• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Release] Pokémon Essentials, version 7 - 15th May 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    In the next version, you will see:
    - Updates to features
    - Maybe some new features
    - Bug fixes

That's about as accurate as I can be before I've finished doing something. I don't keep a schedule; I work on whatever takes my fancy at the time.

If you want to know whether I'm working on a particular feature, just ask. I may well even help you, depending on the complexity. I do take suggestions, although it may take me a while to take them - I'll at least respond.

I'll get round to prettying up and posting my "To Do" list, so everyone can at least see what I've written down. You can then take some of the notes and work on them yourselves, and turn Essentials into an actual community project, if you like.

I for one would like to help... I do know enough about scripting so I shouldn't get in the way too much.

I suppose, that will suffice for now haha... I'm sure the easier way to do this would be to ask you.

I was under the impression game development was a different thing to playing the game. If you want to test how Gym 5 works, can't you just warp there and Debug yourself a suitable set of Pokémon/badges/whatever?

I know some of the changes I make will break older savegames (most notably the last release), but it'd be much harder to cater to them with backwards compatibility than to just improve things. I don't even try to support older versions.

This is what I do, (although I actually lost a gym battle once by giving myself under developed Pokémon haha, developer mistake haha), but play testing, making sure everything is perfect working order (timed events most notable) could become problematic... But in saying this, the new versions are out and this brings a new era of what the possibilities are, so, older save games should either, be, or going to be, irrelevant.

pokemonmasteraaron

The blind Pokémon Master!
    Years
  • I hate tripple battles!
    Last thing I need is for every fangame to have them!
    I'm glad to hear you aren't supporting them.

Just wondering, Maruno, do you plan to add a GTS to the system?
    The one by Ho-oh112 doesn't work yet and I was a tad disappointed that it wouldn't be in my next game.
    It would definitely improve essentials tons.
    Something that would also be great, but I doubt it will be added, is pvp battles.

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    I've just noticed something done to trainers.txt to compensate for the new changes... I dislike this change for one huge reason... My game was almost complete... And now I've got to go through well over 800 trainers and change everything!

Is there any way I can change the order you have made?

I know how to do this as I did add the gender thing myself with the last Essentials... I would like to know your way though, if you have a way, or do I have to go through all poke[##] and change the numbers to the order I want?

EDIT: Nevermind, I've sorted this... But a question with the seenform scripts, what does this do? What does it check? Any info would be apprechiated... I'm getting an error and I want to know what caused this, I'm getting it when trying to ad Pokémon silently

Last edited:

AmethystRain

pixie-powered judgment!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2022
    I think that the most important thing that the Essentials missing is the Gen V pokémon. I know that they haven't good backsprites, but I guess that this is better that nothing. After this, completed all Gen IV/V effects (moves, abilities and items).

Hi. Yes. This. Please. <3
    Although, I would actually advise prioritizing completing the old gen content over adding the new Pokemon. This is just my personal preference, but were I heading this project, I would rather be able to say, "Okay, we have everything through Gen IV done and done, but nothing from Gen V yet" than "Okay, we have some of the Gen IV/V content, but a bunch of it probably isn't totally functional." Similarly, that's my preference as a game developer.
    Besides, we can continue using add-ons like P-Sign's to put in Gen V Pokemon and it's a close-enough fix for having the Pokemon themselves. But we can't make an add on for the utility of moves/abilties/etc. Well, not easily anyway.

But yes, regardless of which comes first, Gen V Pokemon, or utility effects of... things... this is absolutely my highest priority. I come from a competitive battling community; I want to be able to deliver to them the same battle experience they've come to expect, and I can't do that if half of the new moves/items/etc don't work.

I'll get round to prettying up and posting my "To Do" list, so everyone can at least see what I've written down. You can then take some of the notes and work on them yourselves, and turn Essentials into an actual community project, if you like.

I actually did this on my own website too, and it's worked fantastically. I think it's a great idea. If you could even get as specific as which abilities might need to be scripted in, then members might be able to contribute snippet-by-snippet (I'm remembering a topic I saw here where somebody posted their script patch for the Regenerator ability- not sure if made it into the main release).

Regardless, maybe not through twitter, but even if there was just somewhere where you said what you were working on, I would definitely appreciate that, and it would help me to plan my development accordingly. For instance, not two days before v7's release, I got to the Game Corner of my game, and then I realised that Essentials didn't have a Slot Machine yet. So, I designed the Game Corner and a couple other quick menial games around the premise that the slot machines were broken. I even made Trainers (not just NPCs) complain about them being broken. Then v7 released, and was like, HI HAVE SOME SLOTMACHINES and I was like OKAY :D but then I realised I needed to redo the Game Corner entirely. If I had known you were working on those, I could have just designed the corner as planned knowing that it would be updated shortly.

I know some of the changes I make will break older savegames (most notably the last release), but it'd be much harder to cater to them with backwards compatibility than to just improve things. I don't even try to support older versions.
    From a gamedev point of view, yeah, we can just debug ourselves to where we need to be. However, what I'm worried about is my players. In order to keep a constant audience, I'm releasing rather short, rapid demos of my game. I released my first demo telling everyone, yeah, you can keep your save files between updates. So, I saw some of them soft-resetting/etc to get Pokemon with the natures/stats/whatevers that they wanted for long-term play. One of my members spent an hour and a half catching a Surskit with the right gender/nature. Then Essentials itself updated to v6 the next day, and I had to be like, okay guys, jk, for the next update only you can't keep your saves. They were bummed, but understood. I figured that was just a one time thing.
    Now, v7 did the same thing, and thank god I hadn't released again yet after telling them, but I mentioned that saves -would- have had to been cleared again, and now I'm starting to get people saying that they'd rather not play the demos if their save is going to be cleared between every update. So, I am a little worried about this as a developer.
    To play my own Devil's Advocate, sure, these people will still play the game when it's finished, but, in the mean time playing the demo was almost instantly a huge-community booster on my site, and the people who couldn't play or chose not to were kind of left out. I would like to be able to safely include everyone. And, worst case scenario I can just include kind of a 'default' save file with each update. But, that still doesn't permit that same level care that the players might otherwise put into the game (as in, hour/half for a surskit level-of-care) when they feel secure they won't lose their own progress. Now, I know that making things backwards compatible is extremely difficult. I know the progress is necessary over sticking to the old code. I don't really expect you to put those hours just for this reason. I'm just giving you the two-cents from beyond the developers' side.

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2014
    Every time I make a change to a map, even if it's just one tile, I get a message saying 'new maps copied to the data folder were successfully imported' then it spends a while compiling. It only used to do this every now and then with the old version. Is there any way to make it only recompile when it needs to, or does this version need to recompile everytime?

EDIT: The problem seems to have fixed itself. I think it may have been caused by some maps in data folder not showing up in RMXP.

Last edited:

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • But yes, regardless of which comes first, Gen V Pokemon, or utility effects of... things... this is absolutely my highest priority. I come from a competitive battling community; I want to be able to deliver to them the same battle experience they've come to expect, and I can't do that if half of the new moves/items/etc don't work.

If I'm honest, I agree with this too. There was a time when I probably got between ten and twenty ability effects working and documented them on the Wiki, most of which ended up making it into the kit proper, but aside from maybe two other contributions around that time, there wasn't much coming from other people, and I'm not the best scripter, so after a while it started becoming less easy to figure out which abilities I could/should work on.

As of now, we've reached a point, I think, where the kit as a whole is nearly perfected, and probably the main thing we as a community should focus on is completing the rather huge list of unimplemented moves and abilities. Rather than expecting Maruno to deliver an awesome new version where everything's working without us lifting a finger.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    EDIT: Nevermind, I've sorted this... But a question with the seenform scripts, what does this do? What does it check? Any info would be apprechiated... I'm getting an error and I want to know what caused this, I'm getting it when trying to ad Pokémon silently
    Every time the player comes across a Pokémon, including some cases of when a Pokémon's form changes, that Pokémon's species/gender/form are recorded in a new array. This array is then used in the Pokédex's Forms page, and allows only seen forms to be chosen from.

Your error is probably due to using an old save, in which the array doesn't exist but the game wants to write to it.

I actually did this on my own website too, and it's worked fantastically. I think it's a great idea. If you could even get as specific as which abilities might need to be scripted in, then members might be able to contribute snippet-by-snippet (I'm remembering a topic I saw here where somebody posted their script patch for the Regenerator ability- not sure if made it into the main release).
    The wiki lists all the possible move and ability effects, and colour-codes them based on whether they're implemented and working properly. There's no such thing for the item effects, though.

From a gamedev point of view, yeah, we can just debug ourselves to where we need to be. However, what I'm worried about is my players. In order to keep a constant audience, I'm releasing rather short, rapid demos of my game. I released my first demo telling everyone, yeah, you can keep your save files between updates. So, I saw some of them soft-resetting/etc to get Pokemon with the natures/stats/whatevers that they wanted for long-term play. One of my members spent an hour and a half catching a Surskit with the right gender/nature. Then Essentials itself updated to v6 the next day, and I had to be like, okay guys, jk, for the next update only you can't keep your saves. They were bummed, but understood. I figured that was just a one time thing.
    Now, v7 did the same thing, and thank god I hadn't released again yet after telling them, but I mentioned that saves -would- have had to been cleared again, and now I'm starting to get people saying that they'd rather not play the demos if their save is going to be cleared between every update. So, I am a little worried about this as a developer.
    To play my own Devil's Advocate, sure, these people will still play the game when it's finished, but, in the mean time playing the demo was almost instantly a huge-community booster on my site, and the people who couldn't play or chose not to were kind of left out. I would like to be able to safely include everyone. And, worst case scenario I can just include kind of a 'default' save file with each update. But, that still doesn't permit that same level care that the players might otherwise put into the game (as in, hour/half for a surskit level-of-care) when they feel secure they won't lose their own progress. Now, I know that making things backwards compatible is extremely difficult. I know the progress is necessary over sticking to the old code. I don't really expect you to put those hours just for this reason. I'm just giving you the two-cents from beyond the developers' side.
    You make an eminently reasonable point. Although I'm still not keen on including backwards compatibility, I'd be willing to help with creating some kind of save patcher. If one of you guys wants to be in charge of it, and make it a mini-project that anyone can download and use, please let me know. Obviously it'll require some scripting knowledge.

As of now, we've reached a point, I think, where the kit as a whole is nearly perfected, and probably the main thing we as a community should focus on is completing the rather huge list of unimplemented moves and abilities. Rather than expecting Maruno to deliver an awesome new version where everything's working without us lifting a finger.
    "Nearly perfected"... You clearly haven't seen my "To Do" list. :P

I do agree with this, though. I welcome any contributions. The four big areas are item effects, move effects, ability effects and move animations. I really don't want to have to do them all myself. Any level of contribution works, from a full effect/animation to suggestions on how to implement them/improve the Animation Editor, to contributing resources (e.g. animation cel sheets).

You use Essentials. You should contribute to it.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I'm absolutely not going to be adding Triple Battles or Rotation Battles into Essentials, because they're silly. That's not the direction I want to take Essentials in. Also, they'd be very hard to do.
    I thinks that you need to be less personal in a community project. Anyway, this is a latter subject.

On a side note, do you use a Google translator FL ., I don't fully understand you sometimes and I kind of think I know what you're talking about, but don't always get it right, this is just so, if I get confused in future, I know to ask you rather than guess, took a while for me to understand something you helped me a while back, had to re-read a few things, to get the answer, but I got there in the end, this is nothing against you, I'd just like to know :classic:.
    Rarely, most when a word or expression won't come in my head.

I've just noticed something done to trainers.txt to compensate for the new changes... I dislike this change for one huge reason... My game was almost complete... And now I've got to go through well over 800 trainers and change everything!
    This is the point that I guess that Maruno need to think more. Some PBS system edits will make some developers with PBS greatly edited to make very boring and time-consuming adjustment.

Some items/moves that you change the internal number also mess with save games, like making a pokémon with pound (old internal number 1) have megahorn (new internal number 1) in the place. And greatly custom content make this even worse.

I was under the impression game development was a different thing to playing the game. If you want to test how Gym 5 works, can't you just warp there and Debug yourself a suitable set of Pokémon/badges/whatever?
    For the developers have a great balance notion they need to play the entire game to get the good pokémonset/itemset/moneyset for each portion (and even making rookies mistakes like don't picking some items). Not to mention about the variable values that are defined through the game.

Try to make a begin/rescue with old system on the rescue (untested). You can also try to make a system to load other variables for some savefile like at least the $PokemonStorage/$Trainer to picks the party and PC Storage. Put also some block to load only one time for Player ID and checks (by switch, variables or other thing) if it is an old save.

Also, I agree that people need to support more Maruno. Some fangames made using the Essentials have more support than the base kit XD

Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2023
    attack animations dont seam to be working (things like fly and dive the user stays on screen then there meant to b 'away'

the__end

Pixel Artist
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2016
    Add Whirlpool and Defog field effects
    Also Rock Climb?
    Figure out how to make/remove fog

well you should definitely add these options...
    field moves that are included in pokemon games should be 100% in essentials! ;)

Last edited:

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2016
    New Game Question

when i start a new game it doesn't go straight to the oak speech and character naming. Why is this. I just started making a new game with a brand new file. I hit new game and was instantly teleported to the test map 2.

I don't know what to do please help.

Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2023
    when i start a new game it doesn't go straight to the oak speech and character naming. Why is this. I just started making a new game with a brand new file. I hit new game and was instantly teleported to the test map 2.

I don't know what to do please help.

it was mentioned somewere earlier but you need to re enable autorun on the event in the intro map that has oak speach and disable the other event

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    Question about Evolution... Can there be an unlimited amount of Evolution methods, or is it fixed to 33?

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    It's unlimited, but you'd need to change a bit of code to add in even more available methods (e.g. adding names/parameter types for them). The wiki has a brief description.

Rayziken 2

Beginning ROM Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2016
    Seeing as though I've got a crappy computer that makes .rar files open in picture manager, so is there a .zip file that I could download?

Oh, and I might forget to respond because of my terrible memory, so if anyone could PM or VM me then I'd be a happy camper.

the__end

Pixel Artist
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2016
    Seeing as though I've got a crappy computer that makes .rar files open in picture manager, so is there a .zip file that I could download?

Oh, and I might forget to respond because of my terrible memory, so if anyone could PM or VM me then I'd be a happy camper.

use winrar or this one http://www.7-zip.org/ to open the file...

Years
  • I've been having problems on menus, (eg. Pause, Intro Screen) where the menu defaults to the bottom option. Tried it on a vanilla download, can't think of what might be wrong. Thanks in advance!

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I've been having problems on menus, (eg. Pause, Intro Screen) where the menu defaults to the bottom option. Tried it on a vanilla download, can't think of what might be wrong. Thanks in advance!
    I have no idea why that might be. It doesn't happen to me, and hasn't been mentioned by anyone else.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back