• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Trigger warnings

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
Years
I know that you're saying that people deal with things differently, but I also think that you're making a huge generalization with the generation of victims deal and calling people who request trigger warnings weak.

I should have worded that part better. I think the people who don't try to live with their issues(never talked to a professional, never put things into real perspective) and instead expect or ask others to watch what they do or say around them are weak.

Like, if you can acknowledge that everyone deals with stuff differently then why is it a bad thing if someone doesn't want to confront everything immediately? It doesn't mean never getting over anything, it just means that you're not in a place where you're able to actively confront your your trauma.

I didn't say it's a bad thing. I said I don't personally agree with the method or think it would actually help.

I agree that it can lead to a sort of sheltered attitude, but again I think that's a little too much of a generalization and I don't think that being considerate to people being uncomfortable with certain topics is something that's inherently bad.

It's not bad. If someone tells me "I was raped, don't talk about rape around me", I wouldn't be that asshole who still talks about rape. I don't think any decent human being would. I'm not generalizing people, I'm disagreeing with the idea. There's no way to be wholly untriggered, especially on the internet. I'm not saying stay off the internet if grapes trigger you(or whatever, that's just the first thing that popped into my head), I'm just saying that if someone sees something that triggers them, instead of scrolling past and ignoring it, what do most people do? Ask the person to take it down, probably. Which I think brings more attention to said trigger topic than if it was scrolled past and ignored, right?

I just think that focusing too much on what reminds you of x horrible memory and making sure it gets rectified/taken down/tagged or whatever would cause a lot more damage to a person than scrolling past, ignoring and distracting yourself.

Like I said, everyone deals with trauma differently. I don't get it /shrug

Years
I should have worded that part better. I think the people who don't try to live with their issues(never talked to a professional, never put things into real perspective) and instead expect or ask others to watch what they do or say around them are weak.
Ah, okay. I don't personally agree but I understand what you're saying.

I didn't say it's a bad thing. I said I don't personally agree with the method or think it would actually help.

It's not bad. If someone tells me "I was raped, don't talk about rape around me", I wouldn't be that asshole who still talks about rape. I don't think any decent human being would. I'm not generalizing people, I'm disagreeing with the idea. There's no way to be wholly untriggered, especially on the internet. I'm not saying stay off the internet if grapes trigger you(or whatever, that's just the first thing that popped into my head), I'm just saying that if someone sees something that triggers them, instead of scrolling past and ignoring it, what do most people do? Ask the person to take it down, probably. Which I think brings more attention to said trigger topic than if it was scrolled past and ignored, right?

I just think that focusing too much on what reminds you of x horrible memory and making sure it gets rectified/taken down/tagged or whatever would cause a lot more damage to a person than scrolling past, ignoring and distracting yourself.

Like I said, everyone deals with trauma differently. I don't get it /shrug
Yeah, I think you're posts just gave me a very black and white impression of what you were saying, sorry about that.

And I dunno, I think it's kind of hard to say and really depends on the person. I don't think many people would ask someone to take stuff like that down, just for them to tag it or w/e for the future. Maybe in that instance it might, but it's also safeguarding for the future so I don't think it's any worse. But yeah, depends on the person and the context really.

Back