• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

UK Elections 2015

Years
  • I could not agree more on the Greens, shenaningans. Being at University and living with a Green member is difficult because they're so sure of their message and can't fathom that other people would not vote for them. I would respect the party if they had a feasible manifesto, but they are so ridiculous at the moment I would genuinely rather vote UKIP.

Also, we are not one day in to a new government but we have already seen that they plan to introduce a snooper's charter and cut a scheme that assists disabled people returning to work. People will soon realise that the Liberals genuinely did stand up to them in government.

Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2016
    I think what would be more interesting for a party like Greens would be for their manifesto to start like In a coalition government we would aim to..... and go from there.

Being realistic as obviously Greens are never going to win an election but could always go into a coalition with another government and aim a few of their policies as part of the deal

And no I wouldn't want UKIP to have 50 seats but it would be fair given the amount of people voting for them. Heck Lib Dems only had 1.6M odd votes and have 8 seats, FPTP is such an awful system that needs changing. How can you have a majority when only 34% odd of the voters voted for you.

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
    Years
  • Saw the Snoopers' Charter too. Well there goes my privacy yaaay

As much as I support the Tories' plan to provide high-speed broadband everywhere by 2017 and their plan on creating a UK-version of Silicon Valley I'd rather not have the charter than have any of those things.

Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2021
    Tory gov - out of EU, no NHS, £12bn welfare cuts, Snooper's Charter, and scrapping the Human Rights Act? Better get somewhere else in the EU, psyduck it I'm going to Bavaria :lol:

Seriously, this country is screwed. And I've got to get a blinking job in a year!

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    RE: "Scrapping the Humans Right Act" - they're not just going NO RIGHTS WOOO! They're aiming to replace it with legislation that is less malleable for those in the wrong - effectively, stopping people using their 'Human Rights' for terrorist or discriminatory means. At least that's the plan.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • RE: "Scrapping the Humans Right Act" - they're not just going NO RIGHTS WOOO! They're aiming to replace it with legislation that is less malleable for those in the wrong - effectively, stopping people using their 'Human Rights' for terrorist or discriminatory means. At least that's the plan.

Except the only purpose of the Human Rights Act 1998 is forcing all British courts to interpret all existing laws in a way consistent with the European Convention on Human Rights, and forcing Parliament to review all British laws that aren't in accordance with it to begin with. Changing that law to allow discordance between British and European protections would essentially mean dumping the European Convention on Human Rights, since it's not something whose articles you can choose to add to your legislative body or amend or reject piecemeal, and doing so would put the power of the European Court of Human Rights in jeopardy- what if one of those "human rights" is conceded as worthy of protection by the Strassbourg Court but not by the UK law?

From outside, it sounds like a policy drafted by an "everything the EU supports is bad and is only aimed at destroying British sovereignty soon we'll be talking French under hordes of Romanian immigrants" Daily Mail leader writer more than by a party that, at least on paper, still supports the EU.

Years
  • David Cameron said:
    For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone. It's often meant we have stood neutral between different values. And that's helped foster a narrative of extremism and grievance. This Government will conclusively turn the page on this failed approach.

Now I'm not one for hyperbole but this sounds scary as shit.

Source

Last edited:
    Back