• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Need help with a plot

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    I've been trying to make a fanfic for a few months, and everytime I have something, it just dies off. Mostly because the plot seems generic and uninteresting, and other times are because I simply just lose interest. I feel like with what I've started, I can't make it exciting nor unique. Basically, I'm asking you for help on how I can make up a good plot. I definately don't want to make a generic, adventure fic with the same elements as the anime. That's done to death and usually has the same order of events.

Any suggestions?

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 29, 2019
    You could try a fic with a pokemon's point of view. If you don't like the sound of that, having a fic that focuses around a character that gets involved with some sort of criminal organization without the whole "Imma gonna get some badges and beat up the elite four, yeah!" type thing. Also, journey fics don't have to be bad. If you read Thesis' guide to cliches you could just try to avoid as many of the examples given as you can. A story based on the Old Chateau, Power Plant, or other location in the pokemon games that sparked your interest and has little background could work fine. Of course, there is also the tried and true shipping fanfic. I know this might not have been super helpful, but I would like to see a story of yours up and posted some time in the future.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    I appreciate your input. I was thinking about something really weird. Like, Pokemon turning evil from pain and suffering...I really don't know, it'd probably die out in a few hours of me typing it.

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 29, 2019
    Well, if you do go through with that, it could fit well with the Old Chateau. A seemingly normal estate on the outside, cruel experimenting going on within. I dunno, just an idea. I'm sure that you'll eventually find something you can stick with.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    That actually seems pretty interesting. Ghosts of the dead who were tortured, etc...

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
  • Why not do a pokemon like final fantasy sort of thing?

What i am trying to say is mix pokemon with something in the outside world?

POKEMON OLYMPICS FTW xD lol

Sunnybeam

when the sky is bright
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2011
    Originality? I could help you with that. If you're interested in doing an OT, here are some things to consider;

- Game-based, anime-based, or generic canon? Each one opens up different possibilities.

- You don't have to start at the beginning. A game-based fic I'm working on, The Sixth Warrior, begins with Kalia's defeat of Cynthia and rise to the Champion position. She already has a full team of strong Pokemon, tons of experience, and knowledge, giving me the opportunity to write intense battles without making her an overpowered Trainer.

- Your main character isn't required to dream of being a Master. Maybe they want to be a breeder? A researcher? Maybe they want to start a Gym in their hometown? Most characters in Pokemon have a final goal - be creative.

- Please, please, PLEASE make sure that the Pokemon don't become automatons. Give them personalities, or at least don't limit their appearances to battles. I'll cite from my game-based fic again; Tempest the Staraptor is motherly and caring. Mystil the Mismagius is paranoid and twitchy. Twiggy the Torterra thinks he's the hottest thing on four legs. Pokemon make wonderful characters, since their elemental affiliations can be used either to supplement their personalities (hot-headed Fire-type) or as a foil to their personalities (hyper, overly-friendly Dark-type).

- Don't use a plot from the games. Team Rocket takes over Silph Co.? Been there. Cyrus trying to destroy the world? Done that. The ulterior conflict of your story shouldn't be one that we know (or think we know) the outcome to. Same villian, different plot? (___ returns!) Different villian, same plot? (So ___ was really the one behind all of that...) Totally original villian and plot? Your choice.

- On a related note, your character doesn't have to save the world. They could save...a forest. A town. Not everyone is expected to become the greatest hero. In fact, nothing really has to be saved. In my ongoing fic My Name Is Fuega, there is no real 'villian'. Fuega struggles with herself and nature, rather than some evil Pokemon bent on destruction. True, there are antagonists, but none are any more than your standard breed of bloodthirsty ruffian twisted by the reality of a 'kill-or-be-killed' world.

- Don't neglect other characters. If you get too wrapped up in your main charrie and their exploits, you might forget the surrounding world. You know all those character-du-jour filler episodes in Pokemon? How there's always a person who appears and then is never (or rarely) seen again? Yeah. Avoid that. If you've ever read PokeSpecial, you've got a pretty good idea of how to bring back apparently insignificant characters in a way that affects the entire story.

- Plan it out. So you've got your premise and your characters. Let the idea stew for a while and make sure you know how the plot will flow; where it begins, where it ends, and what happens in the middle. Both of my main fics (My Name Is Fuega and The Sixth Warrior) fell prey to my lack of foresight; Fuega was restarted when I realized I had no idea where I was going, T6W is being rewritten right now because I decided halfway through to add more characters and plotlines. Make sure that you know what you want to write before you write it; you'll be much more satisfied with your work in the end. Trust me.

-phew- And that was only OT fics. I didn't even talk about how to handle canon characters...

Not to brag or anything, but...I'm good at originality. If you want to PM me with specific ideas and/or problems, I'd be happy to help you develop some premises for a fanfiction.

Good luck, Vance!

Reactions: .
    Back