty sure it's possible, but pretty complicated/ you'll have to host it on a server somewhere).
    Even with this, why making two builds? Just do a setting at new game screen.

Fotomac

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2023
    Even with this, why making two builds? Just do a setting at new game screen.

Um, what do you mean "build"? Are you talking about the game, or its engine?

Back