• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Metal & Color Generation Help Thread

Best secondary Pokemon Growlithe, Abra, or Machop?

• Growlithe

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Abra

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Machop

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Hm, so I was watching a certain YouTuber's Red Randomizer playthrough, and when his Arcanine killed something with a physical attack, the next Pokémon out was Hitmonlee. Then the LP'er healed, but Hitmonlee used Counter, which worked and killed the Arcanine. He even questioned what was going on, since Counter should have failed on a turn that he healed.

Years
  • Hm, so I was watching a certain YouTuber's Red Randomizer playthrough, and when his Arcanine killed something with a physical attack, the next Pokémon out was Hitmonlee. Then the LP'er healed, but Hitmonlee used Counter, which worked and killed the Arcanine. He even questioned what was going on, since Counter should have failed on a turn that he healed.

This is what Bulbapedia says on Counter in Gen I:

Bulbapedia said:
    If the last amount of damage done before the use of Counter is greater than 0 and was dealt by a Normal-type or Fighting-type attack (except Counter), Counter will do twice as much damage to the opponent.

Hope this helps.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2015
    Growlithe, Abra, or Machop?

Hey guys, I'm looking for everyone's opinions on who I should raise as my second pokemon besides my starter Pokemon in my Crystal run. I chose cyndaquil as my starter. Leave your comments on who and why. I appreciate the feedback.

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
  • Well Growlithe shares the same typing as Typhlosion and performs similarly so I'd count him out. You want variety on your team after all! Of the three Abra is an absolute monster so I'd go with it! Johto is full of Poison types thanks to Team Rocket so Machop struggles through those parts. He does help you with Pryce though. I suggest raising them both! :)

Sirfetch’d

I agree with Luke! Abra is definitely the best of the three and can function as a Kadabra throughout the game without the need to evolve into Alakazam. Machoke might fall off if you are unable to trade and evolve him. If you have a second GBA/someone to help you evolve though then you shouldn't have any issues! good luck [:

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Have to agree with the other two. Choosing Cyndaquil makes Growlithe useless, and then later in the game Machoke is pretty much useless and you'd be better off using one of the hitmon trio whereas Kadabra is actually still pretty decent without needing to be evolved.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    If you're looking for "the best," the answer is Abra and it isn't even close. In game, the answer is basically always Abra, to the point of being annoying. RBY? Catch it after Misty and own. GSC? Catch it around Goldenrod and demolish. Ruby/ Sapphire/Emerald? Available shortly before the fighting gym - also pick one up for an easy play through. FR/LG? Remakes of RBY so...duh. The trend even continues in 4th gen and doesn't pause until Black/White because you know...you can't catch it. G/S/C only amplifies Abra's absurd OP-ness by making it purchasable at the game corner AND selling all three elemental punches at the department store (they were still special moves back then), thus negating the biggest downside (training when it only knows Teleport) AND providing crazy good attack coverage for a pokemon with good enough in game special attack to not even need that coverage. /endrant

Years
  • Hey everyone. For those who have completed their Unown Dex in Crystal, how do I go about getting it in alphabetical order? I read on Bulbapedia that it is suppose to happen automatically... It's driving me crazy to have them in the order I caught them instead. The scientist even recognizes that I caught all 26 so I know I'm not missing any.

Nidorina of Time Lord

Waiting for the Sun to come...
    Years
  • Hi, I just started playing Crystal and I got an experience share. But is it consumable? Or can I use it multiple times? I've looked it up, but no site gives clear information. If I can only use it once, I don't want to use it.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Hi, I just started playing Crystal and I got an experience share. But is it consumable? Or can I use it multiple times? I've looked it up, but no site gives clear information. If I can only use it once, I don't want to use it.

Its a held item that stays with the pokemon that holds it. So you won't consume it :)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I have pretty much no experience with trading in gen I and II, so this is going to be a dumb question, I'm sure. If I have a Japanese Crystal and Green, they'll be able to trade together right? As long as they're both the same language, they shouldn't wig out and crash the game? And I know there's that Time Capsule thing I have to unlock in Crystal first, so I know I can't test it for some time.

Conversely, if I trade between a French and English Silver, since they both use the alphabet, they should be fine to trade and won't crash the game, correct?

Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2016
    Need Help for Pokemon Red "Speed Run"

I'll try to keep this to the point. Recently I made a list of every video game I have started and never finished. It would personally satisfy me to get through them all and I'm making great progress. The biggest problem is RPGs. I used to love them and basically played only them. These days, i definitely don't have time to invest in any game over around 12-15 hours long. That brings us to Pokemon Red.

I started it in the late 90's I think. I was following a guide, and from what I can tell, I have just arrived in Fuchia City and haven't done anything there yet. So here's what I was hoping to learn. There are many guides online that tell you how to beat the game as a completionist, catching every Pokemon the game has to offer and experiencing every side-quest. What I was hoping for advice on are maybe general ideas of what to stick to to beat the game, accomplishing as little else as possible.

For instance, I remember really struggling to build up lesser Pokemon. I had to train fight after fight just to make them average and useful. Raichu always gave up a good fight, but it was my Venusaur that really plowed down the competition. So, is there a team of five or six Pokemon I can focus on and build up that can get me through the rest of the game? Are there sections of the game I can skip altogether? I realize that I'm not getting the full experience, but it would mean a lot to me to be able to cross this game off my "completed" list.

I'm not sure if this is important, but here's my "A-Team" of Pokemon I had in the field the last time I saved:
    Venusaur (lvl 51)
    Raichu (lvl 31)
    Snorlax (31)
    Cubone (22)
    Pidgeotto (18)

I have 40 other Pokemon captured, so if it's helpful to build up one, I can go back and do that.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any advice you can give me.

Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2016
    Just going to move this into the Help Thread!

As for your question...I'm not really sure what you're asking?

Is there a group of Pokemon I can use for the rest of the game without having to catch anymore, or will I have problems later in the game without constantly leveling up new Pokemon?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • If you want a team that can just plow through without any effort, I recommend the Venusaur you already have and the three legendary birds, Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres. You might consider tossing a Snorlax on your team just because.

Red isn't a particularly hard game. Twitch Plays Pokemon worked out and their team was pretty shitty. They had a level 36 Venomoth defeat Lance's level 50 (or higher, not sure) Dragonite because the AI in Red is kind of dumb. Just grabbing some powerhouse Pokemon and giving them good TM moves should be enough to bowl through the end of the game with not too much effort. All the birds are at level 50 when you fight/capture them, so come prepared. They also take time and patience to catch, as in this game, Pokeballs can and will miss Pokemon sometimes, but I've only noticed that on the legendary birds and on Safari Zone Pokemon. Zapdos is in the Power Plant, Articuno is in the Seafoam Islands, and Moltres is in Victory Road.

Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2016
    Pokemon Blue Game Genie Codes Please

Alright so I just bought a Game Genie at an Antique Store for the gameboy and there are specific Game Genie Codes that I am looking for-
    1 Rare Candies.
    2 Wild Pokemon Generator.
    3 Master Balls.
    That's all I'm looking for at the moment and jeep in mind that I have 0 badges at the moment.

Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2016
    If you want a team that can just plow through without any effort, I recommend the Venusaur you already have and the three legendary birds, Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres. You might consider tossing a Snorlax on your team just because.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely go after the three birds as soon as I can!

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • Moving this into the Help Thread. Although, I would suggest you Google them! I'd assume that would be a more fruitful approach.

Good luck!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back